1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Avery Johnson Believes We Have A Great Chance For LeBron

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by TheGreat, Nov 6, 2009.

1. Tigerknee

Tigerknee Contributing Member

JVG made a good point. If James is so gung ho about winning a ring, why doesn't he take less money and go for a contender?

It's not like he's short on cash these days.

2. jeffvangundy

jeffvangundy Member

WHAT IF WE DO THAT AND They DOnt COME??

3. BetterThanEver

BetterThanEver Contributing Member

Then, we sign who ever is left. Come on, bro. It's LeBron. You got to at least try. ;)

4. BetterThanEver

Except they won't have Lebron's bird rights, so they can't give him a contract for over the salary cap.

Pesky league rules!
    Foiled again!
    [​IMG]

5. clos4life

clos4life Member

Lebron is not gonna take 1 cent less than a full max contract. Already he is huge in China and around the entire world, he doesn't need the Rockets.

The only way he comes here is if he feels this team will give him the best chance to win a 'ship and he is not going take less than a full max contract for it. There is a very small chance of that happening, our team would have to super excel this year for Lebron to think of coming here.

6. cml750

cml750 Member

No one has brought up the fact that Texas has no state income tax. Ohio and New York do. New York even has city income taxes. Lebron can keep more of the money he would make here and that includes all the endorsements. Saying that I still see no way King James comes here.

7. Oski2005

Oski2005 Contributing Member

You are a moron if you think LeBron will play for less than a max contract. This is the guy who says he wants to be the first billionaire athlete.

8. Grimm920

Grimm920 Member

He can try all he wants to reach a billion but if anyone is going to achieve that its Tiger.

Lebron James coming to Houston would be awesome but I wouldn't hold my breath. If he is looking for a team to win a championship then maybe but if he's just looking for a place to be the highlight then NY is his new home... Oh and him leaving Cleveland to go to NJ or NY isn't going to increase his chances of winning a ring because those teams are horrendous

9. 523744

523744 Member

Hes only 25 years old why would he take less money to go to a "contender?" He can do that 10 years from now.. Now what would be great is if some chinese company would give him some ridiculously lucrative chinese marketing contract if he signs with the rockets and plays with yao then maybe that would bring him over, but very unlikely

10. Convictedstupid

Tiger already achieved it. Like a month ago.

11. alcatrazpsycho

I never quite understood valuing athletes. How is 10-12 million an insult compared to 20 million? Is it that difficult to put food on the table? Or he won't be able to buy as many mansions, cars, private jets? I don't get it. I thought he had a $90 million contract with Nike or something.

Oh wait, I forgot what philanthropists professional athletes were. My bad. Insulting indeed.

12. BetterThanEver

A $10 mil pay cut is huge, unless you are Bill Gates.

13. fadeaway

fadeaway Contributing Member

Lebron James a Rocket???

maybe maybe no...

14. desi tmac91

desi tmac91 Member

Won't happen but I wouldn't rule out the possibility.

In a recent article Lebron did mention winning was important than a max deal, but you can't take this word.

15. kenwonobi

kenwonobi Member

We can. it might take not resigning our free agents and letting Tmac go though. In fact I know thats what it will take. We will theoretically have the enough money to interest him at least a bit then. We would have to let go of Scola in that scenario and Tmac. I will be willing to go with Landry as our starting Powerforward if Lebron is the tradeoff. Then that teams starters would look like Yao, Landry, Lebron, Ariza, and Brooks. He would come to this team for a chance at greatness better than any other team has with the money to match almost everyone. He could make up the minor difference in cash in his China dealings and fanbase there.

16. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

We Have A Great Chance For LeBron
    _____

[​IMG]

17. desi tmac91

desi tmac91 Member

Where did he say this?

18. kenwonobi

kenwonobi Member

It wont be only 10 million if we dont resign Scola, Pops, and Brian Cook giving us 18 million to start in the first year. We would have to lose Scola as our only contributer to this team out of those guys anyways. Start Landry with Hayes as his backup. Assuming it is only 10 million we have and not more like 13 million which would bring us to 20 million to offer if we dont resign those players which isnt taken into account. Some of you are only taking off Tmacs contract as taking us into our money available for Lebron and others. What say if you have Amare and Bosh? You gonna bring back Scola then? You would let him walk and Tmac in order to give them a contract and start at powerforward instead. Some of you arent seriusly thinking. :cool:

19. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

20. ashiin

ashiin Member

Ok, say we keep all the players we have on the roster right now and go into the offseason with the intention to sign all our own free agents (scola, lowry etc), how much money would we have left to sign the king?

If he does slap on the rockets jersey I'm going to cry. Happy tears of course.