1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Barkley actually gives props to Yao!?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Jaingfang, Apr 20, 2009.

1. RockieGuy09

RockieGuy09 Rookie

If you know and can read English language then you should have the ability to understand that the OP was shocked not because of what you said.

2. LabMouse

LabMouse Member

I do not care if Barkley like or dislike Yao, the problem is that he is wrong at the most time when it comes to the analysis of some meaningful things. If I am not mistaken, Barkley is one of the guys who was strongly against selecting Yao in 2002, then he wants to prove he is right since then, and ends in kiss "...." My point is that the rockets would select JW if Les would listen to him because you know he is a former rockets player, love the team, he is so great, and is right at 90% according to tinman. :)

3. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

It was luck that Yao turned out to be a good player. Look at Yi.

4. LabMouse

LabMouse Member

Wrong, it is not due to luck. Yi has never be considered to good as Yao. Yao was considered to be good, but Barkley never follow him closely, then open his mouth to say that he will never be able to score 19 points.

5. tinman

Supporting Member

You guys act like Yao Ming was Wilt Chamberlain when he was a rookie.

No he wasn't. He wasn't that good, he was still too skinny, he wasn't aggressive on the offense and defensive end of the floor.

Barkley did follow him, because the Rockets are always on TNT. It's been 7 years bro.

Yao's rookie year was 2002, he is SIGNIFICANTLY BETTER NOW.

We got "LUCKY" because he turned out to a hard worker and developed into the player that he is.

YI sucks. he sucks as a rookie and he sucks now.

6. ibm

ibm Member

yi should've been drafted in the 2nd round. but instead he's drafted @ #6. i wonder how much of a yao-effect that was.

2 years in, this kid is nothing special; based on my limited watching of him.

7. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

Drafts are crap shoots, you never know what you're getting until you get it.

Yi has all the skills to be a good player in this league and maybe go to a all-star game or two. Problem with Yi is he has shaky confidence and confidence is a HUGE part of ball.

Yi can dribble for a guy that is what...6'7". Yi has a shot, and Yi is incredibly athlethic. Just like some guys though who has all the skills in the world they either are shaken by confidence or they just don't work hard enough.

Just like how Reggie Bush was the OBVIOUS choice then, the Texans got lucky that they picked the guy who wanted to be the best at what he does.

Was it Luck...I guess so, but so is every draft in every sport.

Yi doesn't suck at all, he has a lot of skills and he just needs a boost in confidence. People need to understand not everyone comes in the NBA and tears it apart their first few years. Some guys start to bloom 4th or 5th year in the NBA.

8. LabMouse

LabMouse Member

No, this is not a point. Smart people know there is a risk or reward factor in selecting Yao. I was listening to Bill Waston's talks in ESPN, I believed Yao would be good, so did CD and Les. That is the life time decision for the team, if you are wrong, you are going to pay the price, plus that Yao was just fine in his rookie year, that is why people like Morey, he is just smart. Again, I do not hate Barkley, I just do not think he is smart person to talk something useful, he was a great NBA player, everyone knows. End in discussion.

9. j3188

j3188 Member

guys.. he's trying to jinx us

10. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

Also he's been playing two years in the NBA.

Transitioning from another country IS a factor for some guys. It's a factor in international Soccer/Football and it's a factor in the NBA.

I think he has the skills to be a good player. Perrenial All-star, no I don't think so.

But a guy who can start and average 15ppg over his career. I see that from him and averaging 7rpg. Also he'd really fit in with a team that is more transition oriented than halfcourt based like the Knicks. He's not really a physical player for the halfcourt game and he's not the best off ball player as I mean working off the ball to get his shot like Hamilton or Allen.

But I just think he needs the confidence that he can play in the NBA, sometimes that's the hardest thing. That's why when guys go off in the playoffs, they usually come back and have a good year. Because it confirms to themselves that they can hang and can play against the very best. Some guys don't need that confidence but some guys do. I honestly think if he were playing with us he'd be a good player because Yao could help him through his shaky confidence...since well Yao was embarrassed his rookie season and we were lucky to get a guy who didn't want to embarrass his country...I think that really drives Yao.

11. tinman

Supporting Member

If I remember correctly, his 'shaky' confidence told him that he didn't want to play for the Bucks cause he was too good for that, he need a bigger city with more chinese people.

I wonder what chinese Nets fans think when they got Yi and Richard Jefferson left.

12. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

Shaky confidence by being overconfident or not confident and it going up and down. This is Yi. He has great games from time to time then has a stretch of bad games...this is your average NBA newbie, inconsistent.

Yeah and nothing is worse for a player coming into the NBA then realizing that this is a different level of ball. Look at guys like Miles and Brown. They thought they were the ish when they came into the league also. Confidence is everything and some guys are less talented but they are more confident. He's not the only player that has avoided the Bucks and Milwaukee btw.

We're talking about a guy who has played two seasons now in the NBA and now we're already saying he sucks and has no hope? Give him time. Especially being a international player, it's not easy for some guys to adapt to a whole entire culture and IT DOES affect some players in Soccer and now Basketball since it has grown. Dirk even said it himself and his stats show that.

I really feel if Yi went to a team like the Knicks he'd do really well. He has a skillset and I just checked...He's 7'0" yet he's a SF...that says A LOT about his skillset.

13. SuperStar

SuperStar Member

Well if he continues to keep shooting outside and playing soft, he will become the next Wang Zhizhi. Everyone in the NBA has skills to be a good player.

14. tinman

Supporting Member

You mean the 'no defense' and chuck the ball skill set.
    At best, this guy will turn into Tim Thomas.

15. rage

rage Member

You are as bad as Barkley as bb analist :) if you think the Rockets (and all other teams, if they could) picked Yao with the 1st pick based on luck.

16. IamKhan

IamKhan Rookie

Is this thread about Barkley and Yao?

17. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

Not really. Chuck Hayes, Brian Cook ?

Everyone in the NBA is good at something, that's about it. Yi wouldn't have been drafted so high if he had no skills.

It's not everyday you find a guy 7'0 shooting out there and basically playing the 3.

As I said, give him time not everyone busts into the league and averages 20ppg. I don't like when people are so quick to judge guys. It's a entire different level than what he's played on. ENTIERLY DIFFERENT.

I guess you think the same way of Micahel Beasley then? He basically plays worse defense than Yi and jacks up the ball at every oppurtunity. The main difference is which guy will learn and get better, NO ONE can predict that. That is why the draft is luck and is considered a crapshoot for every sport.

I'm going to laugh at the poor fans who draft Rubio. If the guy doesn't average 20ppg and 10apg his first season he'll be a massive bust it's silly how little time guys are given to develop among fans.

18. tinman

Supporting Member

you get my definition of luck wrong.
    luck also means being fortunate.

Yao was not the unanimous #1 pick. I do remember people wanting Jay Williams.

'luck' that Yao doesn't ride motorcycles.

luck that we got the #1 pick, luck that we didn't screw up the #1 pick.

As I recall, Amare was a better player after year 1 than Yao.

19. BucMan55

BucMan55 Contributing Member

Some other takes on "luck."

Picking Jay Williams would have been bad luck.

Breaking your foot is bad luck.

Having bad players is bad luck.

20. bloop

bloop Member

Yeah the reason why Barkley "followed" Yao because the Rockets are "always on TNT." Has nothing to do with the fact that Yao was on the cover of ESPN Magazine, Time, etc was the number one draft pick and was all over the media.

It's a news flash that players get better from their time as a rookie BETTER CAPITALIZE THAT PRIME INSIGHT.

Yao is good now for exactly the same reason he was good then and why the Rockets drafted him: shooting touch, competitive nature, big base in ass and legs, willingness to pass and get his teammates involved. Trrrrrrrrble post everything you wrote is trash