1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Band drama - reality TV caliber

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Toast, Apr 22, 2005.

Tags:
  1. Toast

Toast Member

Man, do I need to vent.

Long story short. We have a gig today. Yesterday, right before band practice, our bassist gets re-admitted into a hospital. In the grand scheme of things, we all hope for a full recovery, and our thoughts go out to him and his family during this very stressful & hard time.

But the band goes on. We've got today's gig to concern ourselves with. Not to mention next weekend. And next weekend. And it doesn't exactly stop there either.

After a long practice, the other guitarist and I feel confident we can take the bass responsibilities for a handful of songs. Enough to play a set, anyway. DEFINITELY a short-term, stop-gap solution, 'cause I think we all can all agree there's a real difference between a guitarist playing bass and a bassist.

So anyway, I wake up this morning thinking to myself that hey, at least we can get through this weekend. Well, as fate would have it, I get a call from the band opening for us. It seems their guitarist/vocalist/songwriter/etc. has come down with food poisoning, and there's no way he can make it. Actually, this is the only funny part of the story. 'cause I like sitting here imagining him trying to drive here from Austin, taking stops every 5 minutes for potty breaks. Not to mention being on stage right at the peak of a huge jam and then suddenly feeling your stomach rumble. But I digress ... Ordinarily, it wouldn't be a big deal, having the opener cancel. We could just play 2 sets, and poof, no biggie.

But this isn't an ordinary day or an ordinary show. Hell, we've only practiced 11 songs sans bassist. It'll be stretching it just to play all of those!

So I've been working the phone all day trying to cash in a favor. I MIGHT have a bite.

When it rains, it freaking pours. I'm starting to feel like Noah over here. Except my arc's not ready yet.

2. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

"You know what this means, don't you?...... Jazz Odyssey"

[​IMG]

;)

3. Toast

Toast Member

I clearly specified I wanted it to read "BLENDT and puppet show" not the other way around.

This one's from the bassist, Nigel Tuffnel, he wrote this one :D

4. Isabel

Isabel Member

so... did you get through your gig OK?