1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Bank of America - Keep the Change

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Sonny, Oct 12, 2005.

Tags:
  1. Major

Major Member

Wait a minute - so if I go buy something that costs $0.01, they are going to give me $0.99 (matching) in the first 3 months? What's to stop someone from sitting there and just buying a bunch of 1 penny items (from themselves, if they have a store) and making money? You could pay a kid $5/hr to do this for you, and if they buy 50 items an hour, you're making $45/hr (or $44.50 if you don't want the 1 penny items).

Granted, you need to find a 1 penny item first. But you could also do it with a $1.01 item, as long as you would need the item eventually anyway.

2. texasflip34

texasflip34 Contributing Member

Guys, I have both ING and Emigrant Direct savings accounts. Both are very similar in that they're purely online and link to your checking accounts. The key difference is in Emigrant Direct's interest rate, 4%.

Check it out at www.emigrantdirect.com

I've since shifted all my savings on over to emigrantdirect.

3. pirc1

pirc1 Contributing Member

Hmm that rate matched my money market account!

4. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

I had seen Emigrant Direct's rates on bankrate.com, but didn't know you could do the linking. Good information - thanks!

5. texasflip34

texasflip34 Contributing Member

Yeah, feature-wise, both ING and EmigrantDirect are similar, other than the interest rate. I stumbled onto EmigrantDirect's website through bankrate.com.

The difference between their interest rates has been consistent for the past several months since signing up with EmigrantDirect. In fact, the current difference in interest rates, 3.4 versus 4.0, is the largest so far. Usually it had been a few tenths of a difference.

6. hz10

hz10 Contributing Member

Well, if you have repeating big spending such as kids in day care, try citibank dividend card. It is a credit card and you get 1% cash back (5% on your spending in supermarkets). Just remember to pay your bill every month. I set it up so that they draft the payment automatically from my bank account. If you don't mind calling them, just tell them that you want to cancel the card because you do not need it anymore, they will increase the rebate to 5% on everything for 6 months. It works every time. There is a $300 limit per year and you hit that limit pretty quickly.

7. vwiggin

vwiggin Contributing Member

This sounds like that scheme from Office Space.

8. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

Sacrafice...and unfortunately, this decision needs to be made in the late teens very early twenties, not when your 30, single and with four kids; this is with the assumption the person is working two jobs and has absolutely ZERO free time.

9. PhiSlammaJamma

Better yet, why don't you buy money/aka coins. then you get the lose change and technically don't lose any money. I think we have some kinda pyramid scheme.

10. Faos

Faos Contributing Member

That's just crazy talk.