1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Barkley going into Hall of Fame as a Phoenix Sun

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by DonKnutts, Mar 23, 2004.

1. DonKnutts

DonKnutts Contributing Member

Compiled By The Inquirer Staff

Charles Barkley says he will go into the Basketball Hall of Fame as a member of the Phoenix Suns instead of the 76ers. Barkley told the Arizona Republic he changed his mind because of everything that led to his induction into the Suns' Ring of Honor on Saturday.

"I've been debating it for a long time," Barkley said after his photo and jersey number, 34, were unveiled at America West Arena during a ceremony at halftime of Saturday night's Milwaukee Bucks-Suns game. "I couldn't go in as a Sun if we were estranged."

Barkley and the Suns feuded for years after he was traded to Houston following his criticism of Suns owner Jerry Colangelo on national television in 1996. It was then that Barkley said he would go into the Hall as a 76er.

But he began to rethink his plans last year when it was announced that he and Colangelo had settled their differences. "This just kind of sealed it," said Barkley, who will be eligible for the Hall in 2005. "If I wasn't in the Ring of Honor or we weren't

2. DonKnutts

DonKnutts Contributing Member

conclusion of last sentence:

on speaking terms, obviously I wouldn't go in as a Sun."

3. A-Train

A-Train Contributing Member

Of course, if he knew as much about the hall of fame as he does about snack cakes, he would know that you don't go into the basketball hall of fame with a team...that's for baseball...