1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Banned: sprinkler and hose watering

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Cohete Rojo, Jun 16, 2011.

Tags:
  1. Cohete Rojo

Cohete Rojo Contributing Member

Just got a recorded call from League City saying water with a (detachable?) sprinkler and hose is forbidden, and I do not know why they would do this while allowing people with hidden sprinklers and hoses to water. Come on man! Why is this?

2. KingStevo10

KingStevo10 Member

3. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

The "city" of Llano is about to hit Stage 4 water rationing. That means absolutely no watering of yards. As of now, they could run out of water in 2 months. The Llano river is at about 1' in some parts. We're going out there this weekend to stay at some cabins on the river. We were hoping there would be water to cool off in but there won't be much left.

4. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

It's summer lawns suppose to be dead.

1 person likes this.
  5. LonghornFan

LonghornFan Contributing Member

We're Ninja's. We set our sprinkler system to turn on at 4am.

BTW- They're doing this to help Galveston due to their recent breaks in the water system. They did the same for you guys a few months back.

6. JunkyardDwg

JunkyardDwg Contributing Member

I wonder if it applies to the city as well. Was jogging the other day through one of the parks in Missouri City/Sugar Land (not mandatory rationing yet) and for some reason they felt the need to install sprinklers and to use them...in a big ass park....in the middle of the day. C'mon man.

7. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

If you properly mow and fertilize your lawn, there is no need to water it. I have yet to water my lawn this year and it is thick greenn and healthy.

8. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

Sprinklers lose water to evaporation. Things like drip lines are more water-efficient (and harder to see).

9. Prince

Prince Member

wait until your HOA sues you for your dead lawn.

10. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

:confused:

SOMEONE ELSE has watered it, not you, right?

Is it ARTIFICIAL?

11. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

He's right. A good lawn needs little water once established (deep roots, good dirt/microbes/fertilizer)

12. Bandwagoner

Well God gave me about 7/10's last week.

Basically you guys that have St. Augustine lawns that mow them super short like a bermuda or cool climate grass (northern type) lawn are asking for brown lawns. The grass can never grow deep roots and is constantly getting over 50% of its leaf chopped off.

Plus you probably either never fertilized it, or gave it so much N (from TruGreen company or something) that stressed it out.

If you give it proper fertilization and cut it 3 inches high or higher once a week or so, you don't have to water it all the time.

13. updawg

updawg Member

that sucks for you - I read they predicted it would be dry by the end of the week. Crazy.

If we don't get rain this summer going to be scary in central texas

14. LonghornFan

I live in a new house with a newly sodded lawn, so I have to water it everyday to help it establish it's roots and not die out. I have it cut every two weeks, and this week it was about 6 inches high, all deep, dark green. 8 minutes for the front, 10 for the back. Seems to be working while my neighbors lawn looks like a bear rug.

15. Bandwagoner

How low did you cut it when it was 6 inches? Cutting off more than 30% of the leaf is pretty stressful, you should probably cut it once per week if you are watering it so much.

How new is it? It can establish roots in a few weeks. To encourage deep roots you should cut the water back to once a week and water more at a time. Otherwise the roots will remain shallow because that is where you are putting the water.

16. da_juice

da_juice Member

Our town does this every so often during a drought. It's NBD.

17. LonghornFan

They had to re-sod last week as our whole lawn was torn up/covered up to put in our new patio and Pergola. I can still put my hand under the grass and pull the squares up. The once a day thing will proceed for the next two weeks then we're cutting back, this was the advice the sprinkler service suggested.

Also, is it too late to fertilize now that it's so hot?

BTW- Our sprinkler system doesn't hose it down, just a nice, thick mist enough to moisten it.

Edit- The guy who cuts the lawn always cuts it high, he maybe cut 3 inches off if that. I was getting upset with this as it never looked completely groomed right, but I guess he knows what he's doing?

#17 LonghornFan, Jun 16, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 16, 2011
  18. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

My lawn seems to have yellow spots more than brown spots. The sod was only laid down a few months ago. I water about 2 or 3 times a week. Am I over-watering?

I cut it about every other week. Probably too short, it's like the 2nd shortest setting on my mower.

Also, I'm getting a lot of weeds growing up through the sod.

19. Bandwagoner

Yeah if the sod is a week old you need to go everyday for sure. Unless your soil is crap, it should at least have some small white roots venturing out at one week old.

You can put down some fert, but it will not help you out much. 1/2 pound of N per 1000 square feet would be the max I would do. And I would wait till you are watering once per week without it browning before you do it. You don't want to stress the grass too much. The most important application will be this fall, that is when you will ensure a good healthy lawn for next year.

I would be scared to let him mow the sod if you can still pull it up so easily. I am not sure by what you mean by groomed right but St. Aug needs to be cut high first because it spreads by above ground stolons and second because it is so dry and hot this year. The main point I was bringing up is if you get your yard high then chop it short, you remove a massive amount of it's moisture which is stored in the leaf. Makes a hard drought even harder, and hinders root growth.

20. Bandwagoner

Yeah typical case of stressed out lawn. If you mow it higher it will look much better and need less water.

Cut back to once a week and leave the irrigation system on longer. If you can slowly cut back on the watering the lawn will grow slower. Try to mow more often on the highest setting or as high as you can. the lawn will come roaring back and choke those weeds out in no time.