1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[$Ball]Quantifying Next Year's Success(or Failure)

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by CXbby, Jul 18, 2009.

1. CXbby

CXbby Member

First off, I feel like I need a big fat disclaimer because most of what I am about to talk about is hypothetical, and I fully realize basketball is not played on spread sheets or what ifs. However, to be able to analyze anything at all means we must make some assumptions. That doesn't mean it has to be taken literally. And please, somebody correct me if any of my #s or, more importantly, logic is wrong.

So the essence of Moneyball is the optimal usage of resources. In this case, it is the attempt to squeeze every penny of out of a cap constrained payroll. Actually it is to get the most value out of those pennies. In other words, the whole point of $Ball is to acquire players that will outperform their salary. This way, when faced against a team with similar payroll, $Ball wins.

My question is, will we outperform(our payroll) next year? And how will we know?

This question has been irrelevant in previous years. This is because we've had a full roster, and full payroll. The measure for success has been simple: Win a Championship. In reality, we were still asking that same question, only it was unspoken- outperforming a full payroll means outperforming every other team = Win a Championship.

This year, however, half our payroll will be inactive. Obviously we can not measure success by a Championship. Not only is that unrealistic, it is illogical: we are not on the same playing field as other teams since we do not have the same active payroll. So how do we measure success? I've used two ways to quantify "outperformance", yielding surprisingly similar conclusions. This is all very hypothetical though so bare with me.

Here are some numbers first:

Houston Rockets 09/10 active payroll: $34,802,866
    This is our total payroll minus the salaries for Yao Ming and Tracy Mcgrady. Also assuming we cut James White, while signing David Andersen for $2.5mil and Chase Budinger, Jermaine Taylor for $800,000 each.

NBA average team payroll: $63,565,527
    This is just an average of every team's payroll. I realize it may be a little off since some players have yet to sign. However for arguments sake, we'll use it anyways.

http://hoopshype.com/salaries.htm

Before we proceed, we need to determine how to quantify performance. This is easy: wins.

So now, to determine "outperformance" we need to first determine "par". If you put NBA team wins on a Bell curve, par would be 41. Another way to look at it is if every team were equal, then they would all have 41-41 records. We have already found out what the par payroll is: the average salary of $63,565,527.

With those numbers we can extrapolate par for the Rockets.

The ratio of our active payroll to par payroll is:
    $34,802,866/$63,565,527= 0.5475

Therefore the par number of wins for the Rockets is:
    0.5475*41= 22.45

Outperformance next year means we must win more than par, or 22 games.

A second way I determined this was even more simple.

Total salary for all teams last year: $1,906,965,795

Total number of wins every year: 1260

From this we can calculate, in essence, on average how much $ it costs per win.

$1,906,965,795/1260= $1,513,464.91

Since we know the Rockets active payroll, we can now determine par wins:
    $34,802,866/$1,513,464.91= 23.00

This is a very similar result compared to the first method. Outperformance here means winning more than 23 games.

Now that we know this, what does it all mean? It means I have way too much time on my hands, and if you've read this far and you are still interested, you do too.

Ok, seriously now. We've determined that par wins next year is 22-23 wins. What that means is if we have no edge what so ever, no advantage or disadvantage in any way, shape or form, we win 22-23 games. What it also means is that our players have all performed to their salaries.

However the purpose of $Ball is to find players that outperform their salaries. We can conclude that we must win more than 22-23 games next year, or $Ball has failed. That is our quantified measure of success, on a level playing field.

Now, I readily admit that there are plenty of holes in this argument, because there are other factors that affect performance. Coaching and chemistry immediately come to mind. So if we win significantly more than 22-23 games next year, these factors have to be taken in consideration. However, at least partly it will be because our players have outperformed their salaries due to the principles of $Ball.

1 person likes this.
  2. CXbby

CXbby Member

Keep in mind I am using a very elementary model here, so don't take it too seriously. We neither have Morey's resources nor his time and effort. I'm sure he has black boxes figuring this stuff out somewhere. LOL.

3. foo82

foo82 Member

There is a huge flaw in your analysis. You run under the assumption that other teams do not have injuries. While you use our active payroll, you are comparing it to an average payroll, not an average active payroll.

4. CXbby

CXbby Member

I don't know if I would call that a flaw, it is an assumption. I cannot give you an active payroll for every team because injuries are unforeseen. To have any analysis or discussion at all we need some constants.

5. CXbby

CXbby Member

Actually, I apologize, I see what you are saying now. You are right, for accuracy's sake I should have used the average active payroll. It's just too tedious to go through every team figuring out who is currently injured though. If you would like to do it and provide me the #s, we can plug it back in the formula though. ;)

Again, I wouldn't say it is a HUGE flaw. I doubt it would change the average payroll # I used by more than 2-3mil. I mean, there aren't that many other teams missing 40mil from their roster.

6. 9495

9495 Member

maybe you can use the average percentage of active payroll vs team payroll.

7. NotInMyHouse

NotInMyHouse Contributing Member

Very interestng post. I couldn't imagine this team only winning 23 games, but we will see. Does basketball have something similar to the Pythagorean Theorem used in baseball to predict the number of wins? Over the last three seasons I believe the Astros have beaten the theorem projections, though I think in some cases the prediction was very close to the actual record.

http://www.baseballprospectus.com/article.php?articleid=342

8. CXbby

CXbby Member

The easiest way is just to go through every single team, see who is currently injured, and sum up the active payroll. Then take the average.

I say easiest but I sure as hell ain't doing it. Someone else can. ;)

Like I said though, the outcome won't be affected by that much, however it will be more accurate.

9. CXbby

CXbby Member

Oh, that's not what I am saying at all. The conclusion was that if our players play to their salaries, we will win 22-23 games. However I have a sneaking suspicion that they will outperform by a large margin. That is the point of $Ball after all.

10. tikwanleap

tikwanleap Contributing Member

Interesting idea... but the biggest flaw I see is that you're assuming a linear relationship between active payroll and wins. To make a better model, you really need to go back in history and find how wins and active payroll varies. I'm pretty sure it's not linear.

To me 22-23 wins seems overly pessimistic.

11. NotInMyHouse

You're right and thanks for the clarification. I suspect as well that they'd outperform that win total. How does getting McGrady back (hypothetical) by the All Star break chnage the win total? Are you aware if "win shares" can be attributed to basketball players as it is with baseball players? I think that is usually a post season calculation.

12. CXbby

CXbby Member

This is a great point, and by far the biggest question mark to my whole premise. Here was my rationale:

On a case by case basis, there is absolutely NOT a linear relationship. All you need to look at is teams like the Knicks. They have a 100mil payroll yet can't win squat. Certain teams will get more out of their payrolls and certain teams, like the aforementioned, get very little.

However, I figured taken as a whole, the discrepancies would even out, and form a more linear relationship. When all things are equal, more salary = more talent = more wins. Of course that qualifier is paramount.

13. CXbby

CXbby Member

In a modified setting, absolutely.

14. CXbby

CXbby Member

And to further elaborate, even though we can't be sure if it is a linear relationship, we can easily assume it is a positive relationship. If that is the case, my conclusions can at least serve as guesstimations, as opposed to accurate predictions. Which were my intentions anyways.

BTW guys sorry for triple posting, I guess I am the only one up so far :D

15. roslolian

roslolian Member

First off let me commend you for typing all that stuff up and coming up with an interesting idea.

However, I'm not sure if we can use the dollars paid in order to determine the number of wins the team should have. The thing is we have a ton of guys playing on rookie contracts right now:

Brooks
    Lowry
    Andersen
    Scola
    Landry
    Budinger

^That's six of my guestimated 9 man roster which will probably see playing time next season. Add all those salaries up and add up a ridiculously low 12.5 million or 8 wins according to your formula. I think even if you're reduced to just those guys you'd probably still win 8 games overall lol. Basically, we can't count those guys since they're playing with a discount. However, one way of looking at things though is that we got those players via $moneyball. Landry was signed to a cheap extension via moneyball and the rest on the list were brought here via moneyball as well. However once you include them in your formula it becomes a reverse catch 22...moneyball wins no matter what you do.

Rather than doing it by team wins, why don't you do list the players Morey has gotten at his tenure and decide whether they outperformed their contract or not? A standard GM would probably have as many hits as misses (i.e. par), so if Morey got more guys who outperformed than guys who were just wasted capspace then I suppose we can call the moneyball strategy a win.

16. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

There is an inherent flaw when looking only at the $$$$ to determine success.

Because there are players that outperform their contracts, or are on rookie scale contracts etc.

Imagine how your formula would fare during Larry Bird's rookie year?

The Rockets have a few players that perform better than their contracts...most notably.

Scola, Brooks, Wafer, Landry.....and possibly Andersen.......so using $$$$ as the only factor is a tough sell for me...

DD

17. roslolian

roslolian Member

we basically said the same thing lol

18. SuperS32

SuperS32 Member

As someone else mentioned, a better indicator of present and future success is win shares, not payroll. However, even win shares is an extremely rudimentary method of predicting essentially the unpredictable (injuries, etc.) Using the win shares of our roster from last season:

Yao - about 10, but won't be playing, so counts as 0
    Scola - 8.4
    Ariza - 6.2 with Lakers
    Landry- 5.8
    Battier - 5.1
    Brooks - 3.5
    McGrady - 2.6, will count him as 0 for now
    Wafer - 2.6, count him as 0 for now
    Lowry - 1.8
    Hayes - 1.6
    Barry - 1.4
    James White- 0
    Buddinger - 0 (rookie)
    Taylor - 0 (rookie)
    Anderson - 0 (rookie)
    Dorsey - 0 (rookie)
    Cook - negative 0.1, lol

That adds up to 40 wins. This assumes no injuries to the current roster (especially the most valuable players like Scola and Ariza).

You have to figure that at least a small portion of Yao and T-Mac's win shares will be compensated for by new additions and role players, such as Ariza/Brooks' increased roles and the rookies. Ariza did play for the Lakers though, which meant more opportunity for win shares. Here's maybe a rough prediction of next year, assuming limited injuries and no roster movement:

Scola - 8.5
    Ariza - 6.5
    Landry- 5.5 (includes possible time missed for injuries)
    Battier - 5.0 (possible time missed for injuries)
    Brooks - 6.0
    Lowry - 2.8
    Hayes - 1.5
    Barry - 0.2
    James White- 0 (won't make the team IMO)
    Buddinger - 3.0
    Taylor - ?
    Anderson - 3.0
    Dorsey - 1.5
    Cook - lets hope he doesn't play

Add up to about 43 wins, which I think is a realistic view of this team unless someone like Brooks or Ariza blows up. I think I'm being very generous with Anderson and Buddinger too considering they've proven nothing.

40-45 wins is probably the range this team is looking at now unless it makes a major move.

19. NotInMyHouse

Thank you for posting this! This is what I was looking for. Where did you grab this from?

20. JCDenton

JCDenton Member

You really don't understand statistical analysis, do you? The Knicks payroll doesn't have much to do with whether or not the relationship is linear. It's just an outlier that, when included in the data set, lowers the correlation coefficient of the function that tells you how wins vary based on money spent.

What the lack of linearity in the relationship REALLY means is that each win is not worth the same amount of money. As wins increase, the marginal cost of the next win also increases. It's much easier to improve from 40 to 50 wins than it is from 50 to 60 wins. This means the function would be a curve if graphed. NOT A LINE, NOT A LINEAR RELATIONSHIP. That this (something anyone with even a very basic knowledge of statistics would know) was not instantly apparent to you is probably an indication that you shouldn't be making threads like this where you purport to "analyze" something.