1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Backup SG..

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Da Wink, Jun 30, 2008.

1. JOHNNYN

JOHNNYN Member

gerald green. he's worth a shot, we can sign him for cheap and im sure his worth ethic has somewhat improved working with john lucas

2. Desert Scar

Desert Scar Contributing Member

This is my top choice.

This is possibly a good value choice if we want to split our MLE.

URFA order of interest...
    Pietrus
    Posey
    Mo Evans
    --much prefer above 3, the others I only look at later in FA---
    Barry
    Ricky Davis (much more potential character/chemistry issues than the above)
    Giricek
    Finley

RFA order of interest
    JR Smith
    Sasha
    Delfino (but only if Scola is unequivocally positive about him)
    Azubuike

Hayes, Jones, Boki and Barnes seem too much of SFs, and we really need more of a big true SG. I do like Barnes versatity and mind of the game though--I'd take him.

In summary....

I'd make a run at Pietrus, than Posey, than Evans, than Barnes. It all depends on value, the only one IMO worth close to a full MLE for full years is Pietrus. Posey is fine at the max MLE per year if it only 2 or 3 years (though I assume he stays with Boston to defend the title), Evans and Barnes are worth about 1/2 the MLE.

If none of these come together, I might go for a restricted using all (Smith), most (Sasha) or some (Delfino/Az) of the MLE.

Then if none of the above worked out I scramble among the older vets/Davis with Barry as the 1st choice.

3. W22_STREAK

W22_STREAK Member

CJ Miles...who else

4. W22_STREAK

W22_STREAK Member

we should also try to pluck JR Smith away from the Nuggets. They let Steve Blake go, and are now deep into luxury tax, thats why they traded their draft pick. If we offer JR Smith something near the MLE then theres a good chance they won't match. We can do a S&T with them if we have to.

oh did I mention CJ Miles?

5. faraza84

faraza84 Member

id go for jr smith, hes proven that he is solid at 12ppg and can definately explode some nights, hes atheletic and we could do sign and trade by giving bjax and francis because the nuggets really want a pg and both of our back ups are better then their starters.

6. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

Your list is nice. I didn't want to change the topic, but what do you think about going for Duhon as a backup PG?

He isn't an ideal player for our half court game but I feel he can fit in despite his inconsistent 3 point shooting.He is young,strongly built,a good defender even if he is around 6'1" and has some playoff experience.

7. Desert Scar

I missed Miles, I would have him somewhere after JR and Sasha off the restricted list, it would be hard to outbid Utah though.

On Duhon. Troubling shooting %s and limited offensive game. I just don't want a guard or wing who you can cheat off of, and I don't see an upgrade over Rafer/Brooks/Jackson (Rafer and Jackson can both D up too).

Overall there are a lot more swingmen that I think can help us than PGs, and he come for greater value because of less scarcity.

8. Jeff Who

Jeff Who Member

Brent Barry, of course if he accepts the deal Rockets gave him.

He would be a lot better version of Luther Head, he is a veteran and and knows how to play.

BTW, we can giva a shot at Green, he at least can attack the basket.

9. tiger0330

tiger0330 Contributing Member

donte green backing up battier?? nice of you giving him a spot on the roster without him playing one minute.

10. Rookie34

Rookie34 Member

How about Kareem Rush? He is UFA ...

11. leebigez

leebigez Contributing Member

DesertScar, good breakdown! I think some guys miss the point,not u of course is this. In the playoffs, u have to have players that can get their own shot. That's why u see guys like barry who avg 5ppg in the playoffs. If ur no threat to break a guy down and get to the rack or scoring position, teams run u off the spot. So when I look at guys, I put a higher priority on a guy like Davis, Smith, Barnes, or Pietrus( maybe) over others. I know come hell or high water that a guy like Davis or Smith won't allow a guy to close out reckelessly because they don't fear the dribble drive. I also see 2 guys that have had maturity issues, but 40% 3pt fg guys also. I just think that guy has to be fearless and a creator for himself with some size.

12. rterry

rterry Contributing Member

You guys are day-dreaming. We are trying to sign Brent Barry as a situational shooter off the bench (ala Jon Barry of old) for the LLE. Landry is going to take most, if not all, of our MLE. We are then out of FA money. We can't afford Posey, Pietrus or anybody else better than Barry. If we get a legit backup at Swing (sg/sf) or Pg it will be through trades. That's pretty much what Morey has said and any logical objective basketball fan should see that.
    I also think that if you make our current starting five untouchable, we have little to nothing to offer and Morey will be patient and wait for the trade deadline when teams become more desperate to un-load multi-year contracts for expirings.

13. Pete the Cheat

you really need to get off Davis' jock. the guy is a career loser and mental midget. do you think it is a mere coiencidence that with all that talent, everywhere he goes it has a negative effect on W/L?

some guys play to win, some play for points/glory, and some just pay to get paid. I would say Davis falls under the last category.

14. Desert Scar

Landry better not take most or all of the MLE, that is the kind of day dreaming hopefully only he and his agent are doing. And, if a choice, I'd much rather have a full MLE go to Pietrus and lose Landry than miss Pietrus.

And if Pietrus or Posey are out of the running (I think Posey is close to a no chancer, surely he and Boston like that situation), split the MLE with Evans/Barnes (60%) + Landry (40%) and sign Barry for the LLE.

I do agree Barry is about as good as we can do for the LLE.

15. Desert Scar

I don't think the guy has to create his own shot. Battier doesn't, Bowen doesn't, Posey doesn't, Horry never did. An excellent defender, solid open shooter, and guy with a brain and team focus--that is the kind of back-up SG I want. Creativity and multi-threat offensive player is a bonus, but not necc.

And if I am choosing between creativity (Davis) or brain/defense (Posey), I go with the latter.

16. jump shooter

jump shooter Contributing Member

I agree, the PG or SG/SF will come in a trade and be the splash the rocket fans are looking for. Going after Barry and Horry is setting up the ground work for that trade to happen. Head, Hayes and Novak in conjuction with the rockets expiring contracts could all be part of some very big trade while trying to keep the rockets core intact.

17. leebigez

leebigez Contributing Member

So elton brand is a loser? What about Mitch Richmond? What was the rox record when mcgrady was out for the 05 season? U can label a guy a loser, but think about situation and circumstances. U think Horry was the reason why the spurs,rox, and lakers won or was he smartenough to know to play with 3 of the greatest pivots to ever play in the nba? U remember Horry in phoenix don't u?

Point is, this team needs a guy that don't need Yao or Tracy to get a shot. The main reason why tracy has been run into the ground is because every guy except for yao 70% of the tim needs tracy to get them a good shot. That's just the facts.

18. rterry

rterry Contributing Member

I hope you're right about Landry's contract. I would love to have both Pietrus and Landry and would consider that along with our draft a successful off-season. We could then use expirings and draft picks at the deadline to seal the deal. Posey is a dream. I don't value Pietrus more than Landry. I think Landry, if not hurt, has great potential and is already a viable backup PF.