1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[AWJGTI] Harden MVP Watch 2016-17

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by shastarocket, Nov 2, 2016.

1. joomba

joomba Member

He has a point. Just look at our roster, the name value of our players besides Harden. This is no way a 27-9 team. It just goes to show you the greatness of Harden and MDA. They both are bringing the best out of every player on this team.

2. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

Kellerman argument is lame as hell. Winning a title proves Lebron is the best player? Does winning a title prove that jr smith is the best?

Winning a title proves you are the best team. I do think Lebron is a better player than harden but harden is having a better year. The MVP isn't based on who would you rather have, it's an award for the production you put out that year.

vtjsr2 likes this.
  3. mrm32

mrm32 Member

Was Kellerman's argument for MVP really based on LeBron's having a higher chance to win the title this year? What a tool!

4. justtxyank

Yes exactly. When stephen a said harden was having a better year max said "will he be in the finals"

I guess max thinks we should wait until after the finals and just give the MVP to the best player on the title team?

Anyway, his own argument is nullified by Lebron not winning a title every year. He said he is the MVP every year and that he proves it by winning the title...except he didn't win it every year. So stupid.

5. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

As has been said time and time again...

The media decides who they want to win, and they use whatever logic fits that decision. In addition to this, you must also be a designated universal media golden boy, which Harden is not.

justtxyank likes this.
  6. vtjsr2

vtjsr2 Member

I wish Stephen A put in the argument of putting Lebron in the Western conference. Kellerman confidently states the Cavs make it to the finals, which is likely true, but you put him in our conference, and it's very much arguable.

Also, I don't get that argument that Harden's numbers are "inflated" under D'Antoni's system. What?? They're not fake numbers. WTF kind of argument is that?

waytookrzy079 likes this.
  7. justtxyank

other than assists, his numbers aren't even inflated. He's actually shooting lower percentages under dantoni

vtjsr2 likes this.
  8. vtjsr2

vtjsr2 Member

what does inflated mean? the dude gets the numbers. end of story.

my blood is boiling at these fickle points.

9. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

stay calm

vtjsr2 likes this.
  10. justtxyank

Just mean that it's "system driven" like a quarterback who throws 20% more Than anyone in the league bragging about number of completions.

Even if you buy into that with the harden/dantoni system, I argue that his numbers aren't anymore "popeye" (dumb kelerman phrase) than ever before except for the assists.

It's an uniformed argument

vtjsr2 likes this.
  11. vtjsr2

vtjsr2 Member

I guess. But you're right, it's uninformed. To me, it's rare to find players who will buy into the system. Kobe didn't. Carmelo didn't.

That deserves credit.

And for the system argument, a perfect example is Brady and Belicheck. The other qbs can't do what Brady does. That system won't work anywhere else unless you have a capable player to take the reins.

We get no credit no matter what the circumstance. If we win a title, the narrative will be that "it was a fluke" or "it's the system".

**** is frustrating.

12. mrm32

mrm32 Member

What's this about an award show being held late June to announce the MVP? Does this mean the media will have an extended period through the playoffs to cast their vote or is the deadline still near end of the season?

13. count_dough-ku

count_dough-ku Contributing Member

I get his argument. It was the same thing when MJ was losing MVP awards to Karl Malone and Charles Barkley. But Stephen A pretty much shot down any justification for LeBron being in the conversation this season when he cited how he's sitting out games for rest. I'm sorry, but the moment you do that(unless it's just once or twice over 82 games), you disqualify yourself no matter how dominant you are when you suit up. Harden plays every night. Westbrook plays every night(at least til his technical foul total leads to a suspension). Kawhi plays every night unless he's legitimately sick or injured. Durant plays every night. Those are the players we should be discussing.

14. cdrive

cdrive Contributing Member

Max is currently the last standing Harden-hating T-O-O-L. And he is wrong. If someone said, right now, this season, we take Harden and give you Lebron, I'd say HELLLLL NO!

15. justtxyank

I think there is another huge difference. In Jordan's case the argument was they didn't want to give him the award every year so they gave it to Leas deserving guys; it's who were having worse seasons but were someone different. That not the issue with Lebron this year at all. He isn't having a better year than harden.

16. cdrive

cdrive Contributing Member

Hell is truly freezing over. I totally missed this one. Yes that is Colin Cowherd, a NOTORIOUS Harden basher doing an about face.

Os Trigonum likes this.
  17. count_dough-ku

count_dough-ku Contributing Member

I never bought into the whole "Jordan deserved it" narrative anyway. When Barkley won it in 1993, the Suns had the league's best record at 62-20. The Bulls were 57-25 which was a solid record, but it was 10 fewer wins than the year before and not even the best in the East(the Knicks were 60-22 that year). Yes, Jordan did lead the Bulls to the title, but this is a regular season award.

As for Malone in 1997, that's a tossup. Sure, the Bulls won 69 games that year and it could've easily gone to Jordan. But no one saw the Jazz going 64-18 after their 7-game WCF loss to Seattle the year before. Most folks thought Utah had peaked and their age would lead to a steady decline.

18. justtxyank

19. mrm32

mrm32 Member

#mediaconspiracy !!!

I'm sitting here at my desk trying to remember if this is the same Colin Cowherd who said earlier in the year Harden was selfish and couldn't sustain his level of play and was only a product of MDA's system. Hell is truly freezing over.

Os Trigonum and cdrive like this.
  20. DudeWah

DudeWah Member

I don't think that was necessarily his entire argument. I agree that part was lame as hell.

He does have a point that LeBron should have been MVP basically most every season he's been in the NBA. I think legitimately there have been a few who actually deserved it over him in the past 10 years: Dirk, Kobe, KD, and Curry (Harden should have won it) the first time.

Other than that LeBron should legitimately have about 6-7 MVP's in his career.

That being said, I hate to say it, but Screaming A. is right. LeBron has no business in the MVP discussion anymore. He has went the old Spurs route and is playing for the postseason. That's good and I wouldn't bet against LeBron to win a championship.

He can't be MVP though.

Harden deserves MVP thus far. The media is trying so hard to give it to Westbrook though. I think the Rockets only hope for Harden to win MVP is to win 60+ games.