1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Live Rockets Discussion
    We are ONE DAY AWAY from the NBA Draft and knowing what the Rockets will do with the #3 selection. We're talking Rockets and the NBA Draft LIVE at 8:00pm CT!

Talking Rockets - LIVE!
  3. LIVE WATCH EVENT
    The NBA Draft is here! Come join Clutch in the ClutchFans Room Wednesday night at 6:30pm CT as we host the live online NBA Draft Watch Party. Who will the Rockets select at #3?

NBA Draft - LIVE!

AUUUUUUUUGH!!! Led Zeppelin to reunite, tour...

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by BrianKagy, Oct 14, 2002.

Tags:
  1. HayesStreet

HayesStreet Member

I saw The Who and the Stones and they were old as dirt but still rocked. I'm in for Zep 100%. The Who was louder than Metallica.

And there's nothing wrong with Tony Bennett...

2. across110thstreet

across110thstreet Contributing Member

this is the holiest day of my life..... thanks Kagy

I'm just glad that Plant and Page got over their hangups with
    JPJ.and its cool to see Jason Bonham behind the skins.

"Bring it On HOme, Bring it On Home TO YOu....."

3. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Submitted with little comment, except that I want to make it clear that I think Tony Bennett is the ****, and I own more albums of his than I do Zep albums. Also, this image of Page resonates nicely with Elvis C.'s description of his solos.

4. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

lets see we have reunions/tours from: The Who, The Stones, The Doors, Black Sabbath, Led Zep, and i'm sure a few Reo Speedwagon types---- overkill ya think?:rolleyes:

5. pasox2

pasox2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

btw - Zep sucks. Fine in 30 sec. doses - but who wants a 6 min drum solo? The sh*! just does not rock. Dra...gging beats. Blah. Tell them to find the edit function, 30 years later. Put down the hash pipe, fogeys. Those should be 1:30 songs.

6. Pole

Pole Houston Rockets--Tilman Fertitta's latest mess.

Well Pasox, I must admit; when I saw your post, the first thing I thought was: ten year old.

After all, even my highschool nephews know a good thing when they hear it.

So I checked your profile. Birthday in '66!!!!!

Does not compute.

So.......just so I have a reference point, would you mind telling me what doesn't suck?

7. red

red Contributing Member

10 bucks says he says creed...

8. pasox2

Supporting Member

Well...

A long time ago, back when I was a young punk, Led Zepplin was The Enemy : the very definition of bloated, corporate, AOR, geezer, dinosaur rock. Anyone schooled in punk's ethos made fun of the ridiculous LOTR posings, the endless self-indulgent noodling breaks, the acoustic faux-folkie intimacy, guitar-god posings, drum solos. A cartoon of bad rock cliches, the opposite of the direct approach - harder faster stronger. Unfortunately, Soundgarden and others convinced many to revise the ethos so Chris Cornell could do his yodeller impression. Sludge-rock had new champions, and the dinosaurs walked the earth again. If you can be concise, and put that backward guitar grinding into the mud into a SONG, great - you've got some power. Mudhoney had some moments, esp the Iggy Pop cover. However, if the LZ formula takes over - song structure vanishes and the drone remains the same for 10-12 minutes of audio wank. The idea that simple blues songs with direct messages - Sex now! You hurt me,FU! Party! - would be better stretched out by English **** rock white boys into stairway to heaven is anathema to me, even 15 years later. Yes, Zep has moments of brilliance, that work well as samples, but I think if you dust off the misplaced reverence and feel-good familiarity bestowed on those records, you'd find they're not that good.

My opinion.

9. Roc Paint

Roc Paint Contributing Member

Leatherface? How can you say that about the best vocailst of all-time. :confused:

I must say I saw them at the Woodlands Pavilion a few years back, and they rocked.

count me in... :)

10. Elvis Costello

With all due respect, rubbish. Look, I think punk was a positive development, especially in the context of demystifying the Rock God BS that bands like Led Zeppelin exemplified. The DIY ethos aside, the problem with Punk101 version 2002 is that it is the most conservative form of music outside of bluegrass. Your post exemplifies that. Correct me if I am wrong, but any type of pop music that does not conform to a three minute "song structure" would be, by your definition, "audio wank." Zeppelin has a lot to answer for- they spawned a lot of crap, but so did the Beatles, Velvet Underground and the Sex Pistols. The bad rock cliches that you mentioned in conjunction with Led Zeppelin now extend to the punk generation 25 years on. We mean it, maaan! Punk is just your version of a comfy worn out sweater that is devoid of its original shape and meaning, just like some people might prefer their Zeppelin cardigan. Instead of dusting off 25 year old arguments, dust off your older brother's copy of "Houses of the Holy" and listen anew ; ).

11. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

Amen to that.

Speak for yourself! :) There's plenty of exciting new rock out there.

12. Htownhero

Htownhero Member

Who? I'm not being a smart ass, I'm seriously looking to try some new music.

13. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

Want a whole lotta dough
    Want a whole lotta dough
    Want a whole lotta dough

Led Zeppelin World Tour 2002-03: sponsored by:

Depends.

Robert Plant: Sometimes when I'm reaching for that high note, I just tend to crap my pants, you know? Thank God for Depends (t.m. - all rights reserved). I might get a little lumpy on stage, but I can always duck out and change during Jimmy's guitar solos.

14. HayesStreet

HayesStreet Member

****ing A, Elvis. Let 'em have it with both barrels. :) I don't understand why it matters that they're old. Or that they'll make money doing it. People want to see it, so what's the problem. Sure they won't be masterpieces like 'Beat on the Brat,' lol, but who cares.

#34 HayesStreet, Oct 15, 2002
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 15, 2002
  15. RocketsPimp

RocketsPimp Contributing Member

Typical punk rant. Theres a quote from Up In Smoke that goes something like this: Punk doesn't take talent, all you have to do is go out and act like punks.

16. haven

haven Member

Great band. Great music. I missed them the first time around due to the unfortunate circumstance of my not having been born yet. Am looking forward to seeing them now, even in reduced form.

I'm glad they're touring again.

LZ can be pretentious, but some of it is just fantastic. And I don't think their moments of sublimity just come in 10 second samples, either. Yeah, the STH guitar solo is great... but there's not a song on that album that I skip when it's playing. I'm not a Zepellin expert... but I've never regretted purchasing any of their albums, and that's a lot more than you can say for most bands.

Oddly, the Page & Planet stuff has the opposite effect on me. I usually like LZ stuff more by the 10th listen than the 1st... Page & Plant grows thin after a while.

17. dimsie

dimsie Member

Listen, if it's a choice between the Sex Pistols and Emerson Lake and Palmer, I know whose side I'm on. The whole *point* of punk was that you didn't have to have huge chops but you could still rock. However, that doesn't mean a lot of old-school punks didn't have talent. Of *course* they did. Jeez.

Zep have enough defenders here. But I don't hate them or anything. That fish-f*ck groupie story alone is worth their existence as a band. ;)

And HS, don't you be mean to the Ramones, man. :p

18. pasox2

Supporting Member

"Beat on the Brat" IS a masterpiece. ;) It's absolutely 100% perfect. It should be mandatory "American Idol" material. Carry that one off, Ms. Kelly Clarkson. Come to think of it, "Communication Breakdown" might also make an interesting test-piece. I wonder how Justin Guarani would work in those butterfly hip-huggers? Hmm, if it IS all about the money, maybe they should just drop him into the reunion tour.

19. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

LZ 1 and 2 riff rock at its best simple and raw. The rest for me at least is something i'll throw on from time to time- great music, but overproduced- to much of a good thing...

20. asw

asw Member

You have got to be kidding me... Sure you are entitled to your opinion, but please have a credible one, or keep it to yourself. Zeppelin was the enemy to punks, because it is natural to insult that what you do not understand. Understanding punk is easy if you try. Rebelious individuals striving to be different and establish their identity seperate from the generations before them. Why would you get what is popular? You and many others rebelled. That in no way is an indicator of an intelligent point as to the viability or credibility of the music to which you do not understand. Seems to me that since your youth and rebellion you have never even listened to Zeppelin, but simply been on a campaign for 25 years to rebel and discredit it. Whatever, man!

It is a shame that 50 years from now they will still be garnering a whole new group of teenage fans that get turned on to the awesome nature of their music. Whatever they do as old farts has no bearing whatsoever on whether their music is brilliant, entertaining and lasting. So, I guess, if Beethoven had needed money in his later years, or just wanted to continue to play live and relive his youth or whatever, and he started a tour then all of a sudden his music is corporate b*llsh*t. The best music of all time, stands the test of time. Let's see where the best punk bands stand in history when we are all old farts, and let's see where Zeppelin stands.

Oh, I can see your comeback now.... of course Zep will be more popular in 50 years, because of coporate people shoving the crap down everyone's mug. Obviously you are unaware of the fact the band was NEVER a popular radio band until well after they were drawing the largest rock and roll crowds ever. Also, their songs were never top twenty. They broke all the rules by not even identifying their fourth album, and yet it is one of the top selling albums of all time. They played long songs that you make fun of, and were breaking the rules to do that. They were told that they would never be big just because of the quality of their music, but they needed to right songs that worked for radio.

This band broke up over twenty years ago and demand was sooo great that they finally were drawn to relive their past. I don't see anybody begging old punk bands to get back together and tour. But, that is not an indictment of punk music, all music is viable if it entertains people. I make the point to say, don't knock Zep! If you don't like it, your loss.