1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Bank Teller Screwed Up and 'Lost' my Driver's License - Anything I can do?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by dharocks, Feb 9, 2016.

1. dharocks

dharocks Contributing Member

Yesterday I visited my bank to get a replacement check card due to fraudulent activity on my current card, and the representative who printed my new card and disposed of the old accidentally put my driver's license in the 'shred box' along with my old card.

She apologized and leaves to call the records management company (Iron Mountain) that handles their shredding, assuring me that she would get the code to open the box. She returns to inform me that IM wouldn't share the code over the phone, but that someone would be there the next day (today) to open the box, and she'd call me with an update. I get that mistakes happen, and one day without my ID isn't something to get worked up over, so I don't make a big deal out of it.

Now today, no call from the bank. When I end up calling them, they tell me that Iron Mountain was apparently 'backed up', couldn't send a person out, but would have someone over 'at some point this week, hopefully.' Okay, now I'm pissed. Irritating me more is the fact that I'm talking to the very representative who lost my ID, and she keeps passing the buck, blaming Iron Mountain rather than taking any responsibility for her failure to fix a problem that she created. While I'm not going to hammer someone for making a mistake, I do expect them to be accountable and make correcting said mistake a top priority.

She tells me that they'll contact me as soon as the situation is resolved, but won't give a time frame for when that might be, other than 'hopefully by the end of the week.'

Given that my passport is expired, right now I have no valid government-issued ID, no idea when I'll get my license back, and unless I get my parents to mail me my birth certificate (I know, I know, I should have it anyway) or order a certified copy, no 4-point document to get a replacement at the MVC. I realize it's not a huge deal, but technically I have to break the law in order to drive my car. And on top of that, I can't buy booze.

Anything I can do, other than wait and stew? I'm assuming expecting any kind of compensation from the bank for my inconvenience is a pipe dream, but maybe there's some way to speed the process up? If not, I'll happily consider suggestions for petty and vindictive acts of retribution.

2 people like this.
  2. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

The only solution is to rob the bank and go surfing. Wear a mask.

NSFW

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/-F50QIqh8so" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

1 person likes this.
  3. dharocks

Need ID to board a flight anywhere with waves :(

4. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

Damn! Lol. Back to the drawing board.

5. PhiSlammaJamma

I'd hold a press conference, wear a hoodie, and then walk out. You are not in the zone right now. Get yourself a non driver ID as a backup for the next time.

6. Scionxa

Scionxa Contributing Member

Why'd you go to the bank for a replacement card? Can't you do that over the phone on a lunch break or via the interwebs ?

7. dharocks

Because it takes 7-10 days to get a new card mailed, as opposed to getting one the same day in person.

8. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

You are screwed. I know chemistry and will ship you peanut butter, ammo and a recipe for bathtub gin. Let me know ASAP and I will get it out before 7.

9. dharocks

dharocks
    c/o El Hitman
    7633 Dashwood Dr
    Houston TX 77063

(seriously though, what's he up to these days?)

10. Bandwagoner

Dude I was ready to get the supplies out to you. You have no hope now.

11. Junkyard_Dog

Junkyard_Dog Member

That sucks bro. At the financial institution I work at we have the key to our shred bin.

12. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

contact the bank's HQ and threaten to file a stolen DL report with the local sherriff's office. demand your ID back immediately along with compensation for lost time or you'll tack on an identity theft charge as well

1 person likes this.
  13. ClutchCity3

ClutchCity3 Member

This, OP shouldn't "pay" for the teller's incompetence.

14. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

Yeah, I don't see a reason to be nice about this. Go see the bank manager in person and let him know that if you don't get it back that day, you'll file a stolen report with the police. You have no actual idea that it got placed in that box and wasn't stolen.

1 person likes this.
  15. DudeWah

DudeWah Member

This and this.

You're being an overly nice p***y. No offense.

Go higher up the chain and get it resolved immediately.

16. Bandwagoner

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  17. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

When I first read the OP, I was going to joke that it sounds like the teller stole your ID. But the OPs second post now has me questioning her story.

I seriously doubt a bank doesn't have that key on premise. And the excuse the vendor can't come is ludicrous for a bank client. You have to operate like it is stolen at this point.

18. Bandwagoner

Then just go to the police. Don't make threats, just report stolen to CYA and deal with the bank after.

19. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Yeah you should have escalated this immediately. Whether it was a teller or a customer service rep, they are low level and can't get s*** done. Escalate it to the person who can get s*** done immediately.

1 person likes this.
  20. The Boz

The Boz Member

dharocks, please give the name of the bank. I wonder if I am banking with them?