1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Backup bigman

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by MultipleSauces, Nov 16, 2023.

?

Best option for backup bigman?

1. Landale and boban

12 vote(s)
    9.4%
  2. Capela

63 vote(s)
    49.2%
  3. Daniel gafford

10 vote(s)
    7.8%
  4. Javale mcgee

12 vote(s)
    9.4%
  5. Garuba

4 vote(s)
    3.1%
  6. Someone else

27 vote(s)
    21.1%
  1. Rokman

Rokman Member

He used to add a good amount of points to my fantasy team. . . . 3 years ago. . . . Damn, time has flown.

2. Russjr2

Russjr2 Contributing Member

I think they will give him until the trade deadline to see if he has found his footing by then. If we are still playing well and in the playoff hunt, I could see them going after a new backup C to keep us in the hunt. With his injuries in the offseason it really hampered his opportunity to get in work on his game coming into the year. Im not ready to give up on him yet. I don't expect him to be a big time scorer or anything like that. He is a hustle, physical type player that brings energy.

3. Losmi_34

Losmi_34 Member

We don't need a world beater at backup C, just someone that can set good screens, be physical and imposing on the glass and do some dirty work (and not have stone hands).

Jock IMO has been hugely dissapointing so far. Maybe it's the injuries, or a mental issue, but there isn't a single positive thing to say about his play this season. He doesn't run the floor well, can't catch a pass, can't set a good screen, can't rebound, score. We always lose in his minutes. Luckily his contract is only guaranteed for this season, so he should be moved easily.

As for our hypothetical next backup C, I voted for Clint. I don't know how realistic it is to get him, but I always loved how Clint played for us, and I think he would solidify our rotation and make us a serious threat for an outright playoff berth.

MultipleSauces and charlieaustin like this.
  4. Hank McDowell

Hank McDowell Member

Yeah, I agree. I'd give him the year unless he's just not a fit. He has two years of the NBA to look at, but there is also his international play, and even his last couple of years in college you could go back to, and none of that looks anything like what he is doing right now. He's a mess and I don't know why.

MultipleSauces likes this.
  5. prs325

prs325 Member

We can trade him on 12/15 at the earliest

6. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

It wouldn't hurt us.

7. MultipleSauces

I was really excited this offseason with the veterans stone signed, and they all are playing above our expectations, except jock. I thought he was an underrated signing , and he was giving phoenix good minutes. I think he is still injured playing at like 75-80% capacity , and I do believe he will round into form in the next few months. You guys have suggested a lot of different players that I hadn’t considered , and I think we can all agree that our roster is lacking the shot blocking rim runner defensive archetype. At the very least it gives coach ime a different option, and some big man insurance if any of our bigs gets injured . Uncle Jeff still has a lot left in the tank and I suppose we will have to rely on him for now. The Chicago bulls seem to have a fire sale going on, do they have any bigs we could poach? I don’t think any teams in our conference will do a deal with us

Y2JT likes this.
  8. raining threes

Try to trade for Jericho Sims.

What's Deadmon up to these days?

9. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

Lot of people seem to buy the idea that he's got some lingering injury issue .... That may or may not be true but one thing I know is that he sucks as a shooter from damn near anywhere on the court and that isn't really something that I would blame on an injury.

Some of the other things maybe .... but not shooting, not when he's always been a statistically poor shooter.
    He's just been worse than normal so far this year. According to NBA.com shooting dashboard he takes a full 45.5% of his shots with no defender nearby and is shooting a whopping .318 from the field (.222 from distance).
    Not only has he been a piss poor shooter but he can't defend, doesn't rebound well and doesn't set very good picks .... he's just been all around bad.

I really think Stone built that contract to be a trade chip and there was never a moment where he saw that contract remaining on this roster beyond this year.
    Very similar in concept to the one that Morey tried to give Nene a few years back that the league wouldn't allow .... it just wasn't so blatantly obvious and Stone got away with it.
    Landale looked like a veteran minimum type from the word go - Stone paid him a premium to accept the "one year term" of the contract and it also gives Stone salary to maneuver via trade.

Let's just hope he can combine that $8m with some of the other dead weight and bring back a player who can actually contribute to winning.

MultipleSauces, jim1961 and Y2JT like this.
  10. jim1961

jim1961 Member

Adding another shooter, defender or bolstering the center depth behind Alperen Sengun makes the most sense in any deal.

The perpetually middle-of-the-road Chicago Bulls immediately come to mind, as it’s time for them to blow it up. Alex Caruso may very well become the prize of the midseason trade market, but unfortunately for the Rockets, his price tag will likely be too high.

An actual target on Chicago is Andre Drummond, as he only costs $3.3 million. At the very least, he would provide Houston elite rebounding.

Moving to the Western Conference, I’d still be on board to land Kelly Olynyk in a trade with the Utah Jazz. Utah could open up more playing time for some of their younger bigs with KO out of the way. His combination of shooting, passing and size aids the Rockets in multiples categories should they reacquire him.

One last player that I think could be a decent pickup is Otto Porter Jr. with the Toronto Raptors. Toronto fans have likely been underwhelmed with his lack of production — and availability — after he was a key reserve for the Golden State Warriors during their 2022 finals run. When healthy, he provides length on the wing and is a 39.8 percent shooter from three for his career.

https://www.thedreamshake.com/2023/...aruso-james-wiseman-black-friday-cyber-monday

MultipleSauces, robbie380 and OremLK like this.
  11. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Stone isn't this rigid. He signed that contract so it could be tradeable, but also to be fine to be kept if Landale played well and a trade didn't materialize that included Landale.

12. OremLK

OremLK Member

I'm good with Olynyk or Drummond. Two very different players, but both an upgrade over Jock, both solid veterans, and both are types of players we don't really have on the roster.

MultipleSauces and jim1961 like this.
  13. Risingred

Risingred Member

We should also take a good look at DeAndre Jordan. His stats line yesterday - 21 pts 13 rbs 5 asts against the Clips.

14. shakes05

shakes05 Rookie

Detroit is struggling bad right now...would it make sense for Monty Williams to try getting some of his former Suns players to help improve his system??? Landale for Wiseman - yall thank me later

15. jim1961

jim1961 Member

[​IMG]

16. jim1961

jim1961 Member

Looks like he may be valuable to them.
    Why would they trade him?

17. Risingred

Risingred Member

There are thousand of reasons. For one, the right returns they could get. We probably don't want to give up that much for him, but he's an option, just to say.

18. prs325

prs325 Member

Did the Rachaun Holmes audition went well tonight?
    Just asking for a friend

19. jim1961

jim1961 Member

A thousand you say :rolleyes:

20. RocketsFido

RocketsFido Member

Capela is not the answer. When Amen comes back, there will be zero spacing if two guys can't shoot from the 3.