1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Bands You Just Don't Get

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by MystikArkitect, Aug 10, 2013.

1. MystikArkitect

There are those bands, other people love them, and as much as you listen to it you just can't seem to understand what other people see in them. Here's a few of mine:

1) Beatles - I get their place, I understand their importance, I just don't like the music. It's short, poppy and fizzy. Outside of "While My Guitar Gently Weeps", the entire collection is meh.

2) Radiohead - I've tried to get into this band, I just can't. Maybe I'm listening to it wrong. They bum me out.

3) Queen - Maybe I can blame karaoke for this, maybe not. Odd music to me.

1 person likes this.
  2. jev5555

jev5555 ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I take it you don't like Journey either?

3. VanityHalfBlack

Are you still in High School or early 20's??

4. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

Forget bands... There are entire genres that seem to be intrinsically worthless to me, but seem to appeal to the masses.

We're all wired differently.

5. plcmts17

plcmts17 Member

Pink Floyd - some parts of Dark Side are good and a few songs of the Wall, but for the most part they are way too depressing and too cynical.

1 person likes this.
  6. supdudes

supdudes Member

I stay away from radiohead, smashing pumpkins all together.

Don't need that depressing shyte in my life.

7. RedDynasty

RedDynasty Member

I never will get Mumford & Sons, or most of the indie scene.

The only "Indie" band I like is Grizzly Bear. I also like Phoenix, Capital Cities, and Temples, but I don't consider those indie.

8. MystikArkitect

Late 20's. Journey is cool, don't mind them but don't go out of my way to listen to them either.

9. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

10. Jontro

Jontro Member

I don't get the whole house/techno (and all its parallels) scene.

11. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

You don't "get" the Beatles and Queen? Really? (I don't wear a radio on my head) I guess I won't respond to that, being perplexed (my "Word of the Weekend").

A group I guess I never "got?" Heart. Could never get into them. Yes, they had a couple of hit singles that were all right, but I never bought one of their LP's. A good friend of mine, after seeing them in concert, carried on about how good they were and then made a comment that made my jaw drop in disbelief. He compared them to the Stones. Heart on their best gig couldn't touch the Stones at their worst, in my humble opinion. Needless to say, I told him exactly that at the time. That I knew he enjoyed the concert, but that he really should either stay grounded in reality, or light one up and forget about comparison. We settled on the latter, and everything was cool.

12. supdudes

supdudes Member

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/VcjzHMhBtf0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

How can you not like this??

With that said, just because we're in our twenties doesn't mean we can't appreciate good music.

And ****, music is music, it all depends on the mood. When I relax I want some Horner and Zimmer. When I'm feeling good I want some Journey, Metallica. When I workout I crank that Pitbull/ Lady Gaga up, and you know what? It's perfect.

Quit acting like one type of music is better than the other.

1 person likes this.
  13. VooDooPope

VooDooPope Love > Hate
    Supporting Member

Bruce Springsteen... And I've tried

14. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

The entire genre of screamo.

15. 111chase111

111chase111 Contributing Member

I don't get Modest Mouse. Float On and The World at Large are really good tunes but I just can NOT get into the rest.

For the guy who said he couldn't get into the Beatles or Queen.... I can see how you might not like their entire catalog but they both had some great tunes that were NOT very pop at all. I love the Beatles but never listen to their early stuff (Please, Please Me, I Want to Hold Your Hand, etc...) because, as you said, it's bubble gum (really well written bubble gum but still....). But Here Comes The Sun, Come Together, Something, Across the Universe, Penny Lane, A Day in the LIfe, In My Life.... man those are all great songs....

1 person likes this.
  16. CCorn

CCorn Member

So I take it you've never listened to either band if you find them depressing ;).

Grow my hair I wanna be wanna be wanna wanna be Jim Morrison.

I don't get how people think the smiths are so great. They ight, but some people act like they're the greatest thing ever. Them and depeche.

17. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

I was lucky, and saw them at Liberty Hall in Houston in March of 1974, before they hit the big time. Tickets were $5 bucks, I think. They did a concert over 3 hours long, in front of 300 people, or less. Bruce and the band were tremendous. They did 4 shows in 4 nights there, and I saw 2 of them. So yeah, I was a fan after that. Blinded by the Light and Rosalita were ridiculously good, as were all the songs, really. This was before Steve Van Zandt joined the group, but Clarence Clemons was there and fantastic, as was David Sancious on piano. Damn, he was good on the ivories! I thought his first 3 LP's were outstanding, and began to lose a bit of interest after that, although I went to every concert I could of his, because they were always a gas. Haven't seen him in a while, except on TV or cable. Can still bring it.

Anyway, maybe you didn't see Bruce and his band in the early days, which could explain a lot. :)-

Also, something I just remembered. My significant other was at the same concert, which we put together much later. Heck, she was at several of the same concerts I went to back then, as going to concerts and stuff like that was largely what I did. That, and chase girls, as I've said before. :-D-

#17 Deckard, Aug 10, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 10, 2013
    1 person likes this.
  18. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

"While my guitar gently weeps" might be their most poppy, fizzy track, hahaha...

(Someone clearly hasn't listened to their whole "collection")

19. Jontro

Jontro Member

I don't get the fascination with Zyzz.

1 person likes this.
  20. Rockets12

Rockets12 Member

Music was normally shorter in the 60's. I love the Beatles, but some of their songs are a bit weird (still like them though).

Not a band per se, but I don't get Dubstep or Rap.