1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Awesome Story] Rick Ankiel

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by Baseballa, Aug 10, 2007.

1. Baseballa

Baseballa Member

Ankiel suddenly goes from dominant pitcher to one who can't buy a strike, then comes back years later as a power hitting outfielder. And to top it all off, jacks a three-run homer in his first game back.

With all of the negative press surrounding Barry Bonds, this is definitely a feel-good story that put a smile on my face. As much as I hate the Cards, I'll be pulling for this guy.

Ankiel propels Cardinals to win
    Right fielder hits three-run homer in first game since 2004

ST. LOUIS -- When it was all said and done, after his team beat the Padres 5-0, Rick Ankiel stood in front of his locker with the sweat still dripping down his face and a smile that just wouldn't go away.

Why not?

This night belonged to Ankiel -- from start to end.

From the moment he walked through the clubhouse doors and got a hug from one of the guards to when he stepped out of the dugout after he belted a three-run home run to give the 42,848 fans at Busch Stadium a curtain call, Thursday, Aug. 9, 2007 will always be Ankiel's night.

"You almost can't put it into words," Ankiel said. "I couldn't have written that any better."

The night started for Ankiel with a lengthy standing ovation from the Cardinals faithful, before he stepped into the batter's box for his first Major League at-bat since 2004 in the first inning.

"I wasn't sure what I was supposed to do," Ankiel said. "It's kind of awkward, but it felt great."

It turned out Ankiel's at-bat wasn't that eventful. The right fielder took a pitch, and then popped out to the shortstop.

It didn't matter.

He still got ovations throughout the rest of the night, every time he came up to the plate and every time he slowly jogged to right field to take his position.

But, in the seventh inning, it all changed for the 28-year-old. It went from being an exciting night to a night that Ankiel will surely never forget.

Sporting his new No. 24 on the back of home white jersey, Ankiel walked to the plate for his final at-bat in the seventh.

With two men on and two out, Ankiel showed some patience and took a couple of pitches before getting the count to 2-1.

Padres reliever Doug Brocail then hung a curveball that Ankiel hammered 384 feet over the right-field wall for a three run blast.

Welcome back Mr. Ankiel.

Ankiel then gave a small fist pump as he rounded first base and got a high five from first base coach Dave McKay.

In the dugout, his manager, Tony La Russa was just plain giddy. The manager, who has been the leader of the Cardinals since 1996, raised both of his hands well above his head and exchanged a high five with catcher Yadier Molina, all the while boasting a smile that rivaled Ankiel's postgame grin.

"Short of winning the World Series, that's the happiest I've seen our club," La Russa said. "He's such a special young man. What a moment. This guy has shown so much character."

Asked after the game to describe what it felt like rounding the bases, Ankiel struggled to put it into words.

"I don't think I had any [feeling]. I felt like I was floating," Ankiel said.

What made it even more special for all of Ankiel's teammates and Cardinal nation, was the fact that Ankiel's homer was a timely one too.

Leading just 1-0 in the seventh, the Cards tacked on one run, before Ankiel stepped in and broke the game open to secure a win for the Cards and starting pitcher Joel Pineiro.

Pineiro's dazzling performance -- seven shutout innings, allowing just four hits and no walks -- will surely be forgotten, as the night clearly belonged to No. 24, and that was fine with Pineiro.

"It's great for the team, great for him. It's just amazing. I don't know him well, but, from being on the outside, it's a great story," Pineiro said. "It's amazing for him to come back like this. It doesn't get any better."

Ankiel said it feels like his shortcomings as a big-league pitcher seven years ago are "ancient history" and he's eager and ready to start his new career as a hitter.

Scratch that, a power hitter.

In the end, what Ankiel did on Thursday night is what he's been doing all season at Triple-A Memphis. There, as has now been well documented, Ankiel slugged 32 homers in 102 games and drove in 89 runs.

But, just like the great ones, Ankiel had a few nerves before the game on Thursday and he wasn't shy to admit it.

"I think you're always wondering how you're going to do," Ankiel said. "To end the night like that was special. You always dream of that. It just feels really good, I'm pumped."

With the win, the Cards took three of four from the Padres, who came into the series 10 games above .500 and again find themselves just 5 1/2 games out of first place.

That's right, first place.

Despite still being six games under .500, the Cards now find themselves right in the middle of a heated division race and will now welcome the Dodgers to town for a three-game series.

"It will be no problem getting ready to play these games," La Russa said. "I just hope we're good enough."

One thing is for sure, Thursday night, Rick Ankiel was good enough.

2. rrj_gamz

rrj_gamz Member

Cards suck...

3. Nice Rollin

Nice Rollin Member

who cares? cards suck

4. dntrwl

dntrwl Member

cards suck no one cares

5. A-Train

A-Train Member

OMG, I'll never complain about an Astros beat writer ever again. That was probably the worst sports article I've ever read. Ankiel went 1-4 with two strikeouts and hit a home run that needed divine intervention to make it over the wall. You would have thought he hit a walk off game seven World Series homer after reading that article.

I love that line towards the end, too...

"That's right, first place"

This just in, the Cardinals are closer to 4th place than they are 1st!

6. Jugdish

Jugdish Member

2 homers today.

7. Another Brother

A great story indeed. I"m in STL now, hearing his interviews and being here as it all happens, it's the stuff movies are made of.

2ND BEST STORY IN BASEBALL

(Mr. 3000 is #1 btw) :)

8. Mr. Brightside

I'm a fan of Bernie Mac, but I wouldn't go that far.

9. giddyup

giddyup Member

Good for Ankiel. That was a long road back. Most wouldn't have even tried.

Yeah, Cards suck but Ankiel deserves heavy kudos.

10. xcrunner51

xcrunner51 Member

Props to him, but did he have to take a curtain call for each of his three home runs?

11. kaleidosky

kaleidosky Your Tweety Bird dance just cost us a run

you're gonna fault him for acknowledging the fans? they wouldn't let him go without coming out..

12. Master Baiter

Master Baiter Member

Yeah, he was a lights out pitcher right at first also. We saw how that turned out. He's plays for the freaking Cardinals so I hope is batting stroke goes the way of his pitching control.

13. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Member

I really think it runs deeper than the fans simply cheering for a home run...

14. WWR

WWR Member

You have to admit it is a cool story all you Cards haters.

He goes from not even being able to hit the backstop to dropping bombs!

Pretty incredible.

15. tulexan

tulexan Member

Was he using this bat?

[​IMG]

Seriously, he is turning into the real Natural.

16. Manny Ramirez

Manny Ramirez The Music Man

Exactly. If he wasn't on the Cardinals and was doing this for any other team (with the possible exceptions being the Yankees and Red Sox), there would be many more posts in this thread.

A truly remarkable story. I'm rooting for him.

17. AGBee

AGBee Member

18. SirCharlesFan

SirCharlesFan Member

19. Mr. Brightside

20. A_3PO

A_3PO Member