1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Barkley on TNT - "Rockets will have the worst record in the West."

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Rockets34Legend, Oct 28, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tinman

tinman Member
    Supporting Member

If you were in Vegas, would you drop $1000 bet on that?

Every thing is fine and dandy when people make statements, but when it comes to money their TRUE feelings come out.

2. ibm

ibm Member

can't be any truer than that!

3. HTownTmac1

HTownTmac1 Member

thats too tough of a question..i dont like to gamble regardless.. so idk. cant say i can really answer that question. but $1,000.. yeah i would lol

4. tinman

tinman Member
    Supporting Member

the 'lol' makes me think you wouldn't make that bet.

As much as you are hopeful about the team, the brain in you tells you that "No Yao Ming + No Tmac anytime soon" = .500 team in the tough western conference.

5. HTownTmac1

HTownTmac1 Member

actually, i put lol in there because its a habit. but i would think that YOU would think im crazy for making a 1,000 bet.

6. tinman

tinman Member
    Supporting Member

like I said, it's a hypothetical situation, anybody can make crazy predictions in one direction or another (aka you and charles barkley :) )

7. theimpossibles1

HTownTmac: COME ON!!! He didn't even present the odds. I'm lookin everywhere to find future odds for making the playoffs and can't find em. Anybody else know em???

8. HTownTmac1

HTownTmac1 Member

hahaha good one. lol
    i guess we will find out later in the season. :)

9. theimpossibles1

Its no wonder Barkley loses money in gambling:

BoDog odds to win the Western conference:

Houston: 25/1
    LAC: 45/1
    OKC/Memphis: 50/1
    Golden State: 55/1
    Sacto/Minnesota: 60/1

That means according to professional statisticians who's entire livelihood is dependent on the accuracy of these predictions, 6 teams are more likely to be the worst in the west than the Rox, and 5 of these are TWICE OR MORE likely to be the worst.

10. HTownTmac1

HTownTmac1 Member

so we should be in 9th place?

11. theimpossibles1

Actually tied for 8th. The Suns are also 25/1.

So your odds would probably be about 50/50 for the Rockets making the playoffs.

12. BEAT LA

BEAT LA Member

Would you bet $1,000 on the Rockets NOT making the playoffs?

13. theimpossibles1

That's just a silly question. At about 50/50 odds, If you WERE going to make a bet, as a Rockets fan you would obviously only bet FOR them to make it.

14. Naismith

Naismith Member

This is much more deeper than just Barkley hating on the Rockets,He will kiss ass to keep his job.

I have been a life long Houston avid sports fan.Starting with the Houston Buffalo's, selling snowcones,cushions, and peanuts & popcorn way out Gulf freeway where Finger's was. For reasons I am not aware of, the National media (may just be jealousy) has dis Houston every chance it gets.

This has go on so long it gives a ban wagon for national media to jump on. I have lived in many other cities and truly believe this is not a bias opinion.

naismith

1 person likes this.
  15. tinman

tinman Member
    Supporting Member

Wrong.

You NEVER bet on emotion. usually it's wise not to be on teams you are attached too. Case in point, Rockets were favored to beat Cleveland a couple years back. I thought about place $100 on the game, turns out we got destroyed.

Also, just because you are a Rockets fan doesn't mean you can't figure out if your team sucks.

Look at the 05/06 Season. 34-48 record.
    Look at the 01/02 Season. 28-54 record.

Those teams sucked and we knew that. Hey Moochie Norris played hard too.

16. BEAT LA

BEAT LA Member

If you place a bet on them not making the playoffs, then it's win-win. At least from a fan's perspective it is. All I'm saying is that bet has too many variables making it too risky.

17. theimpossibles1

Oh Tinman I agree completely! Unfortunately I speak from experience when I say do not bet on emotion. What I was implying is that were one absolutely determined to make a bet that has nearly 50/50 odds, shouldn't they at least choose the bet that complements their emotions?

18. theimpossibles1

I don't see how that is a win-win. If they do make the playoffs its a win-lose (win as a fan, lose as a better), and if they don't make the playoffs its a lose-win (lose as a fan win as a better).

19. tinman

tinman Member
    Supporting Member

Rocket fans are smart enough to know when their team is good enough to bet on.

Let me give you an example. in 1993-94, the year after the Rockets lost a heart breaking 2nd round series to the Sonics, the Rockets started off 15-0 and Hakeem was untouchable.

I knew that team would make the playoffs.

In case you haven't figured out, we're missing two highly paid players for the majority of the season.

Let's say Cleveland, the Lakers, Orlando, Denver lost their two best players. You think they'll make the playoffs?

20. Pete Chilcutt

Pete Chilcutt Member

Cleveland wouldnt even make it without Lebron..

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.