1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Barkley Trade Revisted

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by legacygt777, Feb 25, 2018.

1. legacygt777

legacygt777 Member

While I thought the 95 Drexler trade was great, I truly believe the Barkley trade was a huge mistake.

We can only imagine a better and more experienced Sam Cassell, Robert Horry, Chucky Brown, and Mark Bryant for 96-97 that we gave up for Barkley. I believe the year before there were too many injuries .

Hands down I feel the rox would have taken the Bulls in the finals and had a 3peat. Thoughts?

#1 legacygt777, Feb 25, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 25, 2018
  2. Aleron

Aleron Contributing Member

unsure what you mean, barkley didn't get here til 96'97, unless you mean that season, in that case we would have lost to seattle again

And no, no one was beating the 96 bulls (96 was the 95'96 team, the year is colloquially referred to which one the season ends, not begins), that team wasn't just jordan back, they added rodman, a bunch of roleplayers and were quite the juggernaut

edit : it only dawned on me after my initial post that you hadn't seen it, and were completely mixed up about which years which happened, we got swept in '96 without barkley by, of course, seattle

#2 Aleron, Feb 25, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 25, 2018
    legacygt777 likes this.
  3. Baqui99

Baqui99 Contributing Member

/end thread

B-Bob, RKREBORN and Ziggy like this.
  4. Jontro

Jontro Member

but that one game where barkley grabbed 50 rebounds doe

5. The Hunted

The Hunted Member

/thread

It was the Pippen trade that set the Rockets back.

6. photojoe

photojoe Member

Basically this.

The NBA is all about matchups. Seattle was a horrible matchup for us. We traded for Barkley to help us deal with Seattle, not to deal with Chicago.

This is the reason Jordan said "Thank God they (Houston) can't get out of the West"... or something along those lines

7. legacygt777

legacygt777 Member

96 we had lots of injuries . I'm aware of the sweep.

tinman likes this.
  8. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

That was the year Les changed our uniforms.

The ugliest uniforms in the history of the world.

RasaqBoi, Tomstro, smp and 4 others like this.
  9. legacygt777

legacygt777 Member

yes, why those unis?

10. H-Town Rockets Guy

I don't think Barkley trade was a mistake. We still had a really good chance to make it all the way. The main reason we made that trade is to beat Seattle Supersonics. Barkley and the Phoenix Suns owned them. Hakeem played his worst games against Seattle because of the Match up he had with Sam Perkins. He wasn't a traditional back to the basket post up guy that usually played Center position. Barkley would have been the answer to solve the Seattle nightmare. The Pippen trade was a mistake because of the clash of egos on that team with Barkley, Drexler, and Pippen.

fattz and bloodwings19 like this.
  11. tinman

Supporting Member

Les is from New York. Pinstripes like the Yankees. Blue cause it's not red. Red Nation?? Hell No, unless China pays me...wait.

http://www.nba.com/history/uniforms_rockets.html
    Out With the (G)old
    The Rockets made a major change following the 1994-95 Championship season, switching the team's colors to red and blue and adding pinstripes to their uniforms. Charles Barkley wore the new cartoon-like Rockets logo on his jersey during his four seasons in Houston.[​IMG]

12. tinman

Supporting Member

We didn't really trade for Pippen we signed him for a max contract.
    That's why Barkley resigned for the league minimum so he can fit under the cap.
    And this where he was 'promised' 3 million on the back end for this sacrifice.

He didn't get his 3 million thus the saltiness towards the Rockets organization.

13. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

3 peat??

You do realize the year the trade happened, right. Trade was 2 years after the ‘95 title. Seattle swept us in 96

14. legacygt777

legacygt777 Member

One thing to note, rox beat the supersonics in 97 the following year after they got swept. But Barkley was on that team. I think keeping the core and adding players like sam mack and kevin willis plus maybe adding another guy other and drafting another player other than maloney would have beaten the jazz.

H-Town Rockets Guy likes this.
  15. legacygt777

legacygt777 Member

i stand corrected. I meant in 97.

tinman likes this.
  16. Aleron

What does Drexler have to do with it? he retired the season before Pippen got here.

17. Aleron

yes, we beat them because of Barkley, without him we lose to them, again. The sonics with their (bordering on illegal) defense and matchups were just a nightmare for us, they slowed down Hakeem and the inside out game to beat us, repeatedly, for years. Meanwhile, Barkley pounded the **** out of them for years.

18. legacygt777

legacygt777 Member

And we lost to the Jazz because Rox had no point guard too. I'm not convinced with Barkley now as I was then. I wanted to, but a better Horry and Cassel would have been better not to mention adding Eddie Johnson and others. Barkley's presence changed the locker room.

19. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

We would have never gotten past the Sonics without Barkley.

We should have figured out a way to get a better PG, but the Barkley trade was absolutely the right move.

Robert Horry was just too lazy and too scrubby against the big dogs, especially as Hakeem was getting older. Barkley nearly got us to Jordan, but unfortunately Drexler had already cashed in his retirement chips. The original championship teams were done by 97, and needed a boost from a hungry Barkley.

BigM and saleem like this.
  20. studogg

studogg Contributing Member

Analytics would have killed that trade in today’s day and age.

Barkley, Hakeem and Willis all needed the left block to be effective.

Instead of stars that worked to make each other better, we had stars that needed to take turns.

D-rock, Tomstro and legacygt777 like this.