1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Barack Hussein Obama is making Jimmy Carter look good...

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by OddsOn, Jun 16, 2010.

1. rhadamanthus

rhadamanthus Member

I think it's rather fair to state that this was an isolated incident. Despite BP's egregious lack of discipline, most wells do maintain safety because the risk of massive failure is imminent and, accordingly, the design and operation incorporates safety into every phase of the operation.

BP cut corners. I have seen no indication of technical errors, but rather management failure.

Certainly, I think that relief wells would be a good idea, but there is no reason to shut down in the interim as the problem experienced on the Deepwater Horizon is not an issue with lack of regulation or methods, but rather a failure to follow them.

We don't ground all airplanes when a pilot breaks the rules and crashes...

2. vlaurelio

vlaurelio Member

resorting to name calling again as usual

read otto's post multiple times again and tell us if he said that

"its okay for someone to call Bush was a stupid redneck cowboy wanna be but its wrong for someone to call Obama a commie muslim facist"

3. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Member
    Supporting Member

We don't know that for sure.

Yes the evidence is piling up that BP cut corners but at the sametime it is not certain that is what led to the explosion. Its still possible that there is some other tecnical reason why this happened. Further this stoppage isn't just to asses engineering problems but also to address regulatory and practice problems. As we've seen so far the procedures and plans to deal with such a disaster are woefully inadequate .

Not all but when there is a problem that seems particular to a class of airplanes we do. For instance about 10 years ago there was a crash of an Air Alaska flight and that class of airplane was grounded for awhile until the cause of crash was determined and the problems fixed. In this case the moratorium isn't on all drilling or even all off shore drilling just deepwater drilling.

4. rhadamanthus

rhadamanthus Member

No issues Judoka, I understand your point and think it reasonable. I still am not sure that the moratorium was truly necessary, but I certainly cannot (at the moment without more information) argue effectively against your POV - we don't have a final report about the accident to understand the cause.

I would however posit that the motivation for the ban was more political grandstanding than actual concern about the response effectivity. My rationale is that I think the government has responded about as well as plausible, even had a "plan" been in place. Accordingly, the only other "real" concern with current operations would be technical - and years of operation sans incident (and my involvement in oil facility design) lead me to think this unlikely. Consequently, you are placing a great deal of strain on a lot of businesses (and I mean the associated smaller-scale operations, not the oil conglomerates with more money than all Africa combined) for a rather small probability of massive and fundamental technical negligence.

5. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Member
    Supporting Member

I completely agree that there is a political dimension to the moratorium but to me that doesn't mean there is a reason to not do it. While over the history we have had very few serious accidents with deep water drilling given the magnitude of damage of what even one accident can lead to I think it is prudent we have a moratorium until this is sorted out. Further from what we found out about how laughably innadequate / inept, the guidelines and procedures that oil companies have in place to deal with a spill (or in the case of Exxon admitting that they can't really deal with a major spill of this type) it makes sense to me to take the time to addresse those.

6. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

Good analogy. Except that your example has an actual reply! To make a perfect analogy to Odds On.

"Dude, what's with the confederate flag?"

"Why do you ask that? What's the big deal? Why is everyone always asking about the FLAG attached to my radio antenna instead of asking more relevant questions about my 1989 Ford Fiesta?"

"Well... most people generally avoid flying that flag. So, um..."

"See, you just can't come up with any real reply to the power, the sexuality really, of the Ford Fiesta. It's rusted blue exterior drives women, even female animals, absolutely crazy. You are left with nothing substantial to say, and when you recognize the inferiority of your car, you resort to talking about this little insignificant piece of cloth on the antenna."

"K. THX. BYE."

2 people like this.
  7. SunsRocketsfan

Wow that is the problem with America today. Everyone is so damn easily offended. While its your right and freedom but you are seriously offended by a name? I suggest everyone grow some balls and man up. It just seems like everyone wants to gain their spotlight and say I'm offended and make a big deal out of nothing. I see it all the time. OMG I"M SO OFFENDED.. blah blah blah.. Also for your information I am a minority.

But think about it what are you offended about? Does it hurt you or your family in any way that some random poster on a message board that you don't know called Obama by his middle name? You take offense to that? SERIOUSLY? If you do I think you just have too much time on your hands. I am not attacking you but curious as to why you feel so offended because someone you don't know and will never meet ever in your life called Obama his middle name.

Seems a bit ridiculous? no?

8. FranchiseBlade

Supporting Member

Again, the problem isn't that people are offended at incidents of racism even if it's incredibly minor. The problem is that people do minor acts of racism, as well as some people blaming those offended by the racism.

9. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

No one's offended. We're just asking dude why he thought the middle name was worth typing. No answer. See the analogies above. If there's any "offendedness" it's just at the stupidity of lowering a possibly decent dialogue with stupid cheap shots and not owning up to it.

10. rhadamanthus

rhadamanthus Member

The only thing offensive to me in this thread is the lazy cowardice of the OP. All he has to do is answer the question. The reason he won't is because we've already all guessed the answer and (like most bigots) he dislikes being publically called out.

Seriously dude, your posts would be a lot more effective if you would read the posts your replying to more carefully and limit the corresponding rhetoric.

1 person likes this.
  11. justtxyank

justtxyank Member

I wonder how much of it is bigotry with some who do it and how much is "lol it sounds Muslim at it pisses off the left."

I know one person who calls him that out of pure bigotry. He freely admits that he thinks Obama is a Muslim. but someone on another message board I frequent does it just because it pisses off the left wing posters on the board.

12. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

exactly, everyone knew what he was doing and he just won't man up and admit it.

If you're going to make a bigoted statement than at least have the balls to take responsibility for it.

13. vlaurelio

vlaurelio Member

baylorbear? :grin:

14. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Member
    Supporting Member

You aren't listening. Or reading what I wrote, but just inventing something that you can attack.

You want to know why I find it offensive? Then pay attention and LISTEN, ok?

I take offense because people are making a judgement about the guy based on something very superficial, in this case his name. It's not calling him by his middle name, it's the emphasizing and constant reminder.

To me that says these people don't trust those that are different. If you have something in common with terrorists such as religion, skin color, or a name - then that's a reason to diminish what you do or suggest you might be of less character.

That's is what is happening here, and as someone who has faced racism before, this racism in the worst way.

And if you think I am easily offended, just ask anyone here what my stance is on PC and when people say offensive things in the press. I usually roll my eyes at that stuff. But it's clear as day right now that people are not just calling him by his middle name, they are suggesting he is of less character because of his middle name.

That's really stinky.

1 person likes this.
  15. Rashmon

Rashmon Member

On behalf of Rep. Joe Barton and myself, I would just like to apologize to Odd Son for this leftist barrage of racist innuendo.

Rep. Barton and I do not necessarily believe that Odd Son's previous history of racially tinged postings infer any real validity to these current allegations of racism.

16. SunsRocketsfan

Hmm if you can ignore what is in the press why cant you ignore one poster on here who no ones knows, who you personally don't know or will ever meet, will get no coverage in the press and who's views and opinion wont harm you or your family in any way. Why take offense to that? I don't get it.

Also why keep playing the race card? You are just contributing the racial tension. People are simply attacking Obama or using his middle name simply because they don't like him or don't approve of his politics or simply just because he's a Democrat and they are a Republican. If Obama was white and still has Hussein as his middle name, no one would say the OP was being racist. So just because Obama is black (half black) anyone who disagrees with him or calls him a name is racist? Now if they were calling him the N word than yes I can see your point. But like I said earlier President's have been called much worse things but just because Obama happens to be black anyone who calls him anything bad is instantly a racist. You are going to get your partisan politics and partisan name calling. Thats it. No big deal.. move on.

17. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Could not agree more. Those who don't "get it" aren't "getting it" simply because they do not want to for reasons of their own.

18. Qball

Qball Member

I don't think it's that most of us are offended. The issue is that the OP is a bigot and we're calling him out. You are defending that he is not. The whole "why you offended" argument is dumb. I can easily counter with "why are you offended that I called the OP a bigot". Anyone who uses the "why you offended" card is one who has lost the argument.

I can personally guarantee that I would have the same reaction if Obama was white. The OP put the middle name in order to show "OMG look he has a Muslim middle name". You know it, I know it, and the OP knows it.

If anyone here wants to be a bigot, then man-up like Ronny and put it out there in the open and don't be afraid of criticism.

19. vlaurelio

vlaurelio Member

they probably closet bigots as well

20. uolj

uolj Member

I've said it before but I think it bears repeating. I really don't believe there is any real evidence that the type of behavior exemplified by the OP is rooted in racism, bigotry, xenophobia or anything similar. It's possible, and it is probably true for the occasional person with similar behavior, but I think it's much more likely that the root of the issue is ideology and partisanship rather than race, religion or differentness.

And going further than simply raising the possibility of racism diminishes the perfectly reasonable criticism and in effect does the same thing that so many are chastising the OP for.