1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[AWJGTI] Harden MVP Watch 2016-17

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by shastarocket, Nov 2, 2016.

1. shastarocket

shastarocket Contributing Member

Contrary to what the GARM thinks, Harden is not only playing otherworldly basketball right now, folks are noticing.

Here's an amazing stat that should support Harden's bid:

http://www.todaysfastbreak.com/nba-...james-harden-just-prolific-russell-westbrook/

The article explores a bit more about how Westbrook and Harden compare in a number of ways including team rebounding and "potential assists." Definitely worth a click

Blurr#7, BigMaloe, Cashmoney and 4 others like this.
  2. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

Westbrook is a great player but boy does he chuck, enough to make Kobe blush.

The All-star games have sucked because of him, he just chucks away without any remorse.

oakdogg likes this.
  3. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

There's no planet where enough, much less a couple, media members take advance analytics like this into account when comparing Westbrook and Harden. And especially if the Thunder finish with a better record.

Keep in mind Harden wasn't even on an all NBA team last year despite posting ridiculous numbers that few players had ever done before. Rather someone like Lillard was voted over Harden, despite Harden having superior statistics in almost every category and Lillard actually being a worse defender than James. But nobody ever mocks Lillard's defense, because for some reason he is a media darling... I'm not exactly sure why.

DreamShook likes this.
  4. YaoMing#1

YaoMing#1 Member

Russ really is a great player and very unique in his own right, but Harden is just a better basketball player in every category except for rebounding and harden is actually one of the better rebounding Guards but Russ is the best.

I would bet that secretly if you Polled the players in the NBA as well as management that Harden would be the guy they think is the better player and also the guy players would want to play with more.

5. J.R.

J.R. Member

6. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

I agree with @JayZ750 nobody cares about any of this stuff. Harden is going to have to pass the eye test with the media knuckle heads. Harden, despite having great numbers, everyone will dismiss it because of defense*. Last night, on NBATV, they dismissed his monster stat line like it was nothing.

Harden doesn't have to be good at defense, he just has to look like he is good at defense for these dummies to consider him MVP status.

I just cant believe how that video has ruined his career.

furthermore, it's too early for this s#!t.

7. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

But but but WESTBROOK PLAYS HARDER!!!1!

8. shastarocket

shastarocket Contributing Member

Definitely fair to say that the media doesn't give enough credence to his statistical dominance. Regardless, my main intention with this thread was to counter the incessant negativity.

We've had something special for the past few years, let's celebrate it.

majicdonjuan and DonKnock like this.
  9. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

You have to win to be MVP though. I don't think either gets it unless they're a top 4 seed, so I think Kawhi or CP3 will have the edge.

OKC is 3-0.

10. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I don't understand the "Contrary to what the GARM thinks" here . . . . The GARM is not some monolithic UniMind, people on the GARM are certainly noticing, and, oh yeah . . . IT'S TOO EARLY FOR THIS ****.

napalm06 likes this.
  11. ksny15

ksny15 Member

I get frustrated when people just clam on about his defense and saying he can't play defense. He's actually a pretty decent defender the problem is he's just lazy on that side of the ball as we all know.

The only way that video becomes irrelevant is if he wins an MVP but ironically that video will prevent him from winning one.

12. jordnnnn

jordnnnn Member

Pretty interesting discussion on one of the ESPN podcasts a couple weeks ago where they were talking about Harden vs. Westbrook and essentially this is the reason they came up with as to why people still believe Westbrook is better than Harden.

That stinkin eye test.

I believe it was Amin and Haberstroh saying people need to wake up and realize that it's not blasphemous to say Harden is better than Westbrook, it's simply the truth.

DonKnock likes this.
  13. HardenTime

HardenTime Member

Harden has struggled with asthma since he was 9, if Harden would come out and speak on the issue im sure the media would go easier on him for his defense. But alas Harden isnt one for excuses, its why i like this guy so much. He just ignores the nonsense of the what the media is saying and just shuts up and dominates

14. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

I never understood the love for the regular season MVP title.

Stephen won it and Iguodala was the best in the Finals. Dirk won it but that post season he got embarrassed and it took him couple years for 1 title.

15. FTW Rockets FTW

FTW Rockets FTW Contributing Member

LerBron
    Kawhi
    CP3
    Westbrook (depends on team record)
    Harden (depends on team record)

16. cdrive

cdrive Contributing Member

What Harden did last night on a tender ankle was nothing short of spectacular, irrespective of the loss.

Look below. These are the only 4 times recorded when a guy has put up at least 41p/15a/7r

A lot can be said about LeBron's being a triple double, having 4 blocks and 2 steals....but they guy took 33 shots and woofed it from behind the 3pt line.

To me the awesomeness of Harden's game last night really only happened once before. Look at Clyde's game. 23 shots. Not as great from the 3, but lights out FG%. And also only 2 TOs.

[​IMG]

larsv8 likes this.
  17. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

^ Also in 10 less minutes.

Pretty crazy game

ThatBoyNick, BigMaloe and cdrive like this.
  18. cdrive

cdrive Contributing Member

@larsv8 good catch good point!

BigMaloe likes this.
  19. Harden's beard

It seems like the former OKC trios - Harden, Westbrook and Durant - are the ones gonna be leading the MVP race this year. AD is a beast, but his team is in a miserable condition, and Curry is going to have a mediocre season. I don't think LeBron or Kyrie is going to make a strong case for MVP either. The Dark horse to look out for is DeRozan, damn this kid is on a roll right now.

cdain3 likes this.
  20. cdain3

cdain3 Member

Gonna be a good 30 for 30 one day.