1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Bad press and the Rockets

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by WestendMassive, Sep 17, 2014.

1. MONON

MONON Member

Really!?! Then you must have forgotten that in 94, for the 1st time ever, SI didn't put the NBA champions (ROCKETS) on it's cover. Now after the uproar from Texas, they reissued their southwest addition with the Rockets on the cover. Yes, that still sticks in my craw!

But really, Houston's just the 10th largest media market. Dwight's past antics & then leaving The Holy Grail.. I mean Lakers, Hardens perceived defenselessness & flopping, DM's statistics & asset management and Bosh turning us down TWICE has made the Rockets very "pickable" for the press.

But, but, but...San Antonio with Pop & R.C. Buford are a smaller market and they get some love! Yes, but they've been together for 17 years & have 4...oops, my bad... 5 championships. I guarantee that if DM stays here a similar amount of time & gets a couple of rings, we'll get the love. We have to at least make the WCF to be considered though.

2. bmd

bmd Member

3. abaker28

abaker28 Member

Oops - meant Parsons leaving.
    Not sure if you're being sarcastic, but my point was there have been a number of factors leading towards the negative media.
    Personally I couldn't care less. All I want to see is we get the 50+ wins and get a 3rd chance to redeem ourselves and make it past the 1st round of finals.
    That's truly the only way to shut the doubters up and make a statement which the team is more than capable of.

4. GoRox2013

GoRox2013 Member

Don't talk to loud, you'll make "them" angry

5. FTW Rockets FTW

FTW Rockets FTW Contributing Member

It's ok to be hated. Although some of it warranted (McHale inpet coaching and Morey's number crunching not yet proving anything) and some of it unwarranted (Howard and Harden). It means you are media relevant and doing something right.

No one hates lottery teams like 76ers or Kings or Wolves etc.

6. BinBinRingRing

It's all the Harden, Lin, Parsons, Dwight, Asik, Beverly, Morey **** happening in just a few months bringing the franchises face down little by little to this point. We can still come back little by little so dun worry.

7. Kevooooo

Kevooooo Member

Doesn't bother me in the slightest.

I welcome the doubters. James Harden, Dwight Howard, and Daryl Morey will prove all the haters wrong. I would much prefer they doubt us than over hype us. If we were the 8th seed going into the playoffs this season, no one would trash us, because it would be what they expected. Now all we have to do is be the 7th seed to "wow" people. These fools. Fine by me, we'll take the low key route to The Finals.

8. chenjy9

chenjy9 Numbers Don't Lie
    Supporting Member

I really don't understand why some fans get their panties twisted when the national media and other team fans hate on us. Why does it matter to you? Is some non-Rockets fan or national media head going to influence how much you like your favorite team? If so, you need to take a long hard look at your fan hood or get off the wagon. Players will continue to chase the money or chase a ring (LBJ and Cavs). Haters will continue to hate. Fans will continue to support their teams.

9. bongman

bongman Member

Bad press doesn't take/add points in the scoreboard nor does it change the number of wins or losses. It doesn't matter even if we win the championship this year, there will always be haters.

10. across110thstreet

across110thstreet Contributing Member

media members, the other owners, and GM's probably thought Morey and the Rockets were a bit out of control with their arrogance, basically expecting a coup three offseasons in a row.

this is the backlash

11. ZNB

ZNB Contributing Member

How can we expect the national media to like the Rockets when most of the posters on here hate the Rockets and all their players?

1 person likes this.
  12. tycoonchip

tycoonchip Member
    Supporting Member

R u kidding me? JEREMY F'N LIN is gone!! It's all love now baby!

13. ApuN

ApuN Member

Dude, If you set your watch to what the media thinks of you or what your perception of what the media thinks of you, you have some serious mental issues.

Alot of whats being reflected in the media is the way Parson whined and moaned like a b**** when he left

But really, who cares? At the end of the day a team is judged on wins and losses- thats all that matters.

14. GoRox2013

GoRox2013 Member

Hate is a strong word. I'd say posters like myself and others, just hold the players, coach & GM to a higher standard. This offseason was a HUGE disappointment. Alot of pure Rocket fans are confused from the message the organization promotes (championship now), verse the inability this offseason to sign any proven role players that compliment H&H. We actually have more holes than we did last year and Kevin Mchale is still coaching us smh. Jason Terry is a decent signing, but our bench is the worst in the league on paper. No hate

15. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

You guys have short memories.

We used to hate Dwight. Remember all the talk about him being hyped but not as good as Yao? Remember all the talk about him throwing SVG under the bus? Remember all the talk about him going half-ass on the Lakers?

We used to hate Harden too, maybe not as much as Howard. Remember how many posters thought him being hit by Artest on the head was "deserved" because he liked to intentionally run into other players to get possible foul?

Now we hate Parsons because he's a "traitor" but we took a lot of traitors from other teams.

If you step back and look at it from the non-Rockets perspective, you know why we are a hate-able team.

16. bmd

bmd Member

Yep, I remember all of that. I remember a lot of
    people saying they didn't even want Dwight.

17. BamBam

BamBam Contributing Member

[​IMG]

"Haters gonna hate"....:eek:

18. BONIERO1576

BONIERO1576 Member

I think right now a lot of fans see us as card counters. Like Moorie is trying to figure out a way to game the system but we keep coming up short because our players are empty numbers. They lack heart, they lack defense, they play dirty are all part of that narrative.

This is the Western Conference, and we have been trying to shift the power in our favor for some time now. But I still prefer Maury's approach of swinging for the fences and ending up with egg on his face than just trying to fill the void and maxing out our cap with mediocre players.

The only thing that will change that perception is winning.

19. Roxnostalgia

Roxnostalgia Contributing Member

Whatever.

James is the kind of player that you love to hate if he doesn't play for your team. He gets the line AT WILL in the regular season and his recent post-season woes validate a "He's overrated!" dialogue. Look at how that video is somehow evidence that James doesn't care about defense. Look at the zeal with which people ate up the bogus Donuts tweet. You hate Dwight because ESPN and even Deadspin tell you you're supposed to.

Personally, I'm sure I hold unfounded prejudices about other players in the league which are mostly the result of headline-grabbing journalism and my not caring to verify it as fact. If just makes it easier to swallow that the Rockets just got lit up by Carmello if he just cares about himself and was jealous
    :rolleyes:
    of some backup that sometimes played for us.

20. Jim Stinehart

Jim Stinehart Member

Bad press on the Rockets

Curiously, you don't mention several of the most important reasons why the Rockets are currently getting a bad press:

1. Omer Asik desperately wanted to leave the Rockets.

2. Chandler Parsons desperately wanted to leave the Rockets.

3. Jeremy Lin desperately wanted to leave the Rockets.

4. Even many Rockets fans see Kevin McHale as being the worst coach in the NBA.

5. James Harden has not played well in the playoffs (and, as you mention, he is now viewed by many as being the worst defensive player in the NBA).