1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Bad news for us out of town Astros fans

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by RocketManJosh, Jan 29, 2007.

1. RocketManJosh

RocketManJosh Contributing Member

... Unless you have DirecTV

I don't have ESPN Insider access, but just reading the "teaser" was enough for me. Looks like MLB Extra Innings is going the way of NFL Sunday Ticket where it will only be available via DirecTV. I'm really hoping this doesn't affect getting the games live on MLB.TV online, but somehow I don't see DirecTV letting that slip through the cracks.

http://insider.espn.go.com/espn/blo...espn.go.com/espn/blog/index?name=stark_jayson

2. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

They've been talking about this for a while. It's a HUGE mistake on the part of MLB. Do they really think a large number of subscribers will make the difficult transition to satellite? I sure as hell wouldn't (I live in Austin and don't have to worry about it). This will be a miserable faliure, IMO.

3. updawg

updawg Member

thats a bad idea by MLB. They are no NFL right now, not a good idea. Hopefully this won't change the Austin games

4. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Hmm... will be something to consider when I move in July.

But, I agree with Stark... its one thing for the NFL to do it because its always been that way (its NEVER been on cable/dish network). But, over half of the extra inning subscribers were on cable last year.

Maybe MLB is doing it because extra innings was never that big of a seller, and with the mlb.tv venture, more people were flocking to that... so they wanted to get at least something for their product from a pay tv network.

That makes me think that mlb.tv (which is owned, operated, and all profits go directly to MLB) is here to stay... can't imagine why MLB would give that up.

5. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

Shouldn't, as we're considered part of the local network. That could change, though. I was real worried when the Marlins were talking about moving to SA. That would have been the end of the Astros and Rangers in Austin.

6. redefined

redefined Contributing Member

Isn't there a way just to get FSN SW. You won't even need to get Houston. I live in Dallas and most all the Astros are shown on FSN SW.

7. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

It's why I love living in CS. All the Rockets games and Stros games.

8. rrj_gamz

rrj_gamz Contributing Member

This is why I hate living in Dallas...All the Mavs games and Ranger games... :(

On a serious note, this does suck...I mean MLB is no NFL...

9. LonghornFan

LonghornFan Contributing Member

This is a ****ing HUGE mistake and it seriously pisses me off to no end. That's the one package I look forward to purchasing every year.

Damn idiots. :mad:

10. Storm Surge

Storm Surge Rookie

well that's why you have to switch to DirecTv now

11. kaleidosky

kaleidosky Your Tweety Bird dance just cost us a run

i really hope mlb.tv doesn't go away.. or go the way of nba league pass, where you have to buy the TV package to get the internet version

12. desihooper

desihooper Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

If you live in Dallas outside of whatever perimeter that MLB assigns around Ameriquest and have DirecTv you can catch most Astros games on FSNH (FSN Houston).

Too bad the Mavs don't move to Arlington as well, that way maybe I could watch the Rox games on FSNH too :-(

Oh well, at least there's still the Slingbox for Rockets games. Anyone know if NBA League Pass allows us to view Rockets games in DFW?

13. RocketManJosh

RocketManJosh Contributing Member

Yeah I use a slingbox for all my old local programming since I am now in CA ... I really enjoyed being able to watch the Stros on my large TV though and with much better quality.

Until I own a house, there is no way I am paying to get DirecTV hooked up only to have the hassle of moving it all later (even though they move it for you, it is still a huge hassle).

14. Glish21

Glish21 Member

HaHa, no kidding. Very nice to get Rocket and Astros on TV

15. HillBoy

HillBoy Contributing Member

Last time I looked, the MLB package on Directv considered Dallas as a local area to Houston and blacked out a number of Astro home games. That's why I stopped buying the MLB package.

16. texanskan

texanskan Contributing Member

that is stupid, I know the Astros are very popular up there but still local?

17. LonghornFan

LonghornFan Contributing Member

I'm in Houston and had the MLB package with Time Warner last year. They also blacked out all Ranger games here unless they were on the road. I never understood the reasoning for it?

18. texanskan

texanskan Contributing Member

Not like you missed anything

19. HillBoy

HillBoy Contributing Member

That's true but what we're saying is that Directv's MLB package considers all of Texas the home area for both the Rangers and the Astros. So if I'm in Dallas and want to watch Astro home games I'm SOOL because Directv will black them out even though I'm in another part of the state and not Houston. It's the same thing if I'm in Houston and want to watch Rangers home games. It sort of defeats the purpose of buying the MLB package to see Astros games. The other poster was correct in that a goodly number of Astro home games do wind up on Fox Sports Southwest (ch. 643) but not all.

20. mateo

mateo Contributing Member

I'm hearing this isnt a done deal.

I hope not, bc while New York sportsbars are widely superior from their lack of smoke :D , they have those crap Mets on all the time. Besides I love MLB Season Pass bc I get to see Whataburger ads.