1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Available Big Men?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Pipe, Aug 24, 2005.

1. Pipe

Pipe Member

Who are the available big men that the Rox could add as the 5th big man behind Yao, Deke, JH, and Stromile?

I believe our most likely route is to cut someone from the end of the bench and sign an unrestricted free agent for the vet minimum, or we trade someone, subject to CBA and other factors that the capologists know better than I. I hope they don't trade one of the six non-big rotation players (TMac, Wesley, Barry, DA, Sura, or James), but anything is posssible.

Summer league: Bad-Man or Baxter

Some old Rox: Torraye Braggs, Kevin Willis

Other guys who may be available: Laettner, DeClerq, Elden Campbell, Bo Outlaw.

I know I missed a bunch. Also, there may be some players that come available later based on roster cuts. We haven't added an old broken down Knick yet this offseason, so I guess JVG could bring PEwe out of retirement. ;)

2. Jack Hammer

Jack Hammer Member

I'd take Christian Laettner as a third cog behind both Yao and Dikembe, and Stromile and Juwan, in a heartbeat. Excellent passer with a good shooting touch, can play both 4 and 5 positions. He would be an absolute bargain at the veteran's minimum, which is all we could offer if I'm not mistaken.

3. Rob English

Rob English Member

I heard somewhere Baxter was asking for too much money. Don't remember the exact details.

4. Jack Hammer

Jack Hammer Member

I'd be happy with Lonnie Baxter too!

5. Desert Scar

Desert Scar Member

I am sure Baxter would take a one or two year deal for the vet min. Maybe he would even take a two year deal with a team option, giving us even more control. The cost problem (approaching lux tax) is that we would have to waive Ward and sign him on top.

Oh, I would like Baxter more than most available. He would be cheap and maybe develop into a long term solid back-up. With Yao, SS, JH and Deke (and Bowen who has played a lot of PF) it isn't like we need immediate help.

6. macfan

macfan Member

I'd trade T-Mac out of that list

7. arkoe

arkoe (ง'̀-'́)ง

No kidding, that guy sucks.

8. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

Lonnie Baxter would be fine with me.

9. Pipe

Pipe Member

LOL! :D

I knew when I wrote it that it could be misinterpreted. I was merely analyzing the roster by position by separating the big roster players from the rest, but you knew that ...

:)

I would really like to know who else is out there. I wouldn't mind Baxter at all, if we can sign him. But I am not sure about his defense or rebounding, which is what I really want from my 5th big man, not necessarily low post scoring.

If Baxter's not available, out of my short list I like Willis. Despite being older than Van Chancellor's mother, KW is a true big that we may need if Yao or Deke misses any substantial time due to injury, and he will be in shape (!), do whatever asked (including giving 6 hard fouls), and not mess with the team chemistry.

10. mogrod

mogrod Member

I wouldn't mind Mikki Moore.

He is kind of Tyson Chandler-light. But, he is tall, athletic, can block some shots and runs the court well. As a third big guy on the depth chart (whether it be PF or C), you could do worse.

But, then again, there is no way he would become a Rocket. He is not worth enough to S&T for him and the Rockets don't have any money to sign him outright.

11. coolweather

coolweather Contributing Member

Andre the Giant??

Seriously, how about Karl Malone?

12. f33lsogood

f33lsogood Member

some old rox:
    Chucky Brown
    Pete Chillcut
    OT
    Tabak

13. aries323

aries323 Member

just sign that big chinese guy ming ming or whatever :eek:

14. trifle3A

trifle3A Member

scott paget

15. Jacquescas

Jacquescas Member

pat ewing >!>!>!>!

16. rvpals

rvpals Member

They said Ming Ming has some serious medical condition needs surgery. I think he's going to be a long term project that might not pan out.