1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

(Az Central) Amare #1 over - Yao?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by xiki, Jan 17, 2007.

1. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

http://www.azcentral.com/sports/suns/articles/0117sunsside0117.html

Stoudemire's surge opens draft debate
    Amaré may have been best pick from 2002

Paul Coro
    The Arizona Republic
    Jan. 17, 2007 12:00 AM

HOUSTON - The seven players drafted directly in front of Amaré Stoudemire don't even belong in this conversation, let alone on an NBA court (see ex-pros Jay Williams, the 2002 No. 2 pick; Nikoloz Tskitishvili, the No. 5; and Dajuan Wagner, the No. 6.

For the sake of this debate, skip from where Stoudemire was drafted ninth overall by Phoenix to the No. 1 spot - watch out for Mike Dunleavy's stack of money by the Golden State bench. If the draft was a do-over, does today's matchup have the Suns visiting a Houston team led by Stoudemire instead of Yao Ming?

Yao is out with a broken right tibia, which could make Stoudemire the West All-Stars' top center and prompt All-NBA first-team consideration for the Suns' 24-year-old standout.

Stoudemire does not mind Yao's absence, given the 8 inches and 75 pounds of difference between the two. Stoudemire has shot 38 percent in 10 career games against Houston. Just the same, Yao has been run off the court in most of his recent games against Phoenix.

Head-to-head matchups and international popularity aside, has Stoudemire's resurgence made him the better 2002 pick?

"Ooo, gosh, wow, hooo, man," TNT analyst Doug Collins said, pondering a question that has gone from moot to tricky in two months. "Probably with the way the game is played today, I would take Amaré - the rules with up-tempo and the way they're pushing the ball. Fifteen years ago, I'd take Yao because it was more the decade of the centers. Whoever you got, you'd be happy with."

Even Houston fans must wonder "What if?" with Stoudemire, especially when the Rockets are winning more often since Yao's injury this season despite the career-best numbers he put up before it.

Suns coach Mike D'Antoni is a biased observer, but given the same draft scenario, he turned without hesitation to Tuesday's three-on-three scrimmage coach/referee and said, "This guy," for whom he would take.

Stoudemire's role may expand with Kurt Thomas out for at least a month. Thomas' sound post defense has enabled Stoudemire to thrive as a weak-side help shot-blocker or intimidator. Stoudemire is the NBA's only top-40 scorer averaging less than 30 minutes but that will change unless he his frequent foul troubles worsen. He is tied for fourth in the NBA with 3.6 fouls per game.

Stoudemire's more confident play has him tallying nearly as many double-doubles (21) in 37 games this season as he posted in all of 2004-05 (27). His rebounding average (9.1) is a career best. His 59.8 percent shooting also is a career best, coming off a season-best 42-point game at Memphis.

"I'm building up both - stamina and strength," Stoudemire said. "It's all trying to come together."

The swagger is returning. He dunked seven times Monday at Memphis, usually with violent force ("It's just my natural instinct," he said). He slammed out of double teams and below-the-rim traffic with will.

Suns assistant Phil Weber saw vintage Stoudemire when he contested a shot and filled one lane on the break.

"If you're looking at Shawn (Marion) and Amaré running at you on each side and Steve (Nash) with the ball in the middle, that's a defender's nightmare," Weber said. "That's when you want to punt."

What startles many in Stoudemire - the improved jumper and smoother ball handling - is what Weber saw 16 months ago. He and Stoudemire worked on his skills all summer before his first knee surgery.

"He doesn't see any ceiling and he shouldn't," said Weber, who emphasizes that Stoudemire will become "a great shooter." "He had come along before the setback. He's just coming back into his own."

2. ivanyy2000

ivanyy2000 Contributing Member

I understand they are homers, and they are Suns' homers. So I just ignore them. :)

3. across110thstreet

across110thstreet Contributing Member

this just in-

Houston based news source calls Yao best Center in NBA...

4. tested911

tested911 Member

We need a legit 3rd guy,, J-Kidd anyone :)

All the top teams have a legit 3rd scorer than can step it up....

Going back to the article...

I would take Amare over Yao just because of the fact that the league has changed it's whole demeanor on the natural center... Illegal D is no more and zone defenses can kill the Rockets..

Amare > Yao.....

5. Matador

Matador Member

I sure don't wonder, "What if?" Yao over Amare anyday for me! I will no longer respect anything Doug Collins says in regards to basketball analysis.

6. TracyMcCrazyeye

you've got to be kidding me. one 42 point game from amare has people thinking he's the best player from that draft? what about yao's streak of 30pt+ games? the blatant hate and disrespect for yao just angers me.

7. GoatBoy

GoatBoy Member

Tracy wanted to come here to play with Yao.

In other words, if we had Amare, we'd still have Francis, Cato and Mobley. An exciting team that would probably never win a playoff series. Not enough smarts, IMHO.

8. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

There was little question at draft day over the order. Revisionism is great. Yao is great. Would Amare flourish in other systems?

I had heard Rudy wanted Amare but did not trade up to get him instead of Boki. I have always wondered if he tried and/or how hard he tried.

9. whoisray

whoisray Contributing Member

When Amare was out last year, everything was silent. How nice of them to beat on Yao when he's out :rolleyes:

As for those that say, its a more uptempo game, who won the championship last year??? Honestly, I don't see the suns EVER winning the championship. This has been proven in the past, except for the Lakers(who still played defense the Riley way) every team has the slow it down, half court game and plays damn good defense.

10. drich

drich Member

without nash amare we would not have this conversation. two years ago nash went out for a long period and amare shot 36% from the field. all of his shots are from fastbreaks or breakdowns in the defense from nash running around like a chicken with his head cut off. so hell no i wouldn't take amare over yao. amare has no post up game his freaking shots are all wide open bottom line is with out nash or a dominant point guard his ass would not be near as good as his numbers are making people think he is. now by saying this i am not saying he would not be good what i am saying is that we would not be discussing this if he had an nba team that didn't just run wild all the time

11. rimrocker

rimrocker Contributing Member

The fact that they have to ask the question and go out of the way to jusify their answer shows what the real answer is.

They quote Amare's coach, his assistant coach, and Doug Collins, who is obviously hemming and hawing before finally giving the reporter what they want. My guess is if you asked Collins when he was in Houston, he would hem and haw and say Yao. Regardless, not exactly a representative sample.

12. rimrocker

rimrocker Contributing Member

13. sbyang

sbyang Member

remember when this was a legitimate debate? Now it just feels like a homer fluff piece. Love how far Yao has risen his game.

14. Realjad

Realjad Contributing Member

Where was the Amare hate when the Suns flourished last year without Amare??

Why the Hate on Yao?

"Even Houston fans must wonder "What if?" with Stoudemire"

I definitly don't, it would SUCK to think what if. Cat/Francis/Amare.. pass please

Seems like every sportswriter has a constant orgasm when talking about Amare and I just don't get it, yes he is good but Yao is better.

Fast-Paced game is the way to win?? PLEASSEE Those face-paced style teams haven't won a championship yet while the defensive minded teams have run off with trophies.

San An
    Detroit
    Heat

see the trend? I do, and Suns/Dallas and all the other fast paced teams aren't there.

15. dfwrox

dfwrox Contributing Member

I do wonder "What if".

What if Steve Nash signed with Rockets???

Amare is NOTHING without Nash!!!!

#15 dfwrox, Jan 17, 2007
    Last edited: Jan 17, 2007
  16. FanToronto

FanToronto Member

Agree. Basketball is not only a physical game, but also an mental game in a long run. Let's wait until Nash retires. Be patient.

17. kkuu

kkuu Member

If they don't have Nash, Amare is nothing, trust me.

18. macalu

macalu Contributing Member

please...get back to me when Amare is the go-to guy. he's an exciting player, but no one is gonna mistake him for someone who can get his own shot and a clutch-player.

19. mj10501

mj10501 Contributing Member

seriously. amare couldn't even put on a show during the DUNK contest without nash carrying his ass.

20. SLrocket

SLrocket Contributing Member

LOL yao could own amare on ONE LEG!