1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[AWJGTI] Clint Capela's Historic Per-Minute Productivity

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by dharocks, Dec 12, 2016.

1. dharocks

dharocks Contributing Member

Sure, I agree, but I'm not really trying to compare him to the guys in the OP (the subsequent Yao post notwithstanding); those are just the only other players to produce those numbers at the rate that Clint has so far. Which I think demonstrates that you also can't compare him to guys like DeAndre or Tyson Chandler, and that he's more than just a rim-runner and finisher. In addition to his quickness and athleticism, Clint has great hands, legitimately impressive footwork in the paint, and good touch around the basket, all at an extremely young age.

Will Capela be someone who we just throw the ball to on the low block? Probably not, but with James and MDA, we don't want that anyway. With his ability to catch the ball on the run and finish without traveling or committing a charge, and as his jump hook becomes more of a weapon, I think he could easily become a guy who averages 18-20 ppg almost exclusively off of a variety of pick-and-rolls.

Which is to say, he can give us everything we WANTED from Dwight Howard.

micah1j and FANfrom86toNow like this.
  2. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

Fit great with Harden and MDA system. That's all that count. Extra for plenty of room for improvements. Wouldn't surprise me to see him at least getting to 70% FT and eventually having a mid-range shot. Shooting form looks solid and if he is diligent in practice, he will get better. But first, need to gain some muscle strength to improve his post defense.

FANfrom86toNow likes this.
  3. FANfrom86toNow

FANfrom86toNow Contributing Member

I agree 100% and have been campaigning for MDA to play Clint 36mpg and let him play through his mistakes and lapses so that we can get him more experience and confidence to be ready to be a force in the playoffs.

4. phantoman

phantoman Contributing Member

if he developed a mid range game and became a better passer out of the high post then he is a max player. but who would u rather have
    Capella or Embiid. Can you see Capella being a star like most can with Embiid?

5. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

Show this to Minnesota when we try to trade him for Ricky Rubio!

Williamson, BigMaloe and Cash Cam like this.
  6. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

I completely agree with your take. I made that thread (Capela will be a star) after watching him in the playoffs for the exact reasons you listed. He has a feel for the game. He has good hands. He has good footwork. He's a good athlete without any body clumsiness. Basketballholic has essentially said he's a stupid player and I just don't agree. I don't think there are any natural limitations (except for weight still) to his game. He can be as good as he wants to work to be. I absolutely love having him on the team and would be very hesitant to trade him.

dharocks likes this.
  7. MorningZippo

MorningZippo Member

Embiid and Capela is an apples to oranges comparison. Their team situations are way too different, especially on the offensive end.

8. FANfrom86toNow

Full agree! I think it would be hard to trade him for someone like Cousins right now because he is so cheap, and I think if you actually played him 36 minutes per game, he would average 15 plus points, 10 plus rebounds and 3 blocks a game, even though he would make lots of mistakes still. But I think this is the year to let him learn, get more experience through more minutes, and gain the confidence that he can play consistently at that level against the best NBA competition.

9. Mr. Turbo

Mr. Turbo Member

We still don't know his ceiling. He could be most improved player in the league this year. Imagine 4 years from now where he could be?

tbw914 likes this.
  10. FANfrom86toNow

While I don't want to trade Capela, it would be hard NOT to do this trade if we only gave up Capela, KJ and picks plus prospects. Pairing Cousins and Anderson together would be a nightmare for other teams defensively.

11. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I like Capela a lot - but his scoring numbers have a lot to do with James Harden.

12. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Worrell -- "Look at Clint Capela...Muscle Up Big Fela"

tbw914 likes this.
  13. dharocks

dharocks Contributing Member

While there's truth in statements like this, I don't like how dismissive they are of Capela's legitimate strengths on offense. DeAndre's not putting up 17pts/36 with Chris Paul.

vator and FANfrom86toNow like this.
  14. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

He's a big reason why we have been successful this season, he's brings desperately needed rebounding and shot blocking to this team.

15. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

Would you trade Capela for Embiid?

16. phantoman

phantoman Contributing Member

i would say no at this momment because of his not playing every game. BUT this would be the perfect time to do a trade if he was available. HE is a better player but Capela is what we need in this offense.

17. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

DeAndre isn't on the floor for his offense. But I would say right now Clint is a poor man's DeAndre from a defensive perspective.

On the offensive end Clint is improving - but he has a LONG way to go. 85% of his fg's are assisted. So that means only 15% comes off of offensive rebounding or his own creation. He still shoots abysmally from beyond 3 feet.

I am very high on Clint but I am not ridiculous like some of you guys are and calling him the 2nd coming of Yao or Hakeem here. Right now he's thriving off collapsing defenses on Harden - so his numbers are a bit deceptive - he wouldn't be able to put up 17/36 on other teams. That's not being dismissive it's being honest.

18. kingkingston

kingkingston Member

Per 36 stats are rubbish, sorry to say.

19. chenjy9

chenjy9 Numbers Don't Lie
    Supporting Member

Not true at all. Like any stats, it is only rubbish when you do not use them in the proper context.

20. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Well he's playing 25 minutes per game. It's more rubbish when you apply it to 10-15 minute guys

vator likes this.