1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. LIVE WATCH EVENT
    The NBA Draft is here! Come join Clutch in the ClutchFans Room Wednesday night at 6:30pm CT as we host the live online NBA Draft Watch Party. Who will the Rockets select at #3?

NBA Draft - LIVE!

Barkley: Camby Should Be Starting All-Star Center Over Yao

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by hotballa, Jan 24, 2008.

Tags:
  1. Sofine81

Sofine81 Member

I cant remember a time I have been more bored with one poster than I am with WEAKKO..... :rolleyes:

2. MFW

MFW Member

Alright, I'll play this game. This is gonna be good.

So Camby is capable of anchoring a team defensively but his team is not a great defensive team because...?

A quick question, did you fall on your head as a child? Just askin'

So you felt the need to point out Denver's better record because...? To highlight Denver's better record? Good to know. I certainly couldn't tell that checking the standings.

Or perhaps the real reason is that you actually tried to imply Camby was the irreplaceable cog to that record, the same way you tried to attribute the Knicks playoff success to him, got caught on a bullsh1t and had to back up?

Simple. So idiots with losing arguments like you couldn't backpeddle.

That's a good one. How about this, the next time a team is up two-zip, let's just call it a series. The whole seven game series thing is getting old.

"Should have won in 2004. Shoulda coulda woulda. Bottom line is, we lost to a better team. Jason Terry tore us a new one. Nothing would have pleased more if the results were different. Guess what, it ain't. We lost to a better team."

Let me highlight something for your thick skull:

http://www.82games.com/0607/0607HOU3.HTM
    http://www.82games.com/0607/0607DEN3.HTM

Houston:
    Defensive Possessions: 91
    Points Allowed: 92.2
    Points Allowed per 100 Possessions: 101
    Effective FG% Allowed: 46.6%

Denver:
    Defensive Possessions: 97
    Points Allowed: 103.8
    Points Allowed per 100 Possessions: 106
    Effective FG% Allowed: 49.9%

Yup, looks like we give up fewer points not just because of the slow pace. Could the reason that you don't know we are a good defensive team due to, gasp, that you don't watch games?

I'm also very interested to see how you cherry pick the points that you want to "argue," such as the FG% allowed argument. Let me guess, we also give up a lower FG% because of our slower pace, that opposing players' shoot at a slower pace which throws off their rhythm?

I'm missing the part in which somehow proves that we should have won the Lakers series, or how they are worse than our players.

Oh yeah, how could I? Deke was having a great year for us in New York that year. Oh wait...

3. MFW

MFW Member

Just thought I'd mention that those points allowed and FG% allowed stats were from last year, where we played the slow pace under JVG.

Actually now that I think of it, this year under "offensive minded" Rick Adelman, at a faster pace, we ain't doin' too shabby either.

4. Icehouse

Icehouse Contributing Member

There isn’t one team in the league that would take Camby over Yao. It makes zero sense any way you look at it. Just because a team is fast paced doesn’t mean they won’t be happy to take a 7’6 dude who will score if he’s not doubled and can create shots for others. All these running teams that you speak of…which ones don’t have players that can hit all the wide-open jumpers that our role players miss? Additionally, no running team has won a title this decade, and the only team to win a championship in the past 3 decades without a scoring pivot was the one with a guard who scored efficiently like a pivot (Jordan). So yes, a team like Phoenix would gladly take Yao over Camby. They just wouldn’t run as much and would probably switch to a style that has been proven to win championships.

From a marketing perspective, no owner would pass on Yao. And lastly, Yao has more trade value than Camby in case things don’t work out. So it looks like you lose on all counts buddy….

Edit: I forgot Detroit won two in the 80’s with no scoring pivot. But they had two HOF’ers in their backcourt and a bunch of other stuff….

5. wekko368

wekko368 Member

One great defensive player doesnt equate to having great team defense. He needs to have teammates who are also willing to play defense.

Van Gundy forced his team to play defense. Either that or sit on the bench. If George Karl took that same approach, denver's team defensive stats would be higher.

Unfortunately, no....so I have no idea what you've gone and are currently going through.

B/C you brought up records earlier and didnt mention that denver had a better record. If you use stats to prove a point, arent I entitled to use the same stats to prove my own point?

Man, that bump you got on the head as a kid sure has had long lasting influences.

I never said he was the irreplacable cog. I never attributed the Knicks playoff success solely to him. If you feel that way, quote me verbatim.

In fact, quote me where I talk about camby's contribution to their record. You should refresh your memory anyway.

I havent been caught in anything except a battle of wits with someone who has come unarmed.

After a team is up 2-0, its expected to win. Doesnt always happen, but its expected. Why do you think we were called clutch city? Because we were down 0-2 and EXPECTED to lose the series. But then we came back and won.

Honestly, I'm only using the stats you use in your arguments. I'm sorry if you feel like thats cherry picking.

If you dont like it, heres an idea: stop using stats that can be used to help my arguments.

Please quote me where I say this.

Please quote me anywhere where I say we should've beaten the lakers.

Please quote me anywhere where I say we had a better team than they did.

Seriously man...you misquote me so much that its almost to the point where you're talking to yourself.

6. Kindger

Kindger Contributing Member

What did he say? I can't see it ;)

And to MFW, if you feel that you have too much time to waste and want to keep replying to this person, I'll put you on my ignore list too so you 2 can keep fighting there :D

7. wekko368

wekko368 Member

The original argument refers to a team's current style. Between yao and camby, who would be a better fit for the up-tempo running game?

Of course once you have yao, you'd alter your game plan to make him the focal point. But that was never the issue at hand. As such, switching styles is not an option. Neither is getting yao and trading for camby + something else. And thats why salary was never discussed.

8. TheBornLoser

TheBornLoser Contributing Member

Dude, any team, whether up-tempo or not, would take Yao above Camby.

And your talk on up-tempo is flawed. The greatest up-tempo team of all time, the Showtime Lakers, had one of the slowest centres of all time, Kareem Abdul Jabbar. I don't think Kareem held them back.

And frankly, if the Nuggets had AI, Melo AND Yao... gosh.... imagine the possibilities, imagine the possibilities!!!

9. ACL1

ACL1 Member

Earlier I said it was because of Racism.
    I read the posts again and i still stand by my first post. Now it may sound obnoxious, knowing that his wife is white.
    to me it is a different type of racism. someone mentioned something about "being out of the circle" . I agree.
    it is the same reaon that for years Hakeem id not get respect. I remember for years everyone said Patrick was better, including Barkley. the refs treated Hakeem the same way, he would get mugged nite in and nite out and no calls.
    it is the fact that when a player comes from outside the country and dominates, other US players ( and i beleive the refs) tend to not give them their deserved respect.

i call it racism because i do not have any other single word to describe it. it is prejudice based on their nationality or place of birth not the color of the skin.

10. SuperStar

SuperStar Member

Yes it is racism, just like the people that voted for Yi Jiangliang. RACIST BASTARDS.

11. Tuan

Tuan Member

Well, Charles just gave Yao huge props on TNT, and he called the Rockets Yao's team.

12. Sofine81

Sofine81 Member

I think that may be the best way to dexibe the injustice served on Yao actually.

And as to Yi geting accolades? Could it be that Yao kind of warmed up the crowd?

13. wekko368

wekko368 Member

So you think that yao is a better fit for the warrior's up-tempo game than camby is?

14. Sofine81

Sofine81 Member

I cant speak for the original poster, but...YES, everyone thinks that!!!!! DUH!

15. MFW

MFW Member

Please, go ahead and tell me the great D played by Steve, Moochie, Cat, Rice, EG and the likes in Yao's rookie year. No seriously, go ahead. Does it bother you that a team with as inept, if not much worse defensive players than the Nuggets somehow was a much better than Camby's team EVER was? Oh the ironies.

How do you know when an idiot is losing an argument? When the said idiot start dodge points like a moronic little twerp. Once again, Houston was a sh1tty defensive team, and the year they drafted Yao, they didn't have JVG. Instant top 3 defensive team though. Hmmmm

Of course, the problem is, there isn't actually an argument to begin with. You, the idiot, tried to make there one, so you lost before you even began.

OK, so we ruled out brain injury. OK, then my diagnosis of your condition is mental disorder.

You know, I truly am a sage and prophet. Let me quote a part of my previous post on why we have quote functions:

The first time records was brought up by me in this thread is, um... NEVER. You were the idiot that brought record, specifically, playoff record into this thread, in post #348:

Which actually is pretty funny, since the first time I addressed the issue of our record was in post #370. What I have done though, is provide stats on how we are a superior defensive team because of Yao.

So, what's the matter, your bullsh1t is getting so deep you have problems keeping track?

I just did. Right above. So let me ask again, you felt the need to point out Denver's record or the Knicks' success because...?

That was good, I mean, you just mentioned the Knicks' playoff success out of the blue, and yet somehow you "didn't" imply Camby's contribution. That's funny. Clap clap.

Definitely. There can't possibly be a battle of wits between us. That would actually have to involve you having some.

Well then here's an explanation. Dallas, the better team, performed in the clutch. Jason Terry tore us a new one. JVG got fine pointing out Yao is getting screwed by the refs. Tell me when you have a point.

Just because some idiot have unrealistic expectations doesn't mean it's gonna happen that way.

That's funny, not only are you a moron, you can't possess no reading comprehension abilities either. You asked what proves we are a better defensive team, I told you, points allowed and FG% allowed. You said we allow fewer points because play at a slower pace, but somehow, gasp, DROPPED THE LOWER FG% ALLOWED ARGUMENT ALTOGETHER. Man, if that's not cherry picking, I don't know what is.

Of course, then this reply of yours, the fewer points allowed argument fell of the face of the earth as well, conveniently after I proved that we allow fewer points not because we play at a slower pace.

So let me ask you, is the reason you are cherry picking, or as I call it, "dodging the question like a moronic little twerp" be because you are getting your ass owned?

Of course you didn't. You only said Camby had playoff success and a better record, implying he is a key cog to both. When you got caught, you backpeddled.

Nahhh, not too much time to waste. I spend about 5 minutes replying to the idiot when I read other posts here. You see, this wekko amuses me. Think of it as reading the daily comic stripe. A small laugh. I'm sure you understand.

16. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

17. MFW

MFW Member

tinman, did you have to post one with Pippen in it?

18. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

sorry, i thought that was just humorous.
    that explosion below is what pippen did to this organization.

19. wekko368

wekko368 Member

I said:

"Please quote me where I say this.

Please quote me anywhere where I say we should've beaten the lakers.

Please quote me anywhere where I say we had a better team than they did.

Seriously man...you misquote me so much that its almost to the point where you're talking to yourself. "

Heres your response:

This is what it all comes down to. You making incorrect assumptions based on my statements.

Its not cherry picking when i use stats you provide. All the stats that you provide should benefit your argument. When one actually benefits mine and I point this out, you accuse me of cherry picking.

Remember, the stats you used were intended to support your contention, not mine. Its not like i went through 100 different stats and selected the ones that benefitted me.

20. RocketsDream

RocketsDream Rookie

Wow the debate in this thread has evolved from whether Yao or Camby deserves more to start in the all-star game, to whether every team would want Yao more than Camby, to which poster is the better dabater now. Amazing. Wekko368, you are really something.