1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[AWJGTI] Harden MVP Watch 2016-17

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by shastarocket, Nov 2, 2016.

1. OTMax

OTMax Member

Exactly! Harden only has one chance, IF he stops taking plays of, not run back and put in the / extra effort every single game, quarter and minute he's out there.

2. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I think Harden has a few things that hurt him.

1. The perception that he doesn't play D.
    2. His high turnovers

He lost out to Curry a few years back - Curry put up ever-so slightly better numbers and of course won a ton of game - GS went from an 8th seed to the best record in the NBA - so that made it hard to give it to anyone but Curry.

This year - Durant is having a sick statistical season and GS has the best record, but they have been doing it for so long that he will not get it. That's the thing about the MVP, there is a bias against players and teams that have been dominating for a while - so Lebron and Durant have that strike against them.

So it really comes down to Harden and Westbrook. Westbrook doesn't have the record, but his numbers are better than harden overall in most categories. The other thing is that averaging a triple double for a season on a team that is playoffs bound - it's going to be touch not to give it to him.

So I would say right now Westbrook has it with Harden just behind.

3. SooneRockStro

SooneRockStro Member

53/17/16, but please tell me more about Westbrook. :face palm:

4. sugrlndkid

sugrlndkid Member

screw WB...Harden balling this season. Deserves the MVP just for the sheer reason that his team is light years ahead of how they played last year...

5. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

Glad to see that I was wrong.

6. HardenTime

HardenTime Member

bullshit look at our record, do you want me to show the links from si, espn, and cbs that had us before the season predicted to miss the playoffs or being the 8th seed. Why wont the media give Harden his credit when he does something amazing, why cant they admit they ****ed up last year and he deserves to be mvp. Im starting to think after last years robbery of all-nba, that in 2015 anybody would have beaten harden for mvp the way the media treats him

7. HardenTime

HardenTime Member

Westbrooks turnovers are right there with Harden, Harden beats Westbrook everywhere else in advanced metrics, rpm, vorp, win shares, bpm, and of course wins. Harden based on his advanced stats could easily average a triple as well too.

Blurr#7 likes this.
  8. Sweet Lou 4 2

Supporting Member

This isn't true. Westbrook is clearly better in VORP and BPM and he turns the ball over less especially considering that he has a higher usage than Harden (yes, as shocking as that is).

But you are right that Harden has more win shares and wins. Harden also is a more efficient scorer.

Regardless you can make a case for either one, but I think that if Russell is the first player to average a triple double since Oscar Robertson and his team wins 50 games, he will likely get it.

The media is going to go with whatever makes for the better story. If the Rockets get the number one seed in the west, then yes, Harden is a lock for the MVP regardless of what Westbrook does. The Rockets as the 3rd seed opens the door for Westbrook though.

9. HardenTime

HardenTime Member

http://www.basketball-reference.com/friv/mvp.cgi -MVP TRACKER

harden was first with over 51% of the vote in 2015 with curry getting like 33%.. this is basketball ref which credits harden with a robbed mvp according to their data. And Harden is leading the metric again this year with close to 50% wait till this latest game by harden gets cramed in their, his MVP percentage might shoot up even more

So if this trend pans out and harden finishes 1st in the historical mvp tracker he would have been cheated by the media members 3 years in a row

talk about changing someones legacy

10. HardenTime

HardenTime Member

those are pretty much the only stats westbrook leads harden over and still harden is top 2 or 3 in either....

11. joomba

joomba Member

Harden has better shooting efficiency, more assists, better WS and WS/48, better RPM, and most importantly better team record.

Westbrook has more points and rebounds, better PER, BPM and VORP.

If you ask me, I'll take a player with better efficiency, WS/48, RPM and better team record over a player with better volume stats and PER, any day of the week.

12. T for 3

T for 3 Member

he should have had 63-18-17.

13. Cashmoney

Cashmoney Member

Honestly this conversation is still way too early. OKC have a brutal stretch coming up I think as the season wears on Westbrook will fade as we pull further ahead

14. shastarocket

shastarocket Contributing Member

Best part was the fact that the New York media had front row seats to this incredible performance. They won't soon forget that he accounted for 96pts (!!!)

Every vote counts

15. Sweet Lou 4 2

Supporting Member

You just said Harden was leading in those stats so I only was correcting your error. Don't make the claim if it's not untrue.

MVP is a squishy award, just ask David Robinson. As for all NBA-teams, yes Harden was robbed but so what? He's not here to get on all-nba teams he's here to win. MVP's will come if he leads this team to 60+ wins.

16. HardenTime

HardenTime Member

you just dont want harden to surpass hakeem.. Harden is only getting started,... next up the franchise wins record

17. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Harden holds steady in the MVP race. Media conspiracy.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sport...race-harden-westbrook-lebron-durant/96089228/

1. James Harden, Houston Rockets

There are triple doubles, then there are the crazy numbers Harden put up on New Year's Eve against the New York Knicks. He had 53 points, 17 assists and 16 rebounds, which made him the first player in NBA history to record at least 50 points, 15 rebounds and 15 assists in a single game. Harden has eight triple-doubles for the season and that one against the Knicks was his second consecutive. It's almost as if Harden and Westbrook are playing a season-long one-up duel. The best part? The Thunder and Rockets play Thursday in Houston.​

18. vtjsr2

vtjsr2 Member

kellerman assuming the skip role nicely.

Os Trigonum likes this.
  19. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Stephen A clearly part of the media conspiracy

20. joomba

joomba Member

I really hate that Kellerman took Skip's role. Skip has always been fair to Harden, believe it or not. As I've said numerous times before, Max Kellerman is the biggest Harden hater out there, I feel like puking up whenever I see his face on TV.

vtjsr2 likes this.