1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Backup guard Position what do we really need?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by okierock, Jul 19, 2002.

1. okierock

okierock Contributing Member

SPL play has given us a look at Tito and Brown in simular situations I would like to hear what everybody thinks about what has been said by our own "scouts". What I am really looking for is opinions on what skills each player brings relative to their development and the needs of the Rockets.

Keep in mind that Brown was playing and practicing in the NBA last year with a lot of the guys that are on this summer league team. Tito was regreting his poor desicions and playing with the guys at the local YMCA.

Here's my take.

The reports from the SPL show that Tierre is far and away the better offensive player more polished at scoring and more comfortable running the system. I am not overly impressed by this as these are all a product of being a part of the system for a year. Tierre didn’t look so hot last year in the SPL either.

Tito on the other hand is not comfortable with the system or the NBA shot clock/8 sec. rule which are all new to him. The impression I get from our scouts is that he is really looking to involve the other players, runs the break well, and plays strong 1 on 1 defense. His shot is not good but he can get to the basket and I think that spot up jump shooting is one of the skills that can really improve over time.

Bottom line IMHO is what skills are going provide the most impact off the bench.

Tierre could provide some “instant offense” off the bench if his shot is falling and the opposing NBA caliber guard plays SPL defense on him. Tierre really didn’t show this ability last season. I personally don’t like the idea of our third string guard coming in and jacking up shots, I feel this can destroy any offensive continuity that we might already have. Another drawback to Tierre is his size and defense, he is going to be a liability on defense in almost every situation. This means that even if he is playing against the opposing second team they may still be able to provide some scoring.

Tito is 6’4” tall likes to pass the ball and play defense. I like this kind of player off the bench. On offense he can give Steve a rest while possibly getting one of our 4 or 5 other capable scoring options involved without stealing shots from players that I would prefer to shoot the ball anyway. He runs the break well which can provide “instant offense” in itself and defense starts the break anyway so improving defense will improve our number of fast break opportunities. Also his size and defense might allow him to spell Cat at times as well I don’t think we are going to have problems scoring, so as long as he can cover his man and slash a little he could give Cat 5 to 10 mins. he and there.

Bottom line is everything I’ve heard from the summer league makes me like Tito over Tierre.

Let the punishment begin.

And thanks again to our scouts Clutch, DOD, & LA’s #1 Rockets Fan

2. LAfadeaway33

LAfadeaway33 Member

I'm actually with you all the way on that. I think Tito will be very good in the league some day and is the one we should keep right now.

3. Bogey

Bogey Contributing Member

If we could somehow dump Moochie and his overvalued contract, I would prefer to keep both Tierre and Tito. It sounds like they both push the ball up the court and provide a 'spark' off the bench, which is what a backup point gaurd is supposed to do, unlike Moochie who walks the ball up the court far too often.

4. off_welfare

off_welfare Member

Who cares???!?! The Mooch makes the shots when we need them!:p

5. Bogey

Bogey Contributing Member

Honestly, I wish Francis and Mobley would take charge late in games, Moochie shouldn't even be on the floor then.

6. okierock

okierock Contributing Member

I appreciate your well thought out insight into which one of our SPL guards would provide the most benefit to the Rockets in the future.:rolleyes:

Could one of the SPL scouts tell me what their take on Tierre VS Tito is.

7. rockets#1

rockets#1 Member

I agree! Let's rid ourselves of this Matt Maloney type contract and let's sign both of these young guards at or close to the minimum.

If that is not possible, I say take the best defensive player of the two, which appears to Tito.

8. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

i dont think we will keep both.

its all in the sig.