1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

bamaslamma -> hampshireslamma?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Vik, Oct 1, 2003.

1. Vik

Vik Contributing Member

There is a libertarian group that is planning a mass migration into New Hampshire in order to turn it into an example for the rest of the country of small government.

http://www.cnn.com/2003/ALLPOLITICS/10/01/free.state.ap/index.html

I was just wondering what people's thoughts were on this, and does it mark the beginnings of more political fracturing on state lines or just another failed utopia-attempt in the making.

I can't think of any major examples of using migration for political reasons in this country, although I believe it has been used by leftist rebels in Africa in order to lend some democratic legitimacy to movements.

I guess what I'm saying is that it's not at all clear to me why we don't see more political migration in this country? Are we just too different regionally? Is this a good thing?

2. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Just when you think you've seen everything, you see something else.
    Things like this keep me from getting jaded about American life.

I've been telling my wife since Reagan was elected that it was time to move to New Zealand. She's never quite taken me seriously. Maybe this will give her a nudge. Or maybe she'll say she doesn't want to miss more of America's lunacy. Probably the latter. ;)

3. GreenVegan76

GreenVegan76 Contributing Member

I think it's awesome. They're thinking of coming to Vermont, and if they do, I'll fight them tooth and nail -- Vermont is the last bastion of liberal politics in the country! But I admire them for organizing such a massive political move. I don't agree with their politics, but love their passion.

I think such a move would force the local populace to re-examine their political ideologies and re-energize their voting bases. That's *never* a bad thing.

4. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

My plan to create an independent utopia on Redfish Island was foiled by erosion and mullets... :)

5. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Dammit! That would have been such a cool idea.
    Bloody mullets... mucking things up for everyone.

6. bamaslammer

bamaslammer Contributing Member

I think it is a great idea. Neal Boortz, the libertarian talk show host in ATL, has been talking about this project for several months on his show. The only reason why I wouldn't go would be because of my job and like Jimmy Buffett said, "I got to go where it's warm."

7. GreenVegan76

GreenVegan76 Contributing Member

Yeah, I came to Vermont (in part) because of its liberal politics. But DAMN it's cold, especially for Texas boys like me!