1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Baby Born In Bay Area With 12 Functioning Fingers, 12 Toes

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by shastarocket, Feb 5, 2009.

1. shastarocket

shastarocket Member

A Daly City couple is beaming after becoming the proud parents of a healthy but incredibly rare baby boy this month.

Baby Kamani Hubbard has six-fully formed and functional fingers and toes on his hands and feet. It's called "polydactyly" -- extra digits -- not an uncommon genetic trait, but Bay Area doctors say they've never seen a case so remarkable.

Born at San Francisco's Saint Luke's Hospital three weeks ago, Hubbarb seemed so perfect at birth no one noticed.

"Nurses and doctors, looked so normal they couldn't tell, they told me he was six pounds in good health, that was all they said," said Miryoki Gross, Hubbard’s mother.

But his dad Kris Hubbard noticed this spectacularly rare case of polydactyly: 6-perfect fingers on each hand and six perfect toes on each foot, which went well beyond a general trait that runs in his family.

"Some family member have had six fingers, not completely developed. But not the toes," said the 34-year-old Hubbard, a postal worker.

In fact Hubbard himself had nubs of sixth fingers removed as a child as these non-functional digits routinely are.

But baby Hubbard's case is so astonishingly rare according to doctors, and because the extra digits are functional, it's not a deformity to be discarded.

"It's merely an interesting and beautiful variation rather than a worrisome thing," said Dr. Michael Treece and St. Luke's Hospital Pediatrician. "I would be tempted to leave those fingers in place. I realize children would tease each other over the slightest things, and having extra digits on each hand is more than slight. But imagine what sort of a pianist a 12-fingered person would be. Imagine what sort of a flamenco guitarist. If nothing else, think of their typing skills."

Kamani's mother says she hasn't had time to absorb this; her baby's specialness didn't even show up on prenatal ultrasounds.

"I heard nothing before I gave birth so I'm still in shock, kinda," said Gross.

"I just want him to see what greatness will be in store for him," said the baby's proud father.

The Florida Marlins' pitcher Antonio Alfonseca, blues guitarist Hound Dog Taylor and several remarkable figures in history have had polydactyly.

This little guy may, at the very least, help others grasp the importance of embracing difference.

http://www.ktvu.com/news/18608582/detail.html#

Must be something in the water...

2. pirc1

pirc1 Member

3. shastarocket

shastarocket Member

4. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Member

Pics, mo' fo'... pics... we got the three-armed Indian kid, so why not this one? :eek:

:( Here's hoping a GLOVE company can step up to the plate and donate some stuff for the little tyke.

I kid on all counts.

Cue the Simpsons' "Ewww... freak show..." quotes.

5. BetterThanEver

Morey should keep tabs on him. He could be our future PG. He's gonna have crazy handles.

6. IROC it

IROC it Member

^He could make up for the moment or two that GG was on the squad.

And that kid could be awesome on a 12 string guitar.

7. pradaxpimp

pradaxpimp Member

This kid is going to be in the remake of Gattaca.

8. Hayesfan

Hayesfan Member

Did anyone else do a double take when they read the father's last name... is Gross??

lol (I really wish I didn't laugh at that, but I did)

9. baller4life315

That's kind of creepy but i'm glad he's healthy....

10. thunderclap

thunderclap Member

This child will become the father of a base-12 civlization.

11. Wakko67

Wakko67 Member

That kid will be a shredding God on guitar!!! :eek:

12. Cannonball

Cannonball Member

Buying gloves is going to be a b****.

13. Hmm

Hmm Member

small potatoes..

but my god.. i am temporarily envious..

14. London'sBurning

I don't think this is all that uncommon. Wasn't there a baseball player that was a pitcher that had six fingers? I believe he was a closer for the Cubs at one time.

If I remember it correctly it's hereditary trait among Dominicans.

15. Hmm

Hmm Member

Antonio Alfonseca..?

he only had one extra digit on one of his hands if I remember correctly..

16. Hmm

Hmm Member

no actually.. i was wrong.. he had one extra digit on each hand and foot..

17. Hmm

Hmm Member

i don't recall if they were functional though..

18. kaleidosky

kaleidosky Your Tweety Bird dance just cost us a run

what a badass. i'd be pumped if that was my kid.. pretty much for pitching potential, and for music

19. professorjay

professorjay Member

What happens when he wants to give the finger to someone? Will he give a double middle finger? Is that the next step in human evolution?

20. 3814

3814 Member

I like this kid.

*HIGH SIX*