1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

B/R NBA Power Rankings: Rockets Number...

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by BamBam, Jul 14, 2023.

1. J.R.

J.R. Member

https://www.nba.com/news/offseason-power-rankings-west-2023

1. Nuggets
    2. Suns
    3. Lakers
    4. Warriors
    5. Clippers
    6. Kings
    7. Grizzlies
    8. Mavericks
    9. Pelicans
    10. Timberwolves
    11. Thunder
    12. Jazz
    13. Rockets

2022-23 record: 22-60
    OffRtg: 110.5 (27) DefRtg: 118.6 (29) NetRtg: -8.1 (29) Pace: 99.7 (14)

Key addition(s): Fred VanVleet, Dillon Brooks, Jeff Green, Amen Thompson
    Key departure(s): Kenyon Martin Jr.
    Coaching change: Stephen Silas out, Ime Udoka in

Three numbers to know:

•The Rockets are the first team in 29 years (and the first team in a 30-team league) to rank in the bottom five on both ends of the floor in three straight seasons. The last team to do it was the Mavs in 1991-92, ’92-93 and ’93-94.

•They were outscored by 12.2 points per game from 3-point range, the biggest discrepancy for any team in the 44 years of the 3-point line.

•They were one of two teams — the Pelicans were the other — that ranked in the top 10 in both offensive rebounding percentage (first) and defensive rebounding percentage (ninth).

Key question: Are the young guys ready to win?

The Rockets got 61% of their 2022-23 minutes, the league’s highest rate by a healthy margin, from rookies (24%, highest) or second-year players (38%, also highest). That rate should drop dramatically, not only because Jalen Green and Alperen Sengun have graduated to their third season, but also because they’ve added vets who will play a lot.

VanVleet, Brooks and Udoka will improve the defense themselves, but Green and Sengun also need to get better on that end of the floor. Their readiness and willingness to defend may go a long way in determining how far the Rockets climb up the standings because offense may still be a struggle. VanVleet will have them more organized and Udoka will hopefully have them more disciplined, but both of the new perimeter guys are inefficient scorers. Among 155 players with at least 1,500 field goal attempts over the last three seasons, VanVleet (54.3%) and Brooks (50.7%) rank 132nd and 154th in true shooting percentage.

14. Blazers
    15. Spurs

2. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

Brooks better freaking shoot the leaset amount of shots from the starters. If PJ Tucker can focus on all the other aspects of the game then he should be able to as well.

3. BamBam

BamBam Contributing Member

I don’t care if we’re 13th in the west, I LOVE seeing the Spurs dead last!! Kiss my fat rear end Wimpy Wemby!!

Go Rockets!!!
    …….
    …….
    …….

Invisible Fan and sirjesse like this.
  4. J.R.

J.R. Member

Not a power ranking…

https://www.espn.com/nba/insider/in...ost-dysfunctional-teams-all-burning-questions

Team Turnaround: Which teams are poised to make a major move?
    Oklahoma City Thunder, with super-rookie Chet Holmgren set to make his NBA debut, joining 22-year-old sophomore guard Jalen Williams and, of course, Shai Gilgeous-Alexander, an All-NBA first-teamer at the ripe old age of 25.

Then we have the Dallas Mavericks, set to debut a full season of their superstar duo of Luka Doncic and Kyrie Irving, who signed a three-year, $126 million deal to stay in Dallas.

1. Oklahoma City Thunder: 49 points (32% of first-place votes)
    2. Dallas Mavericks: 29 points
    3. Orlando Magic: 21 points
    4. San Antonio Spurs: 20 points
    5. New Orleans Pelicans: 19 points
    6. Detroit Pistons: 16 points
    T-7. Houston Rockets: 12 points
    T-7. Minnesota Timberwolves: 12 points
    8. New York Knicks: 9 points
    9. Milwaukee Bucks: 8 points
    T-10. Utah Jazz: 7 points
    T-10. Charlotte Hornets: 7 points

TimDuncanDonaut and BamBam like this.
  5. topfive

topfive CF OG

Pistons over Rockets is all I need to see to let me discount the entire list.

clos4life and Little Bit like this.
  6. MystikArkitect

Lmao Spurs at 4? Based on what?

BamBam likes this.
  7. Kevooooo

Kevooooo Member

Drafting a supposed generational talent. Though I’m skeptical Wemby will become Giannis, Durant, or Lebron.

8. BamBam

BamBam Contributing Member

I see ESPN is still using the tried and tested 209pt format...:rolleyes:

Go Rockets!!!

9. jordnnnn

jordnnnn Member

10. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

jordnnnn likes this.
  11. J.R.

J.R. Member

[​IMG]

sirjesse and i3artow i3aller like this.
  12. jordnnnn

jordnnnn Member

https://www.theringer.com/nba/2023/10/4/23902499/nba-power-rankings-preview-offseason-trades

13. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

So glad people are sleeping on us, will result in some surprise wins early on.

What a stupid analysis. I can't believe they pay people to write this and I can't believe the writers don't understand they are handing their careers over to AI by putting 0 thought and research into their work.

NO **** one of top prospects have to break out lol. Banchero shot the ball and defended worse than Jalen Green last season, so he needs to break out even more. So by the same token, if Banchero doesn't break out wtf do the Magic even have? Is Franz Wagner going to be their franchise player that we couldn't possibly compete with? lol Why are they ranked 22nd when they have fewer developed talents and far worse vets than us? You could easily argue we have a better coach too.

Anyway, this is how it's got to be if you decide to tank for 3 years. The production and assessment of all our assets is lower than it's ever been and ever going to be. Let them not take us seriously, it will work in our favor and reduce the pressure.

14. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

#74 daywalker02, Oct 5, 2023
    Last edited: Oct 5, 2023