1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

AZ Central: Langhi adjusts

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Free Agent, Nov 16, 2002.

1. Free Agent

Free Agent Member

Langhi, with shooter's license, adjusts

Bob Young
    The Arizona Republic
    Nov. 16, 2002 12:00 AM

For his first two seasons in the NBA, Dan Langhi's role with the Houston Rockets - when he played at all - usually consisted of spotting up in a corner, hoping to occupy a defender so Houston guards Steve Francis and Cuttino Mobley would have room to work.

The pay was good, but the job wasn't very rewarding.

Now, Langhi finds himself adjusting to an expanded role with the Suns. Not only is he encouraged to take shots, coach Frank Johnson threatened in practice last week to fine him if he passed up an open one.

"He did say that," said Langhi, who got to face his old team Friday night. "I was feeling like Kobe (Bryant) in practice. I was telling Casey Jacobsen I felt like I was shooting it every time I touched it.

"I wanted to get other people involved. I guess Frank didn't want any part of that. I was hitting and he said, 'Don't pass up an open shot.'

"He's talked to me and told me that's my job - to shoot the ball and spread the defense."

But Langhi said it was hard to argue with the Rockets' approach when he was there because Francis and Mobley are so difficult to defend. The Rockets isolate them on a defender and let them work.

"They have great players for that, so you can't knock them," he said.

Langhi didn't get consistent minutes but spent a lot practice time working out with Houston forward Kenny Thomas.

"We used to play one-on-one all the time," he said. "Sometimes he'd win, and sometimes I'd win. It depends on whether he wanted to back me down all the time."