1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Barkley-Clyde feud of the late 90's....

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by abrocketsfan, Oct 5, 2005.

1. abrocketsfan

abrocketsfan Contributing Member

Clutch mentioned that he heard some first-hand accounts...care to share :)

I'd like to hear about what actually happened; I liked both guys but everyone knew they didn't gel.

So what did they say about it Clutch?

...and Thomas Hamilton exploded on RudY???????

2. Jeff

Jeff Clutch Crew

I think if Clutch thought he COULD mention details of things he heard, he would mention them.

3. CriscoKidd

CriscoKidd Member

Don't be coy. He can mention them now that ab got around to finally asking about them.

4. Rockets Red Glare

Rockets Red Glare Contributing Member

I am sure if he told you, he would have to kill you immediately afterward :rolleyes:

5. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

Drexler's a clubhouse lawyer, Barkley's a loud mouth. Its no telling what those guys bumped heads about.

6. Harrisment

Harrisment Member

I don't think Barkley was a big fan of Clyde's brisket.

7. MR. MEOWGI

MR. MEOWGI Contributing Member

Work ethic?

8. apostolic3

apostolic3 Member

I remember Barkley once said publicly Clyde was playing "just for the money". Why would you say that about a teammate even if you thought it was true?

9. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

Charles might not have liked the ****-eating grin on Drexler's face after we lost game 5 against the Jazz in 1998.

10. tim562

tim562 Contributing Member

Barkley always speaks him mind. No matter what.

11. topfive

topfive CF OG

Because you're an arrogant pr*ck, maybe?

12. tycoonchip

tycoonchip Member
    Supporting Member

Argh the Barkley mouth.... it has gotten him in trouble quite a few times actually... If Clyde was pissed at Barkely I agree with Clyde all the way. Part of the reason I am not as pissed as Pippen for the comment he made towards Barkley. Hey Charles before you talk maybe you should look at your fingers and check if you have a ring first.

13. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

I thought it was fueled by Stockton's last second shot that eliminated the Rockets. Barkley blamed Clyde for not being able to get around Malone's pick. Clyde blamed Barkley for not switching when Clyde was clearly bear hugged by Malone. But I'm sure the two hadn't been getting along way before that play.

14. JuNx

JuNx Contributing Member

And he has the right to. Drexlers last play was the worst of his career. He pulled a rookie move and we lost.

15. JuNx

JuNx Contributing Member

I think it was more the fact that Drexler took the las shot, but he did it too early. Rox had the possesion of the ball and he should have waited for the last second to shoot it ( giving utah no chance for another one ) and forcing an overtime.

16. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

I agree. I was reminded of that play while watching Fever Pitch last week. The three big Red Sox fans were depressed and crying in their beers after losing game 3 to the Yankees, when they saw three Red Sox players laughing over a meal. One of them couldn't understand why they should be so upset about a loss when it didn't even bother the players. That's exactly how I felt that day. I had invested so much mental energy and money into that team, only to see one of the players grinning and laughing after the team collectively laid an enormous egg after Barkley was hurt in game 4.

17. thacabbage

thacabbage Contributing Member

I can't remember when it was, maybe during the '97 conference finals, Barkley had an interview on NBC where he said that he felt a couple of players (presumably Elie and Drexler) didn't feel the "sense of urgency because they had already won the title" and he felt it wasn't fair to he and Kevin Willis.

18. CBrownFanClub

CBrownFanClub Contributing Member

I have heard that Clyde was a prima donna in terms of showing up on time, and making people wait for him and so forth. And Rudy never said jack, even when planes were delayed, practices started ha half hour late, whichever. Even Hakeem would get pissed. I can't imagine that is all it boils down to, but Clyde - who is very friendly and affable publicly - might not have been as easy to work with as it would seem. I love him though.

19. tigermission1

tigermission1 Contributing Member

It was Barkley definitely, him and Dream had a few problems as well. That's just how Barkley is: you either yield to his 'greatness' or if he feels inferior to you or you try to make yourself appear to be on the 'same level' as him, then you weren't going to get along (This is why, IMO, he and KJ got along in Pheonix)

20. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

Karla bear hugged Clyde 5' in full view of the ref and that was Clyde's fault?

*go to your happy place*
    *go to your happy place*
    *go to your happy place*
    *go to your happy place*
    *go to your happy place*