1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

B.S. Report with Zach Lowe 3/3/14

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by jordnnnn, Mar 3, 2014.

1. RocketsJumer

RocketsJumer Member

Melo would make the Bulls dangerous, no doubt. If the Bulls can keep their defensive mentality while adding Melo, they are contenders even without D-Rose. When Rose went down this season, the only problem the Bulls had was that they lacked the offensive talent to keep up with teams. Noah and his passing has been a stop gap recently but its been their defense winning games. Adding one of the best scorers in the NBA is a no brainer.

But I don't think Melo goes there without knowing D-Rose is healthy or the Bulls have a plan to add another marque player if Rose can't go. It would be too much like the situation with the Knicks and Amare's bad knees. If the Rockets are a choice, I would say they are the favorites because they already have stars without health problems.

2. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

The ball moves plenty, we have the 5th rated offense, and we consistently get open looks at the basket and good shots. The ball movement complaint is just silly and is more fan created rhetoric than anything else.

The only real ways the offense improves from here is:
    1.) Hit free throws at an improved rate. Currently 69%, 2nd to last in the league.
    2.) We starting hitting all our 3s at a better rate. Currently 18th at 35%
    3.) Cut down on turnovers. Currently last in the league at 15%.

And for the record, Melo is:
    1.) 81% free throw shooter
    2.) 42% 3 point shooter
    3.) turning the ball over just 9% of the time.

I'll say it again, if you are able to cut down on Harden and Parson's minutes, allocate the departing Lin's shots and the reduced usage Harden/Parson shots attempts to Melo, the offense is going to be that much better.

1 person likes this.
  3. shastarocket

shastarocket Contributing Member

I see what a lot of you are saying about why Melo would choose us over Chicago, but I'm not so optimistic.

- Boozer would get amnestied, so they really only need to move Gibson.
    - Mirotic is as NBA ready as they get and should fill in nicely for Boozer; however he may be too expensive and could be moved for a nice cheap asset/player.
    - There are definitely a lot of questions about Rose's knee, but I think most folks would agree that Chicago has approached it as best they can (using DWade as an example, being conservative, etc.)
    - If Rose does go down, this would likely be the end of his career and allows Melo to become the face of the Bulls. In between Howard and Harden, this is much less likely in Houston.
    - As promising as our squad is, the regular season in the East is (arguably) easier than the West. The only legit competition is Indiana and Miami (if they stay together).
    - The Houston vs. Chicago thing is much too big to be ignored. Melo likes playing under the big lights and our basketball landscape simply doesn't compare.
    - Comparing team fit is a moot point. They'll find a way to make it work.
    - Thibs is arguably a top 3 coach in this league. He has found a way to not just win, but compete regularly. This kind of ability and mentality is invaluable in a coach. Regardless of how you feel about McHale, our coaching situation is a work-in-progress.

Bottom-line: something has to change on our end for Melo to prefer us over Chicago. It's an uphill battle, but It isn't like we haven't been down this road before ;)

1 person likes this.
  4. Aleron

Aleron Contributing Member

Melo doesnt care if he has the ball, he just cares that he shoots the ball. He always looks better with other stars because he becomes the final link in the chain rather than being relied upon to create for himself. For example, you'd never see melo complain that harden dribbled the air out of the ball and only gave him 4 seconds to shoot, he'd just shoot the thing and be grateful he had 20 seconds off defending.

5. roslolian

roslolian Member

What? Good luck getting Melo to play 34 mins and only take 14 shot attempts. Plus what about the spacing? Melo's best in the post, and both HnH already play there. You'll have Harden wasting his talent and becoming a spot up shooter, or you'll turn Melo into mid-range shooter...something the opponent likes and we don't.

6. Fullcourt

Fullcourt Contributing Member

Possibly, but if recent history has taught us anything, it's that to NBA players:

Star Power >>>> Absolutely anything else

A healthy Dwight/Harden is a much more attractive package than a twice crippled DRose. Making assumptions about Melo's aspirations and attitude about his role based on the media's portrayal of him isn't very helpful. The new craze sweeping the league is to make super teams. He is the one star in the 04 draft class that didn't get to join in on the 2010 free agent bonanza, and I'm sure he hates that he's the only that didn't get a ring. His draftmates wrote the blueprint, we'll see if he tries to follow suit.

#26 Fullcourt, Mar 3, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 3, 2014
    2 people like this.
  7. splendidchen

splendidchen Member

Just wondering, are you guys taking into account of Melo's salary?
    Looking at our payroll, I think we can possibly afford a Kevin Love at $16M/year, but Melo's Max contract for next year is at $23M/year. Big difference. I'm sure some team will offer him that money, and I doubt he takes any significant discount.

8. basketballholic

I bet Melo would take a contract starting at around $20 million and we could possibly create that by trading away Asik/Lin/Jones/DMo into other teams' cap space. $20 million here is more than $23 million in NY City with the state and city taxes there, and crazy cost of living.

9. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

It's kind of disappointing that Harden probably won't escape his stigma as this awful defender that never tries, when that isn't really the case. He's not great, but not as bad as the media tries to make him seem.

10. Aleron

Isn't he the best above the break 3 point shooter in the nba this year? Why would a guy whose been averaging 39% from 3 in NY provide space to the midrange?

#30 Aleron, Mar 3, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 3, 2014
  11. Aleron

A playoff series or two will fix that

1 person likes this.
  12. Aleron

The Simmons curse

Noah best center in the nba, awesome team

Puts up 10/6/1 with 6 tos and loses to Brooklyn by 16

13. K-Low_4_Prez

K-Low_4_Prez Member

Simmons has started to just sound ridiculous... I thought he wasn't a talking head but he is just as bad as the rest.

14. rocketpower2

rocketpower2 Member

Starting to think Melo to Houston could really happen.

15. OlajuwonFan81

OlajuwonFan81 Member

I am also for the first time acknowledging that it could happen. Imagine if Melo plays PF in this lineup. I know it probably can't work for extended minutes but talk about spreading the floor.

16. Hakeemtheking

Hakeemtheking Member

If Melo wants to win a ring and join the next superteam, he will choose the Rockets. A starting lineup with Howard, Harden, Melo and two defensive forwards that are there to get nothing but rebounds and play D, would be tremendous.

We would threaten the 72 wins by the bulls, if everybody is healthy.

Or....

He can choose Chicago, and star next to an injury-prone pg who is fantastic when healthy, but otherwise is worthless because he can't be counted to play.

You do the math.

17. impressivegol

impressivegol Member

I thought I had heard that the Clippers were a possible landing spot for Melo.

Bulls and either one of the LA teams was all the buzz earlier in the season regarding melo. If Clips are willing and able to go after Melo, would be stuff competition for Rox.

18. shastarocket

shastarocket Contributing Member

^Clippers may be willing to "go after Melo", but in their current state, they have no effin chance

CP3 + Blake + Deandre = $49mill
    Redick + Barnes + Dudley = $14mill

They'd basically have to give up Blake, because no one is taking Redick's + Dudley's salary and Deandre's expiring isn't worth it.

19. rolyat93

rolyat93 Contributing Member

Melo is a freaking beast when someone else can put pressure on the defense and get him spot up looks. See; Olympics and when he plays with good PG's.

20. Voice of Aus

Voice of Aus Contributing Member

I think everyone forgets he has played with anouther good pg. He played with Chauncey Billups who had some good years with melo.

#40 Voice of Aus, Mar 4, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 4, 2014