1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[AWGTI] Joel Embiid

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by shastarocket, Oct 6, 2016.

Tags:
  1. YOLO

YOLO Member

too much fun at the meek mill concert

2. abaker28

abaker28 Member

Really feel sorry for him and the 76's fans. Hope he can get some consistent injury free court time next season along with Simmons.

But wonder what this will do to his chances for rookie of the year. Does he have enough minutes played? (approx 750). When compared to others who have won it in the passed, previous winners have all had a min of 1500. But it's difficult to say other rookies this season have impacted the game like Embiid did.

3. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

How his season went down makes me the think their medical staff completely messed up and aggravated the injury.
    Should've shut him down way sooner.

4. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

They have to make a decision on MAXING him next year right?

Rocket River

roslolian likes this.
  5. abaker28

abaker28 Member

Glad it's not us having to make that decision.
    On one hand do they gamble on his future fitness and pay him top $$ and risk him being injured throughout that contract or trade him/let him go.
    I hope he can overcome whatever injuries. He's such a game changer and seems like a great personality.

roslolian likes this.
  6. dmoneybangbang

I don't see much of a reason to not max him out since the injury isn't related to his foot.

7. roslolian

roslolian Member

Lol just a dumb move by 76ers FO trading Noel for Anderson and three 2nd round picks. I wonder what 76ers ownership must be feeling now, they fired Hinkie but then the guys they replaced him undoed all the progress he made. 76ers are screwed.

If I'm a rival team I'm snapping Hinkie up as soon as that no compete clause expires.

8. roslolian

roslolian Member

To me though it shows how brittle Embiid really is. If its not his foot then maybe his other foot and now his shoulder. And he's not even playing full games he sit out back2backs.

What 76ers should've done is traded Embiid for a high pick in this year's draft and retained Noel instead. Noel is the inferior player but he's also the significantly healthy one.

9. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

I was listening to the radio . . . he has played 31 games in 3 years
    31?????
    At the end of next season . . . if he plays . . say 65 games. .. that puts him at 96 games in 4 years
    82*4 = 328
    96/328 = 29.3% of his potential games. . . . .
    Sorry but tying up 120+ Mill in to that guy is a MAJOR risk

Rocket River

Pen15clubber likes this.
  10. J.R.

J.R. Member

Woj:

Embiid is eligible for his rookie contract extension this summer/fall. He could sign 5 year, $150 million max extension but it's likely the Sixers will push for less guaranteed money, including injury protections. He can pass on the extension & enter restricted free agency in 2018. He can hunt down an offer sheet & force the Sixers to match or let him go. Embiid can gamble he'll enjoy a far healthier 2017-18, which will make him a much surer bet to get whatever he desires or does he take a lesson from Stephen Curry five years ago, who's chronic ankle problems led to a compromised deal with Golden State - 4 years, $44 million. Lifetime financial security for Curry but a deal that wouldn't cripple the Warriors salary cap should he break down.

In the end, how much confidence does Embiid have with a lower body that has constantly betrayed him? Do the Sixers risk letting Embiid enter restricted free agency in 2018, signing a shorter deal with a player option elsewhere that can ultimately deliver him sooner to unrestricted free agency? Embiid's negotiations will play out the summer months, right towards that late October deadline. The Sixers are unblinking that Embiid is indeed the franchise's future but how that's measured in guaranteed money come these negotiations will go a long way shaping Philadelphia's salary cap & roster for years to come. Joel Embiid is a star but at what price?

11. roslolian

roslolian Member

Who is he? Embiid or Noel? If its Embiid ueah I agree thats why I said they should have traded him this year. I also said before the trade that it was really dumb of 76ers to trade Noel for three 2nd picks when they don't even know if Embiid will be healthy.

gambingo and Rocket River like this.
  12. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

He should take the money asap

Rocket River

Yaosthirdleg likes this.
  13. Normalus

Normalus Member

I don't think he deserves 'Rookie of the year' award with the number of games he played.

roslolian likes this.
  14. roslolian

roslolian Member

Agree. Going by Embiid's standard ROY should have been Oden during his second season. Dude missed his rookie season and had destroyed legs but was still on the cusp of making LMA obsolete when he got injured again. If Oden had been 100% healthy IMHO he would have totally been the best player of his draft and not KD.

15. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Oden was never on the cusp of making LMA obsolete.

jbasket likes this.
  16. roslolian

roslolian Member

He became Brandon Roy's preferred partner on PnRs over LMA and caused LMA to feel under appreciated:

http://www.kpopstarz.com/articles/218438/20150709/reason-why-lamarcus-aldridge-left-blazers.htm

Even with banged up knees and in just his rookie year (technically second season), Oden still averaged 8.9 pts and 7 rebs in 20 mins while anchoring the middle for Portland, if he was healthy and got a normal 36 mins per game he would've gotten 15 and 12 which is pretty crazy as a 21 yr old rookie big man. IMHO if Oden was 100% healthy he would've been the next Tim Duncan in the NBA.

17. Buck Turgidson

Shoulder? You know the meniscus is part of the knee, right?

Huge problem with leg injuries is overcompensation which leads to abnormal use of a different part of the legs which leads to a different injury. Sucks, he's ridiculously talented guy.

Pen15clubber likes this.
  18. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Oden never became Brandon Roy's preferred anything. In fact, Roy resented the Blazers calling a handful of plays for Oden for the sake of developing his game. This was pretty much the only thing during Roy's career that bothered me. I thought the Blazers were right and he was being selfish.

Back to LMA. LMA was excited at the prospect of Oden because it meant he could play more on the perimeter with finesse (back then he hated playing C, even part time) while Oden handled the dirty work. It didn't work at first but LMA figured it out and was very happy.

Lillard and LMA never hit it off. It was very obvious they didn't like each other. If you want to blame a player for LMA leaving Portland, pin it on Lillard. Roy and Oden were't the problem. LMA found a comfortable niche with both guys and enjoyed being the #2 option after Roy, especially since Roy created so many wide open jumpers for him (PnP, Pick-n-Pop). I was a BROF at the time and watched nearly every Blazers game during his time there.

Oden was finally coming into his own until that fateful play trying to guard AB. He had 20 rebs the prior game against the Heat and things were looking up. At the same time, even if healthy, he never would have been Tim Duncan. They were totally different players. Duncan was skilled and savvy on offense. Oden was gangly and looked very uncoordinated at times. He skills were worse than Dwight's.

19. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

20. J.R.

J.R. Member