1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Ballpark Village next to Minute Maid Park

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by tigereye, Feb 8, 2021.

1. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Main Street is still well away from both stadiums. Even without covid, there was a lot of turnover in the restaurant/bar scene over there.

Eado is technically closer and has thrived… also probably helps that the rent is likely cheaper.

But having stuff right next to the ballpark/arena has been shown to work. While having team owned stuff does stifle competition (and the inevitable product ends up being fairly vanilla), people don’t need a huge variety prior or after a game… but its been proven they need “something”.

astros123 likes this.
  2. PhiSlammaJamma

If you build Kate Upton University right next to it, students will come.

3. tigereye

tigereye Member

They hope to break ground this fall. Will take 3 years to build

“The development will include a high-end, 4-star hotel, but the team has yet to secure a brand for the hotel, Crane said. The entertainment district is slated to include restaurants and an indoor tailgating area that can be used year-round. It will also include a walkway above the street, which will take guests directly to the club level of the ballpark.

The organization has hired an architecture firm and construction company for the project, Crane said, but the team did not confirm which companies it's working with prior to publication. Crane said the organization hopes to break ground on the project following the conclusion of the Astros’ season and that it could take about three years to complete. He added that the team might build the development in phases, with some parts of the entertainment district opening sooner than others”

#23 tigereye, Mar 24, 2023
    Last edited: Mar 24, 2023
  4. texans1095

texans1095 Member

Absolutely love it. This is what’s needed to take MMP from a really solid MLB ballpark to one of the truly great ballparks in terms of game day/ballpark experience.

STR8Thugg, RasaqBoi and astros123 like this.
  5. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

I understand they weren't part of the long term plan, but I wish they hadn't gotten rid of the bus and home plate bar if the plans were still this far out.

I liked pregaming there, now you have to walk a bit unless you want to deal with a small army or ballpark prices.

#25 sealclubber1016, Mar 25, 2023
    Last edited: Mar 25, 2023
  6. Buck Turgidson

Hope yall move that house somewhere, intact

7. Buck Turgidson

Now who, exactly, is going to be using all of these things on a year round regular basis?

I don't particularly care, I'm just curious.

#27 Buck Turgidson, Mar 25, 2023
    Last edited: Mar 25, 2023
    astros123 likes this.
  8. Buck Turgidson

Right, because everybody loves walking past a bunch of condos to get to your ballgame.

9. tigereye

tigereye Member

The Arthur B Cohn house (1905) is moving to Tony Marron Park but not until after TXDOT demolishes the 59 overpass during construction of the downtown reroute. That won’t start until 2027.

For one, convention guests. Once built, it connects the development on Avenida De Las Americas that’s already open to Minute Maid Park and adds an entertainment element to what GRBCC and the city can offer guests. Toyota Center is on the other end of ADLA, it could probably attract fans from there too (unless Tillman builds his own mixed use project behind the arena). It’s a much better setup than the Texas Rangers’ Texas Live complex, which is in a suburb surrounded by parking lots. If done right, it can attract business year round.

10. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

I wonder what happens if that reroute project gets canceled. The house is kind of stuck there otherwise.

11. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

That house isn't really "stuck" anywhere. I doubt many hundred year old buildings have shown such impressive mobility.

They need to do something with it because it looks like a horror movie set.

Jake Tower and RasaqBoi like this.
  12. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

I'm guessing Crane doesn't want to build a trebuchet large enough to toss it over one of the freeways to get it out of downtown.

Buck Turgidson likes this.
  13. Buck Turgidson

Given Houston's keen attention to and love for anything historic (ie anything older than about 50 years), I'm shocked it hasn't been bulldozed by now.

14. El_Conquistador

El_Conquistador King of the D&D, The Legend, #1 Ranking
    Supporting Member

If we want crowd noise and a true homefield advantage, we need a solid row of bars to get our fans properly lubed up before first pitch. It's unthinkable for it to have taken this long! A collaboration with Ferntits could actually be quite helpful here.

RasaqBoi likes this.
  15. Buck Turgidson

You know how I know you're trolling the bbs?

Nook likes this.
  16. tigereye

tigereye Member

Instead of helping the Astros, I would think Fertitta would create his own mixed use development in the lots behind Toyota Center south of GRBCC. Even though two of those lots are filled with a garage and The Rustic, the city has long had plans expanding GRBCC into Toyota Center and Tillman could play a role.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Another option is Tillman partnering with Skanska on the Discovery West project that would bring high rises catty corner across from the main entrance of Toyota Center.

[​IMG]

#36 tigereye, Mar 27, 2023
    Last edited: Mar 27, 2023
  17. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

This city's NBA arena (and main concert venue), MLB stadium, primary convention center, a dozen hotels and a highly trafficked park are all within a half mile of each other, yet east downtown is still dominated by empty parking lots.

I don't understand how that's possible.

RasaqBoi likes this.
  18. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

It’s the freeway/underpass that divides it all… and part of the reasoning to try and move it underground. The development can likely continue unfettered… or would make for some really nice green space to surround all the parks/arenas.

The parts of EaDo that are developed are actually some of the best combination of living/eating/drinking available in all of downtown. Its walkable. It’s got great variety. No boring office buildings to disrupt the flow.

cmoak1982 and MadMax like this.
  19. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

20. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

The downtown area was really lacking hotels up until 10 years ago but some great ones have been built. The Texas-shaped pool at the Marriott is real cool. And there's more hotels being built

dmoneybangbang likes this.