1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Back to school...

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Isabel, May 28, 2006.

1. Isabel

Isabel Member

To add to the people who are posting their big life changes (though this will probably be interesting, or get lost in the shuffle of people coming back from the bars at 2 a.m. on Saturday night of Memorial Day weekend) :

Isabel is going back to school for the third time. I'm going to be a music education major at UT-San Antonio this fall. I'm looking forward to finally doing something that is more of "myself" and eventually getting out of the whole science business, if I haven't already. :) I resigned my chemistry teaching position effective this month, but that had been planned for a long time.

(I know some people around here will probably think this is crazy or unproductive. Well, I tried the productive, useful thing already and look what happened. I put in my time and effort. I'm kind of glad now that there's nothing left but what I really might have wanted.)

I won't make this into a romance advice thread, but in case anyone wonders, yes, I did stay separated from Ferdinand. :)

2. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

Good for you. Hopefully, you'll put up grades worthy of being a college professor. :p

3. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

Isabel you're old news, now its all about...

moestavern19 + finalsbound.

lolz j/k, ;) good luck to you... have fun in the music world.

4. Kam

Kam Contributing Member

say hottie?

what's up?

i can almost dunk on a regulation size goal.

i sucked ass in chemistry back in high school.

5. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

More power to you Isabel.

6. Rocketfan111

Rocketfan111 Member

Isabel,

Hi, I go to UTSA as well and actually have a friend who is in the music education program. It is a fairly rigorous program from what I have been told, however, she does enjoy it. Good luck with your decision and parking at UTSA.

S.K.

7. VesceySux

VesceySux Contributing Member

[cliche] YOU GO, GIRL! [/cliche]

8. Mr. Brightside

Mr. Brightside Contributing Member

remember school comes first, and partying is second. :)

9. Mack

Mack Contributing Member

Congrats Isabel, I know how miserable it can be doing something you don't really have the heart for. It's time to make yourself happy.

On a personal side note, I defended my dissertation and will have my PhD in August. Maybe we should go back to Manny's "Are you happy?" thread and post updates.

10. scv_rockets

scv_rockets Member

Congratulations, Isabel!
    Glad to hear there's a music education major on the forums! Since you're doing music ed, which area are you most familiar with--Band, Choir or Orchestra?

I'm a music buff (in the band division) myself.
    =)

11. Batman Jones

Batman Jones Contributing Member

"Got the message this morning, the one that was sent to me, 'bout the madness of becoming what one was never meant to be." - Bob Dylan

Congratulations, Isabel.

12. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

Congrats, Izzy. What do you want to teach? Secondary? Middle School? Elementary? I'm glad you finally decided to actually do it.

I sometimes wonder if I made the right decision 10 years ago when I decided not to teach music even though that's what my degree was in. I like my job, but it's not something I'm passionate about, like music. If I wasn't playing in a band and had no other creative outlet, I probably would have committed mass murder by now.

I don't know how much longer my job is going to exist and, since it's been 10 years since I graduated, I would probably have to go back to school if I decided to teach again. So I'm stuck between a rock and hard place.

13. A-Train

A-Train Contributing Member

So, how long till we see a mug shot of Isabel in the latest teacher/student sex scandal? ;)

14. finalsbound

finalsbound Contributing Member

Sigh, I love UTSA. All my closest friends go there. I was thinking about transferring there, actually, but the fact that I'd have to put up with Spurs fans every day totally ruined it. :(

15. Isabel

Isabel Member

Thanks everyone (and congratulations to Mack on the upcoming Ph.D.)! Wow, I didn't know there was anyone with UTSA ties on this board. I may not be able to hide as well as I have in the past. :)

Right now I'm in band division... percussion is my principal instrument... aiming toward secondary instrumental education, kind of like ima_drummer2k once upon a time. While it's a little scary to imagine teaching a whole band full of kids at this point, I always did want to pursue my music further and I figure it's one step at a time. As I get further into my curriculum I will know whether this is what I want to do or if I want to take it in a different direction. My mother thinks I should be a performance major (maybe even piano instead of percussion) because I like to perform, but I'd much rather do something that prepares you for an actual career. And I've taught other things in the past, though to older students. It will just be nice to finally be able to do this after so many years of wondering what could have been.

The high school ones are a little young even for me. ;) Maybe you should have been more worried when I was teaching college - after all, those are technically legal. :) Just kidding of course. Now I get to be one of the college students - no teacher/student conflict there :) - and hopefully by the time I'm done with this, and maybe another Master's degree, I'll be more of an actual grown-up.

And I do love school. I like "rigorous". (survived, barely, a science curriculum at Rice way back when; nothing else scares me) I'm promising myself to practice everything, lots, way in advance, not procrastinate, and settle for nothing less than straight A's and being the best. Hopefully at least some of that will hold up.