1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. LIVE WATCH EVENT
    The NBA Draft is here! Come join Clutch in the ClutchFans Room Wednesday night at 6:30pm CT as we host the live online NBA Draft Watch Party. Who will the Rockets select at #3?

NBA Draft - LIVE!

Avery is an a$$

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by BigSherv, Jun 19, 2006.

1. rage

rage Member

I have always thought it was a back court violation until today.
    I did some research and found discussions at some referee's websites that says this is a relative new rule that allows this situation within the last 2 minutes of the 4th quarter.
    I wish the NBA would just come out and spell it out for us rather than having this rule book with hard-to-read lawyer-type language like they have now.

2. ShadowProphet

ShadowProphet Member

then why cant a guy who is standing out of bounds and see the ball coming at him jump (catch while he is in the air) get the ball and step back in? i still think im right about this. HOWEVER...NOW THAT IT WAS MENTIONED BY SUPERTRUCK97, PLAY HADNT STARTED YET SO THAT MAY/PROBABLY HAVE MADE THE DIFFERENCE THERE.

3. ShadowProphet

ShadowProphet Member

if ur talking about inbounding to the backcourt in the last 2 mins of the 4th+ quarters...we know, thats not what we were argueing. if u did find something about what we are actually agrueing, i would like to see it if i may.

4. biggz

biggz Member

We're waiting.....

Don't Stutter!

5. HillBoy

HillBoy Contributing Member

Avery was extremely frustrated that the officials allowed Miami to turn this series into a wrestling match. He was also frustrated with his team not stepping up to the physical challenge posed by the Heat. That exchange showed that his frustration is starting to boil over. He and his players are also feeling the pressure as Dirk & the rest are starting to look like the proverbial deer in the headlamps. He, Cuban and the rest never thought - no believed - that the Heat could take them for 3 straight games. To me, that's natural because the Mavs have never been here (Finals) before and until you live through something like this, it's hard to understand what it's like.

6. Mr Boo

Mr Boo Contributing Member

The Mavs Camp are simply complaining way too much. Wade committed a backcourt violation. Stack didn't deserve to be suspended. Look at the FT descrepency. Josh Howard didn't call a timeout.

For all their whining and complaining, they really should point the fingers at themselves. I mean really, they want equality? The NBA hasn't been like that ever...everyone knows already that superstars get special treatment, and that it isn't uncommon that the home court teams get the 50/50 calls and so forth.

I'll break it down:
    Stack's suspension was warranted and consistent with what's been called in the playoffs.

The FT descrepncy can be attributed to the Hack a Shaq policy which not only puts Shaq on the line, but it also puts the Mavs earlier in the penalty. Futhermore, the way that Shaq and Wade play engenders alot of fouls and even further, it's a Heat Home Game, not a Mavs one.

And Josh Howard didn't call a timeout? Give me a break...video has already proven that a timeout was indeed called.

Wade's so called backcourt violation wasn't a violation and if it ended up being that I'm wrong about this, and I've misinterpreted the rules, it's still not the reason why the Mavs lost the game.

Bottom Line. The Mavs had a chance to take Game 5, and they simply fell short and failed to take it. The opportunity was there for them...despite all the "advantages" the Heat had, and they simply failed to put the ball in the basket (2 Missed FT by J. Howard and 1 Missed FT by Dirk). Look in the mirror Mavs....

7. Pistol Pete

Pistol Pete Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I was embarrased for Avery when he treated Sefko that way. Avery was pissed over the call but didn't have the stones to say it himself, so he wanted Sefko to whine for him. Then when Sefko wouldn't take the bait, Avery took a cheap shot at him with the stuttering crap. That was pathetic.

Avery needed to take some of the blame for that foul. He should not have had his players scrambling after Wade all over the damn court. If he was going to get beat on a foul, it was gonna be a guy fouling while chasing the offensive player from the backcourt to the front court. If his players had been in front of Wade and under control, they most likely would have gotten away with that degree of a foul.

Avery also needs to calm down on the sidelines. It's silly to stay worked up over every call and be in animated state when you are trying to relay information to your players at a critical juncture of the game. If you are out of control, your players will be too.

8. rage

rage Member

We were talking about the exact thing you mentioned here.
    I used to think there were 2 different situations but they are the same within the last 2 minutes of the 4th quarter.

1) If you have both feet on the floor on the backcourt and the ball is inbounded from the frontcourt to you, it is NOT a violation. Easy, everyone agree.

2) Wade's case:
    If you have both feet on the floor on the frontcourt, jump in the air, land on the back court and the ball is inbounded from the frontcourt to you, it is NOT a violation either.
    I've always thought # 2 was a backcourt violation until I did some research and found that the rule was changed a few years ago to allow it.
    The relative new rule says