1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

B-Ho sucks up to evangelicals, blows off gays

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by basso, Dec 18, 2008.

1. okierock

okierock Contributing Member

I think this is the biggest problem. The media elects the politician, if they don't perform up to the proper entertainment level then the media will find ways to make them entertaining. Obama is starting to see the other side of the media.

FYI... I am a big fan of the politicos shooting each other if the situation demands.

2. Landlord Landry

agreed. But you can raise a child to believe something(homosexuality) is wrong, without hating it.

3. mtbrays

mtbrays Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

What's the old adage; "love the sinner, hate the sin"? This works for things like alcoholism, drug use, etc. wherein the perpetrator is held in bondage by an external force. If you show them enough "love" with rehab and caring, you can eventually take them away from their sin and set them upon the narrow path.

Homosexuality is different. In your mind, I assume of course, homosexuality is a decision that a person makes while willfully ignoring heterosexuality in the name of hedonistic pleasure. To you, this is a sin. With enough "love," the person can be retrieved from Satan's claws and be set upon the noble, loving, straight path. Yet, every gay person that I know is latently aware of their homosexuality just like we are with our heterosexuality. It's there and it is what it is. The problem with your notion of teaching children to believe homosexuality is immoral is that they equate it with alcoholism and drug use; the person once willfully subjected themselves to it, fell under its spell, yet can be redeemed.

I have to ask; why would a person willfully subject themselves to life as a homosexual if it were a choice? Are they attracted not only to their own sex, but also to mockery, shame, and discrimination? Thusly, do you see homosexuality as a form masochism? Sociological studies have shown that the highest suicide rates amongst young people belong to, you guessed it, gay teens in religious environments. Why would a teenager subject themselves to open ridicule and condemnation from their own community if the freely available alternative of acceptable heterosexuality was available to them? It doesn't add up.

So you know, I grew up in a household just like the one that you're advocating. My father preached "love the sinner, hate the sin" but eventually, his visible hatred of gays came out. I swear, hearing so many people called "fags" and other things on a routine basis forced me to examine what I'd been taught. Scripture was cited as the stone-cold basis against homosexuality, yet the passages about compassion and understanding were ignored, even though they vastly outnumber the former.

I know that you're a "culture warrior" in the D&D, so please address what I've said. It's a learning process, after all!

4. Landlord Landry

Well, judging solely by this response alone, you didn't grow up in the household I am advocating, nor the envrionment I am raising my children in.

I don't refer to homosexuals as 'fags' in my house. I am not a 'gay-hater' either. I just happen to disagree with the entire 'concept' of homosexuality, and I have no problem admitting that the foundation of that belief comes from the Bible.

so there is nothing wrong with raising my children to believe that homosexuality is wrong, I've never told my children to hate gays, nor do I ever tell them that I hate gays, because I don't.

5. mtbrays

mtbrays Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

My apologies for the generality. In no way did I mean to challenge your parenting skills. I hope you forgive, as I enjoy your posting here.

6. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

No kidding. That history placed those men together at the same time, for a common purpose, is astounding. Despite their differences, they came together and produced greatness.

7. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Can you imagine an Obama vs. Blagojevich shootout. Of course Obama would end up being criticized by some for either being a murderer or a bad shot.

8. Landlord Landry

likewise.

9. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

^ C'mon this is the D & D. CIVILITY HAS NO PLACE HERE!

;)

10. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

I know, right? 2009 is off to a terrible start in this thread. :)

11. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Guess who's giving the prayer before Rick Warren?

It's openly gay Episcopal bishop Gene Robinson. That's right the prayer that will kick everything off will be an openly gay Bishop.

Gene Robinson was one who had been critical of Obama's decision to include Rick Warren.

12. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

I'm looking forward to hearing Jimmy Lee Farnsworth's prayer.

13. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

He might have some faith healings to do that night, so he's only scheduled in tentatively.