1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[BallInEurope] Rockets interested in Fernandez

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by worzel gummidge, Jul 13, 2010.

1. ASidd_1990

ASidd_1990 Rookie

Naw, I rather give up Budinger because Battier is a better defender and also an expiring contract, which is extremely valuable come trade deadline.

2. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

What do I think? I don't.

I don't understand why these trade proposals involve so much salary? Why are large expiring contract being included on both sides? It makes no sense.

Portland doesn't want empty salary for Rudy. They'll want picks and to avoid luxury tax.

Alexander Johnson (non-guaranteed)
    Mike Harris (non-guaranteed)
    2011 second rounder (higher of Rockets' or Clippers')
    Cash

THAT is a more likely package for Rudy.

Portland probably wants a first rounder, though.

3. W22_STREAK

W22_STREAK Member

exactly. I'd give up a NY pick for Fernandez. Thats how much he can mean to us. Buy low, sell high :)

4. ASidd_1990

ASidd_1990 Rookie

They'll want some sort of talent coming back to them. At least Taylor or Budinger.

5. W22_STREAK

W22_STREAK Member

Don't thnk thats anywhere near enough for Rudy. We probably need to give up a first rounder swap.

6. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Fernandez doesn't have the stats in his two seasons in the league to justify trading an asset like Budinger, and I wouldn't trade a first for him, either. I thought Bima's idea made the most sense.

7. PeppermintCandy

Rudy would be nice, but I'd rather keep Budinger over getting Fernandez.

8. BimaThug

Supporting Member

Possibly, but Portland's loaded on the wings.

I'd offer the 2011 second rounder and see if Rudy can't pressure his way out of Portland. I'm sure he'd welcome a trade to Houston, who he knows wanted him badly in 2007 and has a coach in Adelman who caters more to his style of play. Buy low.

But, yeah. A first rounder may be necessary.

9. rockets934life

rockets934life Contributing Member

I have never truly looked at Bud's numbers compared to Rudy's, and while I am a big Fernandez fan, Chase's numbers are VERY similar. VERY similar styles and both can leap, of course Fernandez's international experience may set him apart but so far they are similar.

10. ASidd_1990

ASidd_1990 Rookie

While Chase is more explosive, I think Rudy has a better overall game. He is quicker and has a better jumpshot.

11. worzel gummidge

Miller, Bayless, Johnson (unsigned 34th pick, 2010), Mills (unsigned, qualifying offer extended)
    Roy, Matthews, Fernandez, Williams (21st pick, 2010)
    Batum, Cunningham (6-8 SF & PF), Babbitt
    Aldridge, Pendergraph (6-9 PF & C)
    Camby, Oden, Przybilla

Przybilla was the second or third large salary on the Blazers last season depending on whether waived players count. He'll be the fourth largest contract on the Blazers this upcoming season. The top 5 contracts on each team are covered the league's insurance.

Przybilla missing first few months of the season? Oden might or might not be back by then as he's coming off his second major injury in three years.

So the Blazers are basically left with a 6-9 Penderpgraph and a 6-8 Cunningham as their backups in the frontcourt.

Do the Blazers need a 6-11 Jeffries just to have defense in that size for the first few months of the season?

If Przybilla is done, 80% of his contract, is covered by insurance after 41 days. A trade asset for either the Rockets or Blazers to hold onto at the trade deadline but again do the Blazers's have an immediate need at the 4 or 5?

Jeffries (+ future pick/s or Taylor, etc..) for Fernandez + Przybilla
    Blazers save $1.76818M

Blazers team salary is currently $64.72M not including Williams or Matthews
    LT threshold is $70.307M

Does Matthews frontloaded deal count towards the cap as $9.5M or is that much salary just paid in advance? If that $9.5M doesn't fully count towards their cap this year and the savings helps them avoid the tax the deal could be could be even more attractive.

Blazers have the draft rights to big man Joel Freeland or even sign and trade Patty Mills as a third PG. Freeland would cost the Rockets more but Mills could be added as a throw in.

It's also only a 60 day wait if the Rockets eye Fernandez as a trade asset to make a trade package more attractive.

12. BimaThug

Supporting Member

The fact is, the Blazers have 16 players right now. Sure, Mills and Johnson aren't signed yet; but Mills has been pretty awesome in summer league, and Johnson also looks very solid and may not be convinced to go play in Europe (with Portland risking having to waive him and lose his rights).

Hence, the allure of keeping a Fernandez trade simple by only involving non-guaranteed contracts and a pick.

As for Matthews, the full $9.5M will NOT count against the cap/tax next year. That's just the actual amount that the Blazers will be paying him next season. The bonus portion of that amount gets spread across the life of his deal for cap figure purposes.

13. worzel gummidge

http://twitter.com/fisolanydn
    http://www.nydailynews.com/blogs/knicks/2010/07/new-york-knicks-still-covet-ru.html
    http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/b...-07-16_isiah_digging_in_at_garden.html?page=1

14. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

i've liked fernandez as a player since even before he came over from europe, but i really don't see a spot for him on our roster especially when you consider his disinterest in playing D

15. Trackwell

Trackwell Member

Thats my feeling as well

16. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

i think fernandez would flourish in Rick's system, plus it gives us a leg up in the Ricky Rubio race :grin:

I'd do the Knicks 1st in 2012, plus more.

17. tdogg310

tdogg310 Member

You are lucky you didnt say book it. There is no way Rudy would get more minutes in our system than martin. That's just insane.

18. thumbs

thumbs Contributing Member

You do know that Rudy made his bones as a PG early in his career. However, his shooting was so slick he was moved to SG. However, Rudy would give us a tall PG with range if Brooks were traded in a deal for a "co-center" for Yao Ming.

19. Seth

Seth Member

Be aware, both picks will be lottery. There is no Nash in NY.

20. trueroxfan

trueroxfan Member

give em taylor