1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Bad press and the Rockets

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by WestendMassive, Sep 17, 2014.

1. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

That's because none of that is really true.

2. abaker28

abaker28 Member

Out of interest, why did you mention Parsons desperately wanted to leave?
    Maybe I've missed something, but I never got that and assumed the only reason he left was because we weren't willing to match the Mav's offer.
    I actually read the complete opposite in that Parson's was disappointed and hurt that we didn't match it and keep him a Rocket.

3. wise_man

wise_man Member

I dont care what anybody else says or thinks .I love my rockets regardless of what they do or how their court looks like. Matter of fact I just spoiled myself with rockets stuff worth 170.00 dollars for only 85.00 dollars at the toyota center store. It was 50% off .Thank you again rockets. Go rockets......

4. afk

afk Member

Winning, and it all goes away.

5. solid

solid Contributing Member

In sports and in life it is sometimes good to be hated. Better than ignored.

6. watashi315

watashi315 Member

The fact that we're a very average team built for the regular season but not the playoffs. However, we act like we're 1-2 pieces away from a championship.

The fact that our current and/or former players don't get along with management.

The fact that there's the "perception" around the league that nobody wants to play for us.

The fact that our GM is perceived as arrogant and heartless when treating players.

7. GoRox2013

GoRox2013 Member

Bingo!

8. watashi315

watashi315 Member

Morey has had to balance a lot of priorities since he joined the Rockets.

1). Construct a winning, playoff bound team
    2). Be fiscally responsible - don't overspend
    3). Bring in star players so we can attract more star players
    4). Bring us a championship
    5). Make us exciting to watch so we can sell tickets even if we suck

Nobody can accomplish all of these objectives simultaneously without sacrificing something. I think what Morey needs to do is prioritize. Communicate with the owner the issues at hand. A conversation can go something like this:

Okay, we're not winning a ring any time soon and we're a pretty small market team that won't attract big names. So what can we accomplish in the next 2-3 years? Go far in the playoffs. That should be his objective. Not swing for the fence but simply settle for second or third base.

- So how do I do that? Everything starts at the top. Get a good coach that can instill discipline in players and make good adjustments on the fly - defensively and offensively. We could've had Thibs but we let him go to Chicago.

- Go after a few solid players that are consummate professionals. They will be the locker room voice. They lead the team by example. They bring you that 20-10 stat line night in, night out. Then build the pieces around them.

- Develop chemistry. Keep the core intact. Keep the coach there. This will eventually help us go further than the first round in the playoffs.

- Once we have playoff credibility, big name players will see that we're an organization that values winning and chemistry. They will naturally consider us as a top destination.

Morey should've followed this strategy from the beginning and stuck with it. He should've tried to persuade Les Alexander that this is the route to follow. Simply throwing money at flashy but spoiled, one-dimensional star players will not attract other higher caliber star players. It doesn't work like that.

9. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I care about what the Rockets do on the court more than what the press says about the Rockets

don't forgot the Rockets won two championships and the press didn't like them.

I care about how I feel about the Rockets

10. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Examples? "We" as in players, management, coaches, or fans?

11. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

nobody talks about the Spurs. They only whipped Lebron and the Heat.

And guess what? after the Spurs won, they still talk about LeBron.

If we win a championship, and nobody talks about the Rockets , then I'm all for it.

12. watashi315

watashi315 Member

I don't know about that. Spurs went through some good teams out West to get to the Finals. The Spurs and their championship season has been pretty well documented in the press during the last several months. Including profiles pieces on individual players.

People will always talk about Lebron because he's a superstar and the best player in the NBA.

13. tkrieger

tkrieger Member

6. The Rockets organization is steadfast with the "Moreyball" layups-and-threes offense, in spite of being rendered ineffective repeatedly in post-season play. (Remember when half of us were talking Western Conference Finals prior to the post-season?) In essence, this organization will repeat the same strategies this coming season, and expect a different result.

14. jordnnnn

jordnnnn Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Papanikolaou said former Rockets Scola, Asik and believe it or not Vasillis Spanoulis among those that recommended he sign with Rockets.</p>&mdash; Jonathan Feigen (@Jonathan_Feigen) <a href="https://twitter.com/Jonathan_Feigen/status/513093745529470976">September 19, 2014</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

15. Rokman

Rokman Member

There is one MAJOR difference between us and them. That was a VERY dirty team. They were notorious for injuring other players as well as flopping and forcing bad calls by the refs. The hate for the Jazz was palpable to say the least. They are still my most hated team ever. The problem with the Rockets is that they have a GM whose remarks about his team have been controversial over the years, Dwight has been widely scrutinized due to past transgressions and turning his back on LA (who's fan base considers themselves Gods gift to basketball), Harden has been touted as the best SG in the league with Kobe and Wade still playing (media darlings) and majority of average NBA fans favorites, and Beverly causing a stir due to the Westbrook injury and his unrelenting defense which pesters the crap out of opposing teams top guards and their die hard fans. Plenty of polarizing aspects about the Rockets right now from a national standpoint..... But one he'll of a great looking team from a true fans perspective like myself. Go Rockets and F the rest!!

16. Aleron

Aleron Contributing Member

Did Asik stop hating us when he got traded to a starting role for his contract year?

17. Aleron

Aleron Contributing Member

The 2 most regular season players on our list were Parsons and Lin....

18. rox4lyf

rox4lyf Member

So what? I swear some of the adults on this board act like pre pubescent children. It went from "omg we get no respect from the media" to now "omg all the press hates us". First, who the hell cares one way or the other. Second, you don't control the narrative. Some of you want your cake and want to eat it too. You don't get to have it both ways especially when in the grand scheme of things the Rockets have not accomplished anything meaningful in a really long time. Those people complaining would be the same people hating on the Rockets if they were fans of other teams. From the top down, whether you like it or not, the narrative is that the Rockets are an entitled, arrogant bunch without the hardware to back it. You tell me...if you weren't a rockets can you'd hate them too.

19. Texanasiafan

Texanasiafan Member

That's why TMZ makes sh!tload of money, dude.

People generally don't like to read heart warming stories nowadays, that's not entertainment.

To make teams like the Kings / Bucks / Magic as the villain of the NBA doesn't work, they do not have the material to create the hatred.

You got to be both good and bad and it fits perfectly for the Rockets.

The Spurs? Boring as hell.

20. lastreg

lastreg Member

Can't agree more.

We are perpetual 1-2 pieces away from WCF.