1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Barney Frank's Partner: Fannie Mae Executive

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by weslinder, Oct 6, 2008.

1. weslinder

weslinder Contributing Member

I'm sure that the House and the DNC will bring the full force of reprimand against Barney Frank, like when he was caught allowing another partner to prostitute himself out of his house.

http://www.businessandmedia.org/articles/2008/20080924145932.aspx

(Ignore all of the media bias talk in this article. It distracts from the meat, which is that Barney Bubble was sleeping with the executive he was responsible for regulating.)

2. basso

basso Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

barney bears as much responsibility for the financial meltdown as anyone. it's a shame he's got a safe seat; in a just world, he'd be recognized for being as big a clown as the congress has to offer.

3. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

I like how, in the alternate reality view of history that will be defeated in a month :)D), the evil democrats were able to boss the republicans who controlled the house for 12 straight years around. I guess Barney must have really made them his b****.

4. basso

Supporting Member

how's your 401k doing today sam?

5. rimrocker

rimrocker Contributing Member

You guys need to get your story straight... are you blaming the meltdown on blacks or gays?

6. basso

Supporting Member

poor gay blacks.

7. rimrocker

Hmmm. I expected more... poor gay blacks with hispanic lovers.

8. giddyup

giddyup Contributing Member

I thought it was just The Greedy... :confused:

9. weslinder

Seriously, rimrocker? You know better than this. I don't care who Barney Frank has sex with, but if he is in a position to personally benefit from actions of Congress, Congressman Frank should recuse himself from those votes and the development of those bills. He hasn't. In fact, he has been right in the middle of all action regarding Fannie and Freddie.

10. rimrocker

Frank's relationship has been known since the early 90's and ended in 1998.

Do some research and find out what percentage of the loans were given out through the CRA and compare the default rate with other loans.

What next? Blame Carter for busting the bubble by building too many cheap houses on weekends?

11. weslinder

I don't know why you brought up the CRA. I think it's a red herring, and has nothing to do with Barney Bubble's relationship with the man he was supposed to be regulating.

If your ex-partner were a congressman, and he had a bunch of other friends that were firefighters for the Forest Service, and he got considerably more campaign donations from firefighters for the Forest Service than any other congressman, the proper thing would be for him to recuse himself from writing or voting on bills that affect firefighters for the Forest Service. I am forced by government to do that in the private sector, and if Frank had worked in the private sector and done similar to what he's done, he would be guilty of conflict of interest. The only difference is that Frank's conflict of interest affects every taxpayer.

12. rimrocker

If you applied that principle, every bill would find itself waiting for a quorum.

13. weslinder

Or Congress would start policing itself.