1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Barkley actually gives props to Yao!?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Jaingfang, Apr 20, 2009.

1. BucMan55

BucMan55 Contributing Member

Uh no. Yao now is almost nothing like he was back then. Bout the only similarity is his shooting ability. And his height. He is twice the rebounder, defender, shot blocker, post player, and passer he was back then. He has added a few pounds, is bigger and stronger too.

And he is about 10x as smart a player. Aside from the reach-in on Chauncey Billups, you ever see Yao make stupid fouls anymore???(didnt say get called for bogus fouls, just commit stupid fouls)

Yao has earned his praises over the last few years. When he was getting them back in it was all hype that he hadn't lived up to yet.

Just like LBJ, he earned all his pub the last few years. He was overhyped coming out of HS his first couple of years in the league.

2. TMac4Life#1

TMac4Life#1 Member

And your trying to say...........????? nothing. Yao and Yi are two different guys. 2 different styles of play 2 different position. How is it luck that Yao is a good player and Yi isn't.

3. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

whatever rookie,
    you should read this board when Yao was a rookie. Go try it out, the "SEARCH" function.

see how many "TRADE YAO FOR" threads.

No, not really about the getting better past your rookie season or even staying in the league.

Look up Joe Smith, #1 pick.

Yao got all the attention because he was from China, it wasn't his game. His game is now why he's getting the attention.

Yao wasn't even the #1 option for our team.

Hey rookie, if Yao was so awesome his rookie year, then why did he not win rookie of the year?

4. bloop

bloop Member

there's no such thing as "unanimous #1" pick. this isn't MVP voting. one team picks the picks has nothing to do with unanimous.

if you're talking about people agreeing or disagreeing with who's picked that's meaningless as well. more "experts" agreeing or disagreeing really doesn't mean crap either #1 isn't predictive of anything lest we forget Michael Olowokandi and Elton Brand.

Yao being dissed and booed had much to do with Yao being Chinese (or non-black) as did his criticism from Barkley (who went out of his way to mispronounce Yao's name and compare him to Chinese food).

You recall incorrectly. Amare's team was in the playoffs. Yao's was not. How did Amare match up with Shaq that year? Different skillsets different players it's impossible to compare. Amare's stock has diminished with injury and his team's decline but again that's about the team and external circumstances not a basal comparison of "better" in skillset and talent

5. TMac4Life#1

TMac4Life#1 Member

Because awards like that or any type of awards goes to the guy who is most popular or gets his name talked about the most. Amare name was mentioned and due to Steve Nash he easily won the award.

6. tinman

Supporting Member

Look, its not that complex.

You know what I'm trying to say. We could have a bust in the draft, but we didn't.

Yao was an unknown with very little scouting reports, Rudy made his judgment on his workout. Yao didn't play in college and he didn't play in the US. It was a risk to take him at #1 cause you know that Jay Williams was a solid PG from Duke, a proven school that produces NBA Talent.

Yi, so far is a bust. He was over hyped and has not improved at all.

7. bloop

bloop Member

Did he get all the attention because he was from China or on TNT? If you meant it's because it was because he was from China write that. We aren't mind readers into your pea power brain. Take an extra 2 minutes and write what you actually mean.

I dont need lessons on "search" simply learn to type what you mean.

If you could actually read I was mocking you for TYPING IN CAPS THAT HE GOT BETTER FROM HIS ROOKIE YEAR yet you tell me he wasn't the number one option with Francis and Cat as if that's support for the crap you typed or laughed at you about? And you're talking about rookie of the year.

Here's a clue. If you're the MAN with the contributing member tag. Type what you actually mean and take a minute to form cogent arguments. Then you wont be forced to type "rookie" out a million times simply from being frustrated. Because that's really convincing... no one can see I'm a rookie from actually simply looking at my status

8. TMac4Life#1

TMac4Life#1 Member

Yao was an unknown??? What are you talking about? Yao was the most talked about person even before the lottery selection. He was hyped alot by the media because of being a great international player at 7'6.

And who cares about Yi. Yi is not on this team. Yao and Yi are two different guys who do not play or even have the same game. Please do not compare them.

9. dachuda86

dachuda86 Member

Barkley's job is to disagree with the others... he doesn't care about his opinion, he makes them for TV argument sake. He's an entertainer. He and the others often BS to argue for the sake of arguing... there would be no show if not.

10. stipendlax

stipendlax Member

Bloop, you're a rookie.

You obviously don't know what you're talking about.

/end sarcasm.

11. Im Just Sayin

Im Just Sayin Member

Steve Nash wasn't with Phoenix when Stoudemire won the ROY in 2003. He was better than Yao, period

12. tinman

Supporting Member

Rookie.

unanimous #1 means whomever has the #1 pick will no doubt pick

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

13. tinman

Supporting Member

I can't believe that when I said we are LUCKY to have Yao instead of Yi, this came out of it.

All of you suckers need to apply to Kaplan.

I know Yi is not on this team and its LUCKY that we DON'T HAVE HIM.

ALL OF YOU who "KNEW" that Yao would turn out as good as he did today are FULL of it...Especially if you live in Houston.

14. TMac4Life#1

TMac4Life#1 Member

Oh yeah your right. Sorry about that. It was Marbury. I remember now because that was the year Amare DOMINATED Tim Duncan but they still loss the series.

15. fmullegun

fmullegun Contributing Member

the first game when I saw how tall and skilled he was I was pretty freaked out. Then he started doing some crazy passes that were amazing. That lasted until they just started surrounding him all the time.

No fans really saw him play till he suited up here though.

The only thing I have a problem with what you said is it is luck that Yao turned out to be a good player. Although there is chance in everyones career, saying it like that is just wrong.

16. fmullegun

[​IMG]

#96 fmullegun, Apr 21, 2009
    Last edited: Apr 21, 2009
  17. TMac4Life#1

TMac4Life#1 Member

ummm Reggie Bush wasn't the number 1 pick lol. IDK if that's what you were trying to say lol

18. bloop

bloop Member

are you dense. stop now while you're moderately behind. you're getting unanimous #1 confused with consensus MVP. there's simply no such thing. you can make up your own definitions but unanimous #1 simply does not exist no matter how much you sitting on your coach old curmudgeonly want it so.

everyone one in the world can WANT you to pick someone or have "no doubts" it doesn't mean anything because it doesn't actually affect whom a club picks

you realize you put hakeem in your pictures of "unanimous #1s" right? he's the poster child of there NOT being such a thing as consensus #1. going back the vast majority of all "choosers" (whoever it is that in your mind picks #1s) would pick Jordan but at the same time you cant go wrong with Hakeem... ergo even if there was some sort of voting measure for #1 it wouldn't be definitive. just stop posting on this thread. go post and cry about something else. start a thread about "BREAKING NEWS BLOOP IS A ROOKIE" anything else you're done here

19. fmullegun

I was pointing out the flaw in TInmans logic.

The Bush Bowl

20. bloop

bloop Member

he's mocking Tinman saying if there were such a thing as voting Reggie Bush would have been number one.

obviously there's no such thing and the Texans management made the right choice