1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Bad news regarding our lottery pick

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Yonizzel, Apr 17, 2012.

1. Yonizzel

Yonizzel Rookie

Unfortunately, I think our lottery pick is in jeopardy :(

The suns next games are: OKC,LAC,DEN,UTA,SAS... OKC and SAS are fighting for 1st seed, so they are not likely to throw games away.

Our next games are: DAL, NOH, GSW, MIA, NOH... NOH and GSW want to lose to get a better spot in the draft. MIA is 2.5 games behind chicago and 4.5 games ahead of indiana, there is not a big chance that that will change by the time we play them, so I see them sitting out the big 3, leaving us against a bunch of scrubs.

It seems as if we probably will end up making the playoffs. The good news is that if we are up against the spurs, they are old and we could pull off a memphis type upset.

2. coolweather

coolweather Contributing Member

we will win it all...

3. seclusion

seclusion rip chadwick

4. Yonizzel

Yonizzel Rookie

I slept on it to avoid any knee-jerk symptoms.

1 person likes this.
  5. Yonizzel

Yonizzel Rookie

Thank you for your valuable input, repped. jk (about both).

6. VBG

VBG Member

Losing the lottery pick this year gives us more flexibility overall.

7. Yonizzel

Yonizzel Rookie

Yeah, I was in the pro-tank division but I'm not 100% sure anymore, since its the 9th seed and we will probably get another morris or patterson type player. Whereas if we move up later in the pick we may have more luck with a parsons type guy.

8. Mkieke

Mkieke Member

1) Majority of Suns games are at home. Still difficult, but wouldn't be crazy for them to finish 3-2.

2) NOH are 5 out of their last 6. Gordon has really provided a spark. Won't be an easy win.

3) Have you looked @ Utah's schedule yet? Easy schedule. Even if we go 3-2, all they need to do is win their final 3 home games and, since they have the tie break, they'll be ahead of us.

9. Yonizzel

Yonizzel Rookie

explain, also you spelled coach Greg's name wrong.

10. Yonizzel

Yonizzel Rookie

y u mad tho?

11. seclusion

seclusion rip chadwick

I flamed you initially for being so concerned about a third straight (borderline useless) #14 pick, but I decided to be nice. You're welcome.

12. VBG

VBG Member

If we lose our lottery pick this year, we can trade our future picks (you have to have a pick every other year).

13. rocketblaze

rocketblaze Member

Utah's remaining schedule is a cake walk, and they also have the tiebreaker against us. Not to mention we still have Dallas, Miami and a re-surfacing Hornets team on the schedule.

Rockets lottery pick is secured... :eek:

14. Asian Sensation

We lost huge games down the stretch to Utah, Phoenix and Denver 2x. If we would've won one of those games we probably would've been in. We don't deserve the playoffs and for the ****ty tank job we will get the 14th pick. ****!

15. Mkieke

Mkieke Member

What? I'm not mad. I'm just saying that unless Houston goes 4-1 or 5-0 they likely won't make the playoffs. I'm fine with that. We probably have the same probability of winning a first round playoff series as we do winning the lottery at this point in time. I'd rather win the lottery.

16. Raven

Raven Member

Probably true since the last thing we need is another "NBA ready" player. Nope, the Rockets should have tanked, but it's too late for that now.

17. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

Its only bad news if your shortsighted in your views and if the player that falls to 14 turns out to be a transformative player for the Rockets.

If the Rockets miss out on the playoffs, they will end up with the 14th pick in the draft almost for certain. If they loose the pick, they still have to give up their pick next year if they do make the playoffs, and the year after that, and so on.

Since the Rockets already have the Knicks pick which will most likely be 15 through 17, theres a good chance that the same quality player at 14 will be there at 15 or 16. If the Rockets get two players in that player quality range, there is a good chance one or more of those players will never have a shot at getting playing time next season.

If your a fan of developing the end of the bench with players then I guess two players are better than one, but IMO, I would rather them get rid of their pick obligation to New Jersey this year, since they already have another pick in the same player quality range, and have better pick flexibility going forward.

-If a high gamble player like Perry Jones III falls to 14 and the Rockets miss out on him at 15, and he goes on to explode in the NBA I will have wished the Rockets wouldnt have made the playoffs. That being said, if a player falls that far in the draft, there usually are good reasons for that to have happened. In a draft like this one, its possible, but highly unlikely.

Give me the playoffs & the Knicks pick to remove the draft obligation going forward.

18. arjun

arjun Member

or...we could trade our current lottery pick if we get it..on draft night.....

19. arjun

arjun Member

there have been many good players in the past taken at around 14...if by CHANCE perry jones III falls to us..we'd be r****ded not to take him and see what happens.

20. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

I hope we don't lose that #14 pick. I'm counting on hitting the jackpot and getting the 1st pick in the lottery so we can draft a savior.

I really need the good news too. I just lost my house because I used my mortgage money to buy a bunch of lottery tickets for the mega-millions drawing. I thought I bought enough tickets to put the odds in my favor, but somehow it didn't work out.