1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Barkley: Energy and toughness underrated [Rockets related]

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Yellow, Dec 27, 2013.

1. Yellow

Yellow Member

On inside the NBA, check the nba.com sequence on the western conference, and Barkley goes back to what Doug Collins said about OKC the night before: energy and toughness are underrated. He gave the example of Westbrook and then turned to Kenny and said the key to Clutch City was: Sam Cassell, Maxwell and Mario Elie. They brought that. This is exactly what I think this team lacks and from what I've been reading, quite some people feel the same way.

So do you guys think it's going to make a big difference if we have some defensive minded tough players out there or not? If so, who are some guys we could trade for or sign as FAs later on?

2. SF3isBack!!

SF3isBack!! Member

Thank you, this is exactly my point when it comes to Casspi and Garcia. I get fustrated because I know Garcia has some clutch in him, but he has been bad all season.

3. BasketballReasons

BasketballReasons Contributing Member

[​IMG]

How about the "Rocket Killer" himself?

4. meh

meh Contributing Member

I don't think it's underrated. You can win without it. The new look Spurs aren't really tough since they moved past Bowen, Stephen Jackson, Horry, etc. The Lakers weren't all that tough. The Thunder certainly have never been tough. Neither is Miami really.

Would I like a Mad Max on this team? Sure. But he quit when the Rockets replaced him with Clyde and the Rockets went on to win a championship. It's not a necessity though.

5. Nubmonger

Nubmonger Member

Can someone define what "energy" and "toughness" are?

I'm not saying they don't exist or that they aren't important, but these kinds of words are so vague and so subjective that they can mean a million different things to a million different people.

6. Raven

Raven Member

The roster is a work in progress, and probably will be right up to the trade deadline. Patience.

7. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

Wow, I forgot about Terry, but now I'm recollecting all the ruined evenings he caused me. Always seems to blow up against Houston. Haven't watched him much this year, but my hunch is that he's lost a significant step. I don't think the celtics feel like they got what they thought they were getting when they signed him.

I have to agree that we haven't been tough defensively, but we do have some "tough guys". Bev and Omer come to mind (yes I know Omer is a crybaby but he plays tough on the court).

If we need toughness we should bring this guy back

[​IMG]

#7 Aruba77, Dec 27, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 27, 2013
  8. Amel

Amel Contributing Member

I thought the toughness came with Garcia, but when I heard him speak.....

9. GoRox2013

GoRox2013 Member

I think Bev's the only tough guy not scared of confrontation. Dwight could be, we'll have to see

10. hooroo

hooroo Member

Garcia has always been a streaky player. The hope is he gets into a hot stretch at a critical time, ie playoffs.

11. bongman

bongman Member

On a funny note of that segment, Caspi's backcourt violation pass to CP made it to Shaqtin a fool. They showed Omer smiling after the play and saying Shaqtin the fool :grin:

12. Chris Jent MVP

If Charles Barkley says something, it is probably stupid.

Stop giving this moron attention.

13. Exiled

Exiled Member

U already forgot about Chandler Parson play off games against the Thunder! He gets it done under pressure

14. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Energy is huge. A player playing at or near his peak level of play beats talent being lazy or tired. Rockets play a fast pace hoping to get the other team tired at the end of games or long periods when same unit is on court. Rockets looked worn out yesterday.

Toughness such as committing hard fouls and being a knucklehead is overrated. Playing through pain, contact, holding position, keeping focus through adversity is probably overrated a little based on how much they are talked about, but are very important.

15. mikus

mikus Member

Last night is a perfect example of this. We're still not sure how good DMO really is, but he came in last night with energy when the rest of the team was listless and helped spark a rally. I don't anyone in their right mind thinks that DMO is on Z-Bo's level, but for a little while, with high energy and hustle, DMO was able to contain Z-Bo and help us get the win.

1 person likes this.
  16. backwardhead

backwardhead Member

I think Dwight and Harden are tough. As tough as any set of superstars in the league.

Harden shows moments of WTF in his play sometimes but he seems to be finding the effort needed to consistently win.

17. deshen

deshen Member

Excellent point, toughness ranks above talent.

18. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Some people need to actually hear the message .

Charles knew first hand of the success of clutch city cause it beat his suns.

Are some of you new? Maxwell's clutch city game, Sam's spark and Mario's kiss of death are immortalized in rockets history.

Do we have tough dudes ? I think some but the playoffs are the test.

1 person likes this.
  19. TheJet

TheJet Member

How can you not like Chuck? Dude gave the best sound bits ever when he was a player. You don't have to agree with him but at least the guy has the stones to say what he's thinking, media be damned.

I loved his game and hated when we played him. It's a shame his body gave out when the Rockets needed him.

20. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

He did exactly what we needed him to do. Motiejunas came in and made a positive impact when we needed it badly, and he didn't get 4 fouls in 3 minutes, either. An exaggeration, perhaps, but quick fouls have helped keep him off the floor. I loved what I saw from the guy. He needs to bring that level of play everytime he's called upon, and he'll find himself getting minutes. It's up to Donatas.