1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. LIVE WATCH EVENT
    The NBA Draft is here! Come join Clutch in the ClutchFans Room Wednesday night at 6:30pm CT as we host the live online NBA Draft Watch Party. Who will the Rockets select at #3?

NBA Draft - LIVE!

Avery is an a$$

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by BigSherv, Jun 19, 2006.

1. twhy77

twhy77 Contributing Member

Great article today by the way. The Dallas radio guys were talking about it and what you said about Marquis. You oughta try and get on the Ticket, they are right up there with Dallas is acting like a bunch of crybabies bandwagon. Only thing I disagree with (and this is only after seeing the pics) was that Wade really was fouled, just not by Dirk.

2. KellyDwyer

KellyDwyer Contributing Member

Thanks. I'm getting a lot of (rightful) crap for my absolute "Devin Harris didn't foul him" bit, but Dirk was called for the foul by a guy standing at the 27-foot hash mark (or whatever it is) and he didn't foul him. I don't do much radio anymore, I'm pretty selective about it. It takes away from time spent on CC.net.

Avery's killing me with the lack of Marquis. Everyone should go to mysynergysports.com to see what Daniels did to Wade during that game in Miami last December. It wasn't a dominant shutdown, but it was years better than Harris and Griffin's work.

3. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

How is that a ridiculous question? It was a question about the play that decided the most important basketball game of the season.

I'd be extremely cordial. Avery is getting paid millions of dollars to do what he loves, teach basketball. All he has to do for his team and the league is calmly field a few questions for about five minutes. If not for the media, no one is watching and caring about these games and they certainly aren't making the salaries they are. Given how lucky Avery is to be in his position, the LEAST he can do for both his team and the league is take five or so minutes after a game (win or lose) and field a few routine questions like every other coach on every other team in every single sport. It's not as if Sefko was making fun of him or anything. It was a legitimate question that ideally deserved a response, or at worst no comment. It wasn't out of line.

4. rimbaud

rimbaud Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Yeah, when I heard him that it was Sefko from the Dallas Morning News I couldn't believe Avery treated him like that. I have fond memories of Sefko during our championship years and you don't treat your own beat writer like that. He is the one guy that will really be writing his article from your side, Avery.

5. macalu

macalu Contributing Member

i thought this was the best part of the press conference. the reporter obviously didn't want to say what was true, and that is the call was pure BS. i don't care. down with Dallas, baby.

"you don't need to stutter." ahahhaahhahaha

6. tigermission1

tigermission1 Contributing Member

Avery is normally a good guy, but he didn't act like a 'man of God' in the post-game conference last night. Let's just say it wasn't his best moment, but we all slip some times, and that was such a moment for him.

7. YallMean

YallMean Member

I completely lost respect to Avery. I always though he is a good coach who is just a little inexperienced in handling thing. But this is cowardish. You dont take it out on a news reporter no matter what. Geez. This to me warrants a suspension. What is he trying to achieve? To me that's a fair question and an opptunity to let everybody know what was going on and why he thinks it's unfair to them Instead of he acts like a drunken that lost his mind.

8. thacabbage

thacabbage Contributing Member

Agreed. I thought the whole incident was rather humorous until I heard it was Sefko. Sefko is like family after covering those two title runs.

9. countingcrow

countingcrow Contributing Member

10. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Agreed. This wasn't Avery Johnson's finest hour.

On your other post: Marquis was pathetic during garbage time in Game 4. Last night, he didn't look fluid to me despite the lucky 3pt hoist but his stat line was OK all things considered. Obviously AJ must consider giving Marquis some minutes in game 6 on the defensive end against Wade. If you ask me, when Wade takes over late in games, nobody can stop him. The Mavs need to send two guys after him with 6-7 minutes left in the game to take the ball out of his hands. Wade is carrying the Heat on his back and I don't think they have anyone else capable of hitting 2-3 big shots near the end of a close game.

11. aboinamedray

aboinamedray Contributing Member

its called showing your true colors. how many times can it not be "avery's finest hour." hes done this on numerous occasions. its not how you act when everythings going fine and dandy that defines you. its how you act when you have to deal with pressure and in avery's case, losing.

sorry for getting serious. that whole team is a bunch of punanies though. its weird how the mavs really are starting to take the shape/attitude of cuban though, starting from him all the way down to the players.

12. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

like when? he's hyper but I've never seen him berate a member of the media. you guys are hilarious, not defending avery but a lot of coach's are known as dicks to the media.

13. intermill

intermill Contributing Member

When have you heard him do this before? I live in Dallas and listen to The Ticket every day. I have never heard of anything close to this from Avery. The guys on the radio today were saying that Avery was out of character during the press conference.

Some of the things being said in all these Mavs Threads are crazy and so off base. I am almost convinced that Cuban is the Devil himself.

14. Rockets Dynasty

Let's get real here.

if anyone associated with the Rockets acted like Cuban, Dirk, Stackhouse, Avery, or Josh Howard in a playoff series not only would the be suspended, they would be fined an absurd amount and threatened with being kick3ed out of the league.

Listening to the team that gets more special treatment and calls (had their first round series last year handed to them) is beyond ridiculous.

The Mavs are looking more and more like the Shaq Kobe Lakers.

They also are eerily similar to the NBA version of the Colts.

Cuban staring down Stern was priceless.

Just go watch the replays, Wade was fouled all over the damn place, Howard made a stupid huge error, Avery has been outcoached in the last 3 games, Dirk is proving he's still as soft as ever.

But the refs don't hand it to them on a silver platter so they act like a bunch of freaking spoiled little brats.

15. dream2franchise

That staring down thing has me thinking that Cuban watches way too much wrestling.

16. Rockets Dynasty

Yeah that was just hilarious.

17. ShadowProphet

ShadowProphet Member

anyone would be mad after a loss like that but avery still should have contained himself properly. properly, as in show his emotions and such but dont try belittle the reporter for making a fairly legit question. also. im all for watching the mavs go down but i would like a fair game. i noticed the same thing cuban argued about wade jumping from the frontcourt and catching the ball in the air then landing in the backcourt. a similar thing happened on my old 8th grade team and the violation was called against us...thats how badly the reffs missed the call...when a middle school ref recognizes it and the nba ref doesnt.

18. dandorotik

dandorotik Contributing Member

Except that you're allowed to do this with 2 minutes and under in the 4th quarter of an NBA game. That's the rule.

19. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

So when are we going to hear the apology from Cuban to the officials, and the NBA? Some time after hell freezes over. I hope the guy gets smacked with another giant fine. I thought some of the earlier fines laid on Cuban were rediculous, but no longer. The guy, in my opinion, should be slapped down hard. I'm not a big fan of Stern, by any means, but what Cuban is doing is simply a distraction the fans and the NBA do not need. The focus should be on basketball.

20. aaaa

aaaa Member

ok, but u fail to mention that middle school games aren't called the same way. In the nba, u can inbound and throw it to the backcourt if it's in the last 2 minutes of the game. It's a relatively new rule. I'm not saying it was a backcourt violation or not, but it's a really REALLY close call.

SO NO, they did not miss it that badly. Even after we have FRIGGIN YOUTUBE videos slow down the play, people still argue. It was a close call.