1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Ball Don't Lie. The NBA A-through-Z: Hakeem-Olajuwon

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by DJGRIND, Sep 20, 2010.

1. Artie_Fufkin

Artie_Fufkin Member

I love that clip. Can't watch it enough.

2. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Kelly Dwyer article giving props to Hakeem. Sweet.

The move at 2:12 doesn't get enough credit from this series. Watch Avery Johnson and Vinnie Del Negro on that play converge to try to help David Robinson triple team Hakeem, and watch Hakeem spin away from the triple team and destroy it. Sick move for a guard to make, but damn near inhuman for a 6'11" 260 lbs. center to make.

I always give props to David Robinson for the class act he was during the post-game interview in that clip. Say what you want about the man, but he gave Hakeem his props and gave credit where credit's due.

3. Someguy1229

Someguy1229 Member

I wonder if Yao is gonna be "Y".

4. tinman

tinman Member
    Supporting Member

Hakeem should be the first thing people learn about the Houston Rockets.

5. RyanB

RyanB Member

this
    the best center ever ( no disrespect to Russel,Kareem and Chamberlain :grin: )

6. t_mac1

t_mac1 Member

it should be the first thing people learn about when it comes to centers in general. no center was as skilled as he was on both ends of the floor. real basketball heads i talk to always give respect to hakeem. straight up respect.

7. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Member
    Supporting Member

That clip literally brings tears (of joy) to my eyes....

8. david_rocket

david_rocket Member

Nice article!

9. drunkdesi

drunkdesi Member

Some love for Dream!!

Nice to see people recognize him as possibly the most unguardable post player to play the game. :grin:

10. \/|()L/\T()R

\/|()L/\T()R Member

yeah i read that, lots of people around the country love Dream...

Also found this Michael Jordan interview in a cigar article:

http://www.cigaraficionado.com/Cigar/CA_Archives/CA_Show_Article/0,2322,1666,00.html

MRS: Michael, I'm now giving you the opportunity to create the Dream Team of Michael Jordan, of all players of basketball. You're on the team, and you can name four other guys at different positions. That doesn't mean there aren't 20 other great guys for those positions, but you can explain your picks.
    JORDAN: That's a very good question. It's going to be somewhat biased because I didn't play back in the days of Wilt Chamberlain, Bill Russell, some of the great stars prior to me. And it's very tough because I'm friends with a lot of players today.

But if I had to pick a center, I would take Olajuwon. That leaves out Shaq, Patrick Ewing. It leaves out Wilt Chamberlain. It leaves out a lot of people. And the reason I would take Olajuwon is very simple: he is so versatile because of what he can give you from that position. It's not just his scoring, not just his rebounding or not just his blocked shots. People don't realize he was in the top seven in steals. He always made great decisions on the court. For all facets of the game, I have to give it to him.

That's love right there.

11. daeyeth

daeyeth Member

It was a lazy, half-assed tribute for the greatest center to ever play basketball. Here's a post from the comments that it put fantastically.

12. KellyDwyer

KellyDwyer Member

I spent four days on that post. Spent hours on it. I wrote, in full, probably close to 3500 words. I worked on it through the weekend, on a Friday night, on a Sunday night, on a Sunday afternoon when everyone else was off watching football. It took up all morning on Monday until deadlines forced me to put it up.

I couldn't get it right in a way that did service to his legacy, and his dominance. So instead of forcing 1200 words of crap down people's throats, I stepped back and let his game do the talking. I wish others would do the same.

But, sure, I was totally trumped by a kid who still calls him "Hakim" Olajuwon. :rolleyes:

2 people like this.
  13. tinman

tinman Member
    Supporting Member

the 99ers like your article. we of pure Rockets blood and knowledge of clutch city approve.

14. KDavis

KDavis Member

Hakeem is indescribable...I approve of your post

15. Pieman2005

Pieman2005 Member

wow..

16. EffTheJazz!!!

EffTheJazz!!! Member

Hoooolllldddddddddd upppppppppp!!!! Kelly Dwyer has a clutchfans!? Since 2001!!?? Daaammnn, props for keeping on writing after all the crap you've prolly heard..

But sorry, here's some more.. dude, YOU FREAKING SUCK! 11th best center in the league? Really? Wow, even factoring in limited minutes,11th? GTFO.

1 person likes this.
  17. LScolaDominates

Any chance you could grace CF with some of your unused material?

18. tonyt8605

tonyt8605 Member

I will argue any and everyone who says Dream isn't the best center to ever play. The man could do everything and defend everyone.

19. david_rocket

david_rocket Member

Your article is great! a few people know about Hakeem, thanks for spreading the word!
    You could posted vids about hakeem playing against the bulls and jordan to prove he was a nightmare for them, and they couldnt stop him.