1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Awesome College Football Rant

Discussion in 'Football: NFL, College, High School' started by Rocketman95, Dec 7, 2005.

1. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

Posted over at another message board, but I had to share:

2. FlyerFanatic

FlyerFanatic YOU BOYS LIKE MEXICO!?! YEEEHAAWW
    Supporting Member

I actually know the guy who posted that, he knows his stuff, is very knowledgeable about college bball

3. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

Are you serious? That is a pretty Ohio-laden board.

Do you post over there?

4. FlyerFanatic

Supporting Member

I dont post over there, actually never been there before, but he uses the same moniker on every board he posts at.

5. Mr. Mooch

Mr. Mooch Contributing Member

Anybody care to explain this one?

6. Manny Ramirez

Manny Ramirez The Music Man

I agree 100% with that rant - it was very eloquent and thorough. Thanks for posting it.

7. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

I agree 100%. I would love to see a playoff style of postseason for College Football. Give the other schools a chance to do it on the field, enough with this BCS sheet.

8. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.

Ditto.

9. FlyerFanatic

Supporting Member

I talked to the guy, he said the games are moving to Fox next year cuz ABC didnt renew their contract, and Fox got it at the fraction of the cost. The BCS never gets high ratings and networks and sponsors were losing money on it.

The guys name is Drew, he actually writes about college bball on a website, www.draftexpress.com he does a section on college bball, if you look for "BracketExpress" on the side menu just go there and you can find his stuff.

10. Kam

Kam Contributing Member

so, how would you guys fix it?

11. Lil Pun

Lil Pun Contributing Member

He explains how to fix it, doesn't he?

I, like most, would love to see D-IA go to a playoff system but I doubt it will ever happen and like he said it all has to do with money.

12. Kam

Kam Contributing Member

i just think 16 is way too many teams. nothing agaisnt the sun belt, but the winner of that conference has no chance versus most teams in the big six conference.

give me a few minutes while i try to figure out a playoff system, while keeping the bowls intact.

13. Major

Major Member

But isn't that the bonus of being the #1 seed? If you want it to be fair and say everyone has a chance and it should decided on the field, then you have to include all conference champions. Besides, we do it all the time. The #16 (and probably #13-#15) seeds in the NCAA Basketball Tourney don't have a chance, yet we include them.

14. Kam

Kam Contributing Member

Even though a number 16 in basketball has never beaten a number 1 seed, I think the chances of a 16 in basketball beating a 1 is greater than that of football.

My reasoning on that is in basketball, all you really need is maybe two exceptional players.

In football, you need more help. And you only play on one side of the football, most of the time.

15. Kam

Kam Contributing Member

I'm still working on it.

16. Mr. Mooch

Mr. Mooch Contributing Member

With the BCS being all about money and with 10 BCS teams next year, I would imagine a playoff "system" be no more than 10 teams, at least initially.

Seems like 16 would be too much of a headache (even though it ain't difficult) for the NCAA.

17. Kam

Kam Contributing Member

okay, would hvae done it last night, but my connection was dying or something.

Here is my take on a playoff system, while trying to maintain the traditions of the bowl games. I do like the idea of the playoffs, but I do not like the idea of using existing bowl games as a playoff game.
    I know, the New Orleans Bowl doesn't matter. The GMAC bowl, who cares. The Gaylords Hotel Bowl. yeah. The Bluebonnet Bowl.. The only people that care about these games are gambling degenerates, and alumni.
    Let them have it.

The first thing I would change is not have a poll until about mid October.
    Maybe a team from a non power conference will surprise us all, like Utah did a few years ago.
    Then we can rank them higher, with out having them work their way to the top because we didn't know about them.

For the seedings, I would use a poll, or have some geeks in the Silicon Valley, or at Rice create a seeding system.

For right now, I will use the BcS rankings.

1. USC
    2. Texas
    3. Penn State
    4. Ohio State
    5. Oregon
    6. Notre Dame
    7. Georgia
    8. Miami

Let's pretend that this system I made up was starting this year.

December 3rd would be your Conference Championship game day. Basically, if you win your conference. You win your conference.
    Congratudamnlations Texas, Georgia, and Florida State.

Location of the games.
    The NCAA can randomly pick cities ahead of time. (they select teams by which ever city gives them money of course.)

Let's pretend that Foxboro, Chicago, Houston, and Seattle are host cities for the the opening round.

Saturday, Decemeber 10th is the NCAA Elite Eight Quarter Finals for the Crystal Ball Championship Presented by Clutchfans.net.

Here are the matchups.

1) USC
    8) Miami

4) Ohio State
    5) Oregon

2) Texas
    7) Georgia

3) Penn State
    6) Notre Dame

the NCAA randomly assign teams the location of where they will play.
    Gametimes are 10:30 AM, 2:00 PM, 5:30 PM, and 9:00 PM

I randomly assign

10:30 AM
    Foxboro
    Penn State vs Notre Dame.

2:00 PM
    Chicago
    Ohio State vs Oregon

5:30 PM
    Texas vs Georiga

9:00 PM
    Seattle
    USC vs Miami

(i'll pick the winners of these games by rolling some dice. The higher seeded teams need to roll the higher number only three times, while, the lower seeded team needs to win it five times)

Penn State beats Notre Dame
    Ohio State beats Oregon
    Texas beats Georiga
    USC beats Miami

Decemeber 17th. The National SemiFinal Final Four for the Crystal Ball presented by Clutchfans.net.

Texas vs Penn State
    USC vs Ohio State

Locations are bidded on and selected ahead of time like the first round.
    Locations are Miami, and San Diego.

I guess times can be:

3:00 PM
    Miami
    Texas vs Penn State

6:30 PM
    San Diego
    USC vs Ohio State

I roll my twenty sided dice, and Texas uses the Lightning bolt to beat Penn State.
    My twenty sided dice rolls and USC has casted a level 12 spell on Ohio State.

Your Championship game is then set. You give them an extra week to recoup and recover.

For the other six teams, your season has not ended yet. You get to play in the highest profile Bowl games.

Penn State can play Ohio State in the Orange Bowl so their fans can say "we're number 3!"

You can rotate the four bowls every year, like they do now.

The Sugar Bowl can be the Seventh place game.
    Miami vs Georgia plays because of seeding, and in what round they lost in
    The Fiesta Bowl can be the Fifth place game.
    Oregon vs Notre Dame plays because of seeding and what round they lost in
    The Orange Bowl can be the third place game.
    and the Rose Bowl decides who is getting the Crystal.

Then next year, the Rose Bowl goes to the back and gets the 7/8 game.

The only flaws I see in this scenario is that the Rose Bowl, no matter what, wants a Pac-10 vs Big 10 game, unless it's the National Championship game.

We do get a playoff. And we do still keep the traditions of Big Bowl games with big program teams. Number nine to 117 can have the Gator Bowl, and Cotton Bowl, and Citrus Bowl, and Holiday Bowl.

hope that makes sense.

18. Desert Scar

Desert Scar Contributing Member

Probably the 1st step is the BCS +1. Using this format, this year #2 Texas would play #3 PSU and #1 USC would play #4 OSU in two of the traditional big 4 bowl cites (Jan 2nd). They can even keep their Bowl names/parades N stuff. Then one week after the winners play (Jan 9th) in the BCS NC game at another of the big bowl cites. I think his alone would take care of 90% of the major controveries (Auburn being left out last year, USC 2 years ago).

However I think you can take care of 99% of the problem with the 8 team format below, but this is a longer shot. Have the top 4 seeds play home games against the bottom 4 seeds around Dec 15th. Then you move on with traditional 4 big bowls as nuetral cites for the semifinals (Jan 1-2), and the finals at a big bowl cite around Jan 9th. You could add one cavout, if a mid-major/Div 1 school is undefeated, but not top 8 in rankings, you could have them play at the 8th seeds place in a "play in" around Dec 7th. This would take care of 99% of the teams with legit grips. If you are from a big conference and only have 1 loss you probably get in, and if you are from a small conference a go undeafeated you get in. Anything else you have to hope for the luck of the draw, but no school can say they didn't get a fair shake at it.

Either scheme you actually increase the importance of the current BCS cites/bowls, add another huge TV/travel/media revenue game at a BCS cite (Jan 9th ish), and can still keep the lesser Bowls for the teams after the top 4 or top 8 like the current non-BCS bowl affliates. It really is a win-win for everyone if the college admins get their heads out of their U know whats and do it.

19. Major

Major Member

If the whole point of the system is to have the championship decided on the field where all teams have a shot, I don't see how this solves anything. A Sunbelt team has no chance at the title, even if they were the best team in the sport. And its still all decided by the polls, so you didn't get rid of the bias factor.

If you're going to have a playoff, you have to include the champions of every conference. That's the only way you can honestly say the title was decided on the field, because then every team has a shot at the crown.

20. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.

Bowl revenues per conference.. notice the dramatic drop-off for non-BCS conferences.

This kind of s@*^ pisses me off so much.

[​IMG]

USA Today: Bowl Revenues