1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Baron Davis Vs. Steve Francis: The Facts

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Da Man, Feb 28, 2004.

1. Desert Scar

Desert Scar Contributing Member

What facts are not on my side? My point is Francis is better on a team where he is the man (e.g., 20-6-6- type seasons) than a team where he has to work within the context of other players, including a better 1st option.

I admit Francis has been a fairly consistently good shooter/scorer (fg%, PPS) for a guard in the NBA. But he also has never even reached 7 APG, and never beaten 2.0 A/TO--both very low marker for a top NBA PG. What is even worse is Francis high in APG (6.6) was his 1st year and high in A/TO (2.0) was in his 2nd year. Thus his first 2 years he was more effective in traditional PG markers than the last 3 years when he is supposed to be in his prime.

So Dr.N, I am not sure what you point it, but Francis's pattern is clear.

I am not sure Baron is the answer actually. But Baron is 3 years younger, is the better defender, seems to be getting better (while Francis may be stagnating at best), and has never had a season below 2.0 A/TO (averages 2.6 for his career). Further, the Rockets biggest problem as a team since Francis has been here has been TO differential, if Baron helps that that is worth the loss in a few FG% difference just in there shooting. I am sure if you extrapolate you will find Baron's (.5-1.0) A/TO improvement far more important to winning than the .01-.03% difference in there shooting (and this ignores the defensive improvement Baron brings as well).

Think Dallas or Sac or perhaps NJ. When healthy Webber or Dirk usually down low are the #1 offensive options, perhaps Kmart is top half court option for NJN. But Bibby, Nash, & Kidd both work well off this becuase of their decision making. Nash and Kidd of course also run terrific breaks and do other things, but they can certainly be very effective in the half court based on big guys down low when necc because usually the defense is scrabling after a kick out from their big guys (in respose to a double) and they know what to do.

Like I said I don't know Baron would be better in our system, but he is younger, a better defender, and we know from Francis 5 consistent years he isn't well adapted to what the Rockets need to run to be most successful (through a Hakeem or Yao) so it is worth a shot if presented.

2. voice

voice Member

baron's simply better.