1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Available Wing Players: Shooters & Defense

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by yobod, May 17, 2013.

1. SuperStar

SuperStar Member

Guy is such a competitor, even while sitting on the bench he's playing defense.

2. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

By wasting significant cap space to sign a guy who's not really going to play much? We need the cap space elsewhere. Our defense will naturally improve with experience and when we sign another star.

3. Type Raba

Type Raba Member

Dunleavy for sure. i also would love to see redick as a sixth man if we can somehow afford him. need to replace delfino with someone more consistent.

4. DonatasFanboy

DonatasFanboy Member

you didn't have the worst defense.

5. yobod

yobod Member

It's a given that we go after Dwight Howard, and Chris Paul with a max offer. These are just secondary additions to the team if we have extra cap of course. I'm sure Morey has a few trades up his sleeve to ship out DMo, Jones, White, Smith, Anderson, Ohlbrecht, and Robinson if he needs to make room.

6. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

You don't ship out all that young talent for room to sign a "secondary" piece, which i wouldn't even call secondary. This piece would be on the bench.

7. yobod

yobod Member

We're in win now mode. If it takes giving away James Anderson, and Greg Smith to make room to sign Tony Allen. Why wouldn't you do it? Those guys are easily replaceable on the cheap. There's a big difference between rebuilding and instantly becoming contenders and making moves towards a championship run.

8. Akim523

Akim523 Member

Yes I would LOOOOOVVE to have Tony Allen on this team

9. Akim523

Akim523 Member

Parsons more beautiful...

10. quinnolivarez

quinnolivarez Member

We don't need more 3s. We took a near-record-amount last season! We need wing and transition defense. I say sign Iguodala to 4 years / 55mill if either (a) Dwight signs and we are able to trade Asik in the deal to clear some cap space, or (b) if we whiff on d12, we can afford to overpay a little for a guy like iguodala bc of the ample cap room we have. Could slide Parsons over to the 4. Iguodala is an ELITE wing defender, one of the best in the league.

11. ivenovember

ivenovember Member

Tony Allen will probably get $6 mil a year, maybe up to $8 mil even, depending on what teams have cap space. I like Cleveland going after him to help on the wing.

Corey Brewer is a much more realistic option in my opinion and Garcia would be solid too if does not generate much interest on the FA market.

12. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

Yes, but he is a defensive liability. We need a veteran 4 and a backup 2-3 who can shoot and defend.
    I expect Parsons to defend more next season, and hopefully Harden too. Dunleavy won't come cheap.

13. yobod

yobod Member

I think I'd rather offer both Tony Allen and Dunleavy 4 years $25M.

What do you guys think: Tony Allen and Mike Dunleavy or Andre Iguodala?

14. yobod

yobod Member

Dunleavy currently makes $3.75M, not sure how much a raise he'll command.

15. quinnolivarez

quinnolivarez Member

I don't feel like Tony Allen would be content with coming off the bench. I also don't like the idea of him starting at SF for us because he's a little undersized to guard opposing SFs. Additionally, TA would not spread the court for us. Iguodala doesn't spread the court, but is an excellent passer, and can create shots for others. Allen is incapable of that kind of impact offensively. Lastly, I feel like the chances of Memphis letting TA walk are lower than the chances that Denver does the same with AI.

Mike Dunleavy is not as good of a ball handler as he is being lauded for on this forum. The current love for him reminds me of this forum's past love affair with Kirk Hinrich. He is a mediocre player, and doesn't seem to fit Morey's style of FA signings. Even if he was signed, it would be for a small contract considering his age and overall skill level; subsequently, I don't think signing AI and Dunleavy would conflict in any way.

16. yobod

yobod Member

We also need to remember that Parsons will probably command at least 5yrs/$50M when his contract is up. Morey will have to decide if he wants to trade him while his value is high or hold off on certain free agent signings so that we can make Parsons that offer later on. Signing something like Igoudala to a big long term contract might will mean that we lose Parsons.

17. quinnolivarez

quinnolivarez Member

Parsons can't get 5/50. He was a 2nd round pick, subsequently, he is only eligible for the 3yr/25.1 mill deal Asik and Lin got because of the Arenas rule in the CBA. Additionally, owning his bird rights lets us go over the cap to re-sign him. Les has, in the past, shown a willingness to pay the tax for good teams, so I don't think this would be much an issue.

18. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

This is not an immediate concern, get a big first.Parsons isn't going anywhere right now.

19. yobod

yobod Member

Kevin Martin: $12M
    Kris Humphries: $12M
    Ben Gordon: $12M
    Luol Deng: $13M
    Andre Igoudala: $15M
    Hedo Turkgalu: $12M
    Jose Calderon: $11M
    Corey Maggette: $11M
    Nicolas Batum: $11M
    Richard Jefferson: $10M
    Stephen Jackson: $10M

Someone will offer Parsons 5 years, 50M.

20. yobod

yobod Member

Nevermind, I just read your CBA rules about 3 years, $25M.