1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

AUUUUUUUUGH!!! Led Zeppelin to reunite, tour...

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by BrianKagy, Oct 14, 2002.

Tags:
  1. BrianKagy

BrianKagy Contributing Member

Featuring Leatherface on lead vocals, apparently.

This sucks. THEY suck. This will suck.

2. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

Can't tell if your kidding or not about whether it really will suck or your actually being sarcastic and looking forward to it.

It should be interesting...I will give it that much. I don't think Plant has much left in his voice at this stage of his career. It may be the first time they all play sober together ;). I will enjoy watching Page try to play the old songs with the same fervor that he did way back when(and put down the acoustic for crying out loud; we need some heavy ass rock n' roll this time around).

One thing for sure...this tour will make buttloads of money. That appears to be what it is all about. Just another band capitalizing on the reunion tour. Whose next?

3. Pole

Pole Houston Rockets--Tilman Fertitta's latest mess.

I saw Page/Plant and enjoyed it. The Eagles aren't spring chickens either, and I just saw them a few months ago. If anything, they were better. Hell, I've probably been to over a thousand live music shows and probably around a hundred major concerts. That Eagles concert is probably the best I've ever witnessed.

Led Zep is my all-time favorite blues band, and they play some pretty good rock & roll too. I don't care if this has some money motivating factors or not. Count me in.

4. A-Train

A-Train Contributing Member

IT'S BEEN A LONG TIME, BEEN A LONG TIME, BEEN A LONG LONELY--HACK!--LONELY--COUGH!--LONE----COUGH!! COUGH!! HACK!! WHEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEZE!

(thump!)

Ladies and gentleman, due to the unexpected voice loss of Robert Plant, the lead vocals will now be taken over by Mr. Axl Rose!

5. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

A music industry insider said: “They had so many hits that I am sure the reunion would be a major success.”

This quote was clearly given by someone in the know.

6. mateo

mateo Contributing Member

I believe in a Maxim interview Plant said he cant hit the high notes of Black Dog anymore. I wonder if he's getting some vocal therapy or if they will just bypass some of the screamier stuff.

I'd still buy a ticket. Page and Plant was great.

If only Pink Floyd would make up with Roger Waters, man that would be amazing.

7. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

First you have to get Pink Floyd back together without Roger Waters :D . In fact, just recently CNN had a news interview with David Gilmour and the news article was entitled "Pigs will fly before Pink Floyd gets back together" or something. Gilmour said he is having much more fun doing his own thing and being unnoticed. He hasn't even really spoken to any of the rest of the key players of the band. He said work involved in putting together a new album and tour is something he doesn't want to do because of the amount of effort required.

I highly doubt we see a new Pink Floyd album or tour ever again. I won't hold my breath. Hell, it took them years just to release a Pink Floyd DVD which comes out in November("Pulse" I think).

Oh he did say "never say never..." so maybe in a few years we hope.

Surf

8. rockHEAD

rockHEAD Contributing Member

I hear Paul and Ringo are getting back together!

9. Jeff

Jeff Clutch Crew

Another example of how bad the music business really is. Kids just don't go to concerts - Britney Spears doesn't even sell out every arena - but a Styx/Foreigner show has people lining up.

It is 2002 and the best record out there is Bruce Springsteen's new one. I mean this with no disrespect to the Boss or to any other artist on radio, but at his age, he should not be releasing rock records that are better than anyone else on radio. Period.

Even Born to Run, probably his best record though I'm not really a conisseur of Springsteen, had a tremendous amount of competition. Not so today.

10. RocketsPimp

RocketsPimp Contributing Member

I also went to Page/Plant and had a great time. I'm definitely in for this one.

11. Batman Jones

Batman Jones Contributing Member

Back around 1990 I saw a Led Zeppelin reunion set (Jason Bonham on drums) at the Atlantic Records 40th Anniversary show at Madison Square Garden and they were amazing. The show was supposed to feature the Stones, the Who, Led Zep and many others. A lot of the promised acts backed out, so we got double sets from Roberta Flack and Phil Collins. The show, which ran at least six hours, was generally lame. But Led Zeppelin was amazing.

12. BrianKagy

BrianKagy Contributing Member

I was being serious. This is Hakeem in a Raptors uniform. This is Namath playing for the Rams. This is running into my grandmother at a bar and having her tell me she's dating again.

Led Zeppelin's music embodied things that I just do not want to see emanating from 60-yr-old men. I don't want to see Plant shaking his artificial hips. I don't want to watch Page squint through his bifocals and try to figure out what's next on the setlist.

The members of Zeppelin made such a big deal out of the integrity of their music and their band. As recently as the Page/Plant days, their interviews were filled with expositions of Zeppelin's "legacy" and how distasteful overly commercial artists were.

A few short years later, "Rock N Roll" is used in Cadallic commercials and these geriatrics are reforming to headline the Dinosaurs of Rock tour. Pathetic.

13. subtomic

subtomic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Count me out. Robert Plant couldn't hit the high notes to Black Dog in The Song Remains the Same. I don't think his voice is any less strained 25 years later. At least Plant and Page are including Jones this time. I thought it was really uncool of them to leave him out the last time.

BTW, has PinkFloyd been inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame? I'm sure the live sets would suck like they usually do, but I think watching Roger Waters and David Gilmour up at the podium together could make for some hilariously bitter acceptance speeches.

Roger Waters: I founded the band, I wrote all the good albums and somehow this (bleep)head gets the bloody courts to give him control of the band.

David Gilmour: That's what you get for being a grumpy prick all those years.

14. RocketMan Tex

RocketMan Tex Contributing Member

If you're looking in arenas or at the top of the charts for good music, you are looking in the wrong damn places.

15. Nuggets4

Nuggets4 Contributing Member

Best post I've seen in a long time.

Besides, no Bonham, no Zep. Simple as that.

16. RocketsPimp

RocketsPimp Contributing Member

But none of them are going to score!

Plant won't sound like he did 20-25 years ago, but who does? Even 7 years ago at the Page/Plant concert he wasn't able to reach the high notes, but in a large venue(and it will be a large one) it won't matter as much. I've never put too much weight on an artists vocals at a live concert, unless it was completely apparent that they could no longer carry a tune(something Plant still can do).

At least their music will still be close to true to form, something Hakeem, Namath and your granny never will be again.

17. red

red Contributing Member

count me in too. i was too young to catch led zeppelin in their hay day. even if Plant's voice is wanning, it'll be better than sitting at home not seeing it.

18. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

I've heard that he's going to "lounge it." That is drop the high parts an octave and smooth over it a la Tony Bennett.

[​IMG]
    "Way down inside... hey (snaps fingers, winks) ... woman, you need me."

19. rockHEAD

rockHEAD Contributing Member

HEY! I'd pay to see Led Zeppelin: Lounge

20. Elvis Costello

I have more faith in Robert Plant performing well than Jimmy Page at this point in their careers. Good God, he can't get through a guitar solo without turning it into a drooling atonal mess. On the other hand, Led Zeppelin in Depends is still better than Creed.