1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Backup bigman

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by MultipleSauces, Nov 16, 2023.

?

Best option for backup bigman?

1. Landale and boban

12 vote(s)
    9.4%
  2. Capela

63 vote(s)
    49.2%
  3. Daniel gafford

10 vote(s)
    7.8%
  4. Javale mcgee

12 vote(s)
    9.4%
  5. Garuba

4 vote(s)
    3.1%
  6. Someone else

27 vote(s)
    21.1%
  1. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

I'm still holding out hope on Landale, I don't think we've seen his final form. Hopefully he's back to 100% soon and we can see what he brings.

MultipleSauces likes this.
  2. Francis3422

Francis3422 Member

Hartenstein
    Gafford
    Paul Reed

All options I like.

MultipleSauces and Aruba77 like this.
  3. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

Nah, $20m per year for 2 seasons is a waste of money and they will not give him up without picks. Prior to the season I would have considered it, but seeing Sengun's defensive development has made this a much smaller priority.

Just need to sign a shot blocker for the minimum as an alternative to Landale. There are going to be 16-18 minutes available behind Sengun and we will sometimes go small too. That means on average there will be roughly 10-12 minutes available. It would be absurd to invest anything significant in that.

I'd rather upgrade the backup SG or PF position with a scorer for the bench. Bullock is the only player that doesn't seem bought in and Amen will need weeks of practice/games just to get back to square one (what we saw at the start of the season). We need an easy 18-20 points off the bench because our bench is excellent except need someone who can forced the defense to collapse a bit more. Starters have been doing great.

AlperenSengun and MultipleSauces like this.
  4. roslolian

roslolian Member

At this point I'm OK with Bruno Fernando. Landale has been a massive disappointment I dunno whats up with him he always looks like he just woke up from a long nap and moves like he's in a different timezone from everyone else on the court. He played 4 mins and got 1 freaking rebound... Bro can't shoot, can't defend, can't catch passes and now can't even rebound? His other brokemate Bollocks got 4 rebs in 7 mins wtf.

Backup C is clearly are weakest link right now Landale can't be dropped until the deadline but at the very least Udoka should start reducing Jabari's mins at PF and make him the backup C instead of Jeff Green or Tate.

5. Hank McDowell

Hank McDowell Member

I'm not seeing anything at all from Landale. He must still be recovering from injury or something because there's no way he's actually as worthless as he has looked out there so far.

Bo6, jim1961, RudyTBag and 2 others like this.
  6. Mathloom

Supporting Member

Yeah just watch his games last season, he was quite a good backup. That's what he can bring, nothing special just does a professional high-effort unselfish job. No reason we shouldn't expect that from him. No reason to expect miracles.

He's just not running well and judging by Udoka pushing Sengun to play on a bum ankle I bet we rushed Landale back sooner than we should have.

Hank McDowell likes this.
  7. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

Looking at the draft and where the Brooklyn pick is likely to land (late lottery), I don't think I give up assets for a backup big, I probably wait for the draft and maybe use those assets elsewhere. (I'm looking at you Shooting Guard).

I know we don't have any shot at Sarr or Buzelis but there's about 5 more bigs who should go between 11- 20.

7'2" Donovan Clingan UConn
    7'3" Aday Mara UCLA
    6'11" Kyle Filipowski Duke
    7'0" Kel'el Ware Indiana
    6'10" Adem Bona UCLA

Of those, I really like Mara. Slick passer, good lob threat, very solid defender, good pick and pop shooter.
    Might even be able to play the 4 spot if he can extend his range.

And at least one more who could sneak into the first round -
    7'0" Aaron Bradshaw Kentucky

#47 Corrosion, Nov 22, 2023
    Last edited: Nov 22, 2023
    BaselineFade likes this.
  8. jim1961

jim1961 Member

Thanks for a peek ahead, but I want help THIS YEAR.

CARPE DIEM.

9. Bo6

Bo6 Member

i defended landale for a little but man he has been awful. can't even catch a pass and seems like he tries his best sengun impression whenever he is on the floor.

what would we need to giveup to have Capela homecoming?

10. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

I agree with this. We need a scorer at SG or SF off the bench and all would be good in the world. When Amen gets back, we will already have a helluva defensive backup unit with Amen, Tate, and Tari. I don’t know who is available that would fill the role and be ok with coming off the bench.

Mathloom likes this.
  11. jim1961

jim1961 Member

Have you looked at the Rockets +/- when Alpi isnt on the floor?

That tells me that having an adequate backup IS our priority.

12. invocux

invocux Member

The most mind boggling thing is that everybody knew Landale wasn't a rim protector. This dude averages 0.3 blocks per game. FVV averages 0.4. What were they thinking? If he was a giraffe he would die in 1 week in the willd. He wouldn't be able to eat leaves. Giraffes normally have dexterous tongues he would probably fumble at every attempt to touch leaves, eventually get tired, faint from hunger..A passing lion would eat him while he was unconscious. He would be the easiest food ever for that lion. Like an open dunk.

#52 invocux, Nov 22, 2023
    Last edited: Nov 22, 2023
  13. jim1961

jim1961 Member

Actually, they were thinking Brook Lopez.
    But he has been off this year so I am glad he rejected us.
    But Landale as their 2nd option is a headscratcher.

invocux likes this.
  14. Mathloom

Supporting Member

Actually what it tells you is that for the first 12 games of the season Sengun with his rotation teammates is much better than Landale with his rotation. Importantly, Landale's crew have been horrible with or without him. Also important that Landale recently had a serious injury and has looked better at every other stop in his career.

So, no, those 8-10 minutes are not a high priority because we have bigger problems than exist for longer minutes with no hope for improvement in sight.

15. jim1961

jim1961 Member

Agree to disagree.

16. invocux

invocux Member

It's like settling for a Fiat 500 after losing out on a reasonably priced Chevrolet pickup.

17. MystikArkitect

Brook Lopez looks like ass now that Jrue Holiday isn't checking guys on the perimeter. Ime understood that perimeter defenders are as important if not even more important than centers.

Jarrett Allen is a name I'd be looking at. Can probably play with Al-P and is better defensively than Lopez. Try to nab him before Cleveland realizes Donovan Mitchell is the problem.

18. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

Gafford, Bitadze, Isaac, Richards are all names I think we should look at

19. Sengun

Sengun Member

I wrote before. The most cost-effective thing right now is to bring him back here. He doesn't mind being a sub and fights as much as he can when you want to play him. He's a big guy and a deterrent at the rim. I'm not saying he's great player, but he'd give a lot more for a lot less money than Landale. At least he closes the rim, gets rebounds, and doesn't unnecessarily swing the ball. He also knows this franchise. It was a mistake to send him away from the beginning.

Someone wants Capela but Capela is plays around 25 MPG and he will not accept playing 15-16 minutes behind Sengun here. Also too luxurious. Gafford same.

Rockets should definitely bring back Bruno Fernando.

20. jim1961

jim1961 Member

In todays game, a center that doesnt stretch the defense (has an outside shot) is a detriment on the offensive end.

Capela nor Bruno have any kind of outside threat.